Anyone else in the military?

amorevelo

Feb 17, 2004
Hi y'all, I just barely got into the fleet, and I'm wondering if I'm the only one out here in the military that reads this. If you are let me know how you get around everyday work in order to train and race, it's a bit crazy right now. Also if your in the military and have been to Iraq, how do you keep in shape over there, I'll be leaving after this season myself and I'm looking for ideas.

Originally posted by amorevelo
Hi y'all, I just barely got into the fleet, and I'm wondering if I'm the only one out here in the military that reads this. If you are let me know how you get around everyday work in order to train and race, it's a bit crazy right now. Also if your in the military and have been to Iraq, how do you keep in shape over there, I'll be leaving after this season myself and I'm looking for ideas.

I'm guessing you're in the Navy or the Marines so what do you do?

I spent 5 years on active duty, 82nd ABN. Been in the Gaurd for 5 now too, 143 INF LRS.

We just dodged the Iraq bullet, but Kosovo on the other hand....

you're basically stuck running. Some of my flyboy buddies in the Stan took their mountain bikes over and said it was AWESOME, but I've got kids, and dodging land mines aint cool with my wife.

I'm with 2nd Radio Battalion at Camp Lejeune. I'm a linguist, french to be specific.

Originally posted by amorevelo
I'm with 2nd Radio Battalion at Camp Lejeune. I'm a linguist, french to be specific.

I am Signal Corps now. I was Infantry for the first 6 years, then since I do information security as a civilian, I ended up moving over in the military as well. Lets me justify maintaining a higher clearance, and play with better toys.

I have spent a lot of time up there at LeJune. Some of my best friends were over in Recon, and a couple of instructors in the Fleet Anti-Terror Units.

I was in the Navy when Desert Storm was around in '90 - '91 and I was actually out there so for about 6 weeks no training for me but I took my MTB every where with me and at every port I'd look for where to train. I also served in the National Guard as an infantry man and I actually got out prior to my unit being sent to Iraq this time around. But those guys are more worried about staying alive than actually working out. But if your that serious about the training just think boot camp. Keep it simple and use your equipment for weight training. God speed.

Originally posted by firegooroo
I was in the Navy when Desert Storm was around in '90 - '91 and I was actually out there so for about 6 weeks no training for me but I took my MTB every where with me and at every port I'd look for where to train. I also served in the National Guard as an infantry man and I actually got out prior to my unit being sent to Iraq this time around. But those guys are more worried about staying alive than actually working out. But if your that serious about the training just think boot camp. Keep it simple and use your equipment for weight training. God speed.

Hey thanx for the advice, I was told long time ago, remember KISS, keep it simple stupid. It's only 7 months right? what did you do in the navy? Right now I'm with II Mef, 2nd Radio Battalion, USMC. I'm a linguist, french speaking, with a bit of arabic.

I was in comms. back in them days they called us RMs or radiomen. Now they call them IT guys or information technologist. As far as the 7 months I don't know about that my guys are coming back from a 14 month deployment from the front line. They were told only 12 months. They took the whole batt. and separated everyone. Before I forget I speak fluent spanish, some french use to be fluent and portoguese.

Hi all,
I am new to the forum.

US Army 1/8 Cav, 1st Cav Division 1984-1986
US Army Reserve 171st Support Group 1986-1990
US Air Force Reserve 916th Air Refueling Wing 2001-present

I am sitting at a computer right now in the "Sand Box" although I am not in Iraq. I managed to get my hands on a Huffy Mtn Bike 'NightStalker' I ride a fairly decent Trek back home and normally would not be caught dead on a bike of this low quality. But at this place and at this time in my life I am grateful to have it! Besides being a great form of transportation from my tent to work it is great to be able to get out and ride around the base for fun. Depending on my schedule I ride at least 3 or 4 miles a day to more than 15 miles on others. The quality of the bike is low but interestingly it has held up well in some pretty bad conditions here.
I have noticed the locals riding bikes of unknown origin, it is interesting to watch them!

Let me quote G. Gordon Liddy and thank everyone (on this thread) for your service to our country!