Anyone else out along Beach Rd this afternoon ??

MikeyOz

Aug 12, 2003
Went for a burn down to Frankston around lunch time today, absoluetely whistled down to Frankston then turned around for the grind home, that has got to have been one of the strongest winds that I have ridden against for a long time today... anybody else have good fun riding into it ??

MikeyOz said:
Went for a burn down to Frankston around lunch time today, absoluetely whistled down to Frankston then turned around for the grind home, that has got to have been one of the strongest winds that I have ridden against for a long time today... anybody else have good fun riding into it ??

good fun.. riding INTO it... Im sorry, you're breaking up... we cant hear you properly, it sounded like you said 'good fun'???

On 2005-06-14, MikeyOz (aka Bruce)
was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>
> Went for a burn down to Frankston around lunch time today, absoluetely
> whistled down to Frankston then turned around for the grind home, that
> has got to have been one of the strongest winds that I have ridden
> against for a long time today... anybody else have good fun riding into
> it ??

C'mon, walking was hard enough.

40-50km/h gusts, continously (isn't that an oxymoron?) for at least 6
hours, according to my weather logs.

Not quite like the time I had to run from the sleeping quarters to the
telescope to stow it, then discovered the ******* had already
wind-stowed itself. That was a "I can't stay upright" situation,
whereas this was merely a "Dammit jacket, get out of my face"
situation. Damn long hair; I should cut it all off.

--
TimC
Obviously, "Mother Nature" disagrees with your assessment that money
equates with success. I wonder who will win the argument? -- someone on /.

TimC said:
On 2005-06-14, MikeyOz (aka Bruce)
was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>
> Went for a burn down to Frankston around lunch time today, absoluetely
> whistled down to Frankston then turned around for the grind home, that
> has got to have been one of the strongest winds that I have ridden
> against for a long time today... anybody else have good fun riding into
> it ??

C'mon, walking was hard enough.

40-50km/h gusts, continously (isn't that an oxymoron?) for at least 6
hours, according to my weather logs.

/.

*wooooooohhhhhhhhhssssssssssssoooooo-sound of gale-wooooooohhhhhhhhhsssshhhhhhhhhhhh* oh is that the wind I hear or the tinitis out of tune?
yep it seemed a mutha!....we hit into Port Melb from the Clock Tower at 6pm arrgh and turned at the London was still a headwind going back to at least Golden Mile....but BUT *LOUDER* BUT !, 'twas the maiden ride on the NEW custom frame...woohoo, now this is one sweet ride! its Molteni Orange, bloody big too , and oh so very comfortable to fit my 189cm/89kg bod. and she just went woooooooooohhhhhhhsssssshhhhhhhhhhh!, so effortlessly so much fun..so much better than ... !

details will follow in some other post but meantime, I'm off to bed to snuggle....* aside in a whisper* "what a nice headset you have my new sweety, and such a finely tapered fork" !!..."shhhhhhh..some one's listening!"
(heaven is a new ride...even better when it fits you!!-bliss-serenity-vibe-)

Timbo, we gotta do the meet for a BR on BchR..... call it an astronomical field trip on any Monday Tues from 5-30pm or a donut rumble Sat Sun from 7-30am-other times to suit the program for Monster's training and DISC splinter sessions....

rooman said:
... 'twas the maiden ride on the NEW custom frame...woohoo, now this is one sweet ride! its Molteni Orange, bloody big too , and oh so very comfortable to fit my 189cm/89kg bod. and she just went woooooooooohhhhhhhsssssshhhhhhhhhhh!, so effortlessly so much fun..so much better than ... !

ahem... PICTURES!!! :D

PS what's 'Molteni' orange?

pase said:
molteni were a sausage manufacturer

the bike is sausage orange
google it!

if not, then MO was Eddy Merckx's Sponsor Molteni Arcore's colour with the cool retro paint job Molteni Orange, looks just like the bike Eddy himself used to ride!

see: http://www.vintagevelos.com/jer-molteni_arcore1.html

as for Pictcha's, they be coming....(but not the between the sheets edition).....here's another link to the colour....

see: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT&PRODUCT.ID=1518

and : ahhhhh: http://www.erapro.com/item137985.ctlg

roo:D

yeah, the wind was crappy, and it won't be much better today.

What gets me is why so many people do a "u-eey" at the Black Rock roundabout when (arguably) the best part of Beach Road is between Black Rock and Mordy.

531Aussie said:

What gets me is why so many people do a "u-eey" at the Black Rock roundabout when (arguably) the best part of Beach Road is between Black Rock and Mordy.
they wuss it!

the Clock tower to Mordy Beach Road section and back is great to use as a TT course training routine, its cool, with fast runs, minimal lights, good grades and a Java joint ( many) at each end , oh and bike shops each too, at each end for bits (kevs-mordy, kennedy & watts (plus leknicks of course) at the clock twr....as well as the water views, great breezes from different quarters, and only a very short bike lane marked (Bayside-Kingston Boundary 300M each side of Charmen Rd)... and you can stop off at two pubs and two bottl'Os in between...what more is there?:D

Exactly! There's only a few pedestrian crossings between Mordy and Black Rock: ~8km (I think) of no intersections!! And doing a "u-eey" at the Black Rock roundabout is no picnic in peak hour:)

Going inbound, once you pass South Road, it starts to get a bit shitty with all the lights.

531Aussie said:

Agreed, it is almost as if, the black rock tower is a turn around point for people coming from the melbourne direction and also for people starting from the other side of Mordy... but absoluetely the best section is Black rock to Mordy...

from the inlet to Frankston is good as well, about 8kms, only a couple of lights and they road is all smooth now on the section down to frankston.

MikeyOz said:
from the inlet to Frankston is good as well, about 8kms, only a couple of lights and they road is all smooth now on the section down to frankston.

that patch is a bit of a psychological hurdle for me. as i usually start in north boring (balwyn) im already up in the kms which is fine but it ALWAYS* is blerdy windy for me in that patch too. I like the patch between tower and mordy as those few liddle bumps sort out the usually wobbly riders.
funny flying past tri-hards on the fixie too :D

lovin that orange BTW (bein dutch heritage'n'all)

*ALWAYS on beach rd is a worthwhile generalisation as about 99.5% of the time you can get a headwind going south thinkin, oh well, it'll be a tailwind on the way back. yeah right!$@#@!!!

F"no wind in dem dar hills"Dutch

flyingdutch said:
that patch is a bit of a psychological hurdle for me. as i usually start in north boring (balwyn) im already up in the kms which is fine but it ALWAYS* is blerdy windy for me in that patch too. I like the patch between tower and mordy as those few liddle bumps sort out the usually wobbly riders.
funny flying past tri-hards on the fixie too :D

lovin that orange BTW (bein dutch heritage'n'all)

*ALWAYS on beach rd is a worthwhile generalisation as about 99.5% of the time you can get a headwind going south thinkin, oh well, it'll be a tailwind on the way back. yeah right!$@#@!!!

F"no wind in dem dar hills"Dutch
the boring bit is from Frankston up to Patterson River, especially into the Sat/Sun morn. mistral headwind, (so a bunch with rolling turns is a pleasant way to do it, at least you can chat and break the monotonous vista of bay obscurring fox/snake infested tea tree scrub! ).

The new surface is a huge improvement down there both ways, especially heading south, the old road edge was a nasty surpise to many who wanted to keep far left then hit those stupid traffic barriers forcing everyone back onto the near left traffic lane, over the bloody tar ridge (if you stayed upright).

And does anyone know why theBP ride on PMTuesdays turns anywhere from Mentone pub to Mordy?, its like they all have trigger fingers, don't trust anyone or just thinks it's smart to take a short cut and rip back to BP?? , gave up with that lot for that.( and the freewheeling arbitrary turning is bloody dangerous...jeepers!!!

Now its just a cruisy PMTuesday recovery 4Me to Port Melbourne & back going in against the traffic and out with the cocktail set on the return....

roo:D

"Orange is good" :anon

MikeyOz said:
Agreed, it is almost as if the black rock tower is a turn around point for people coming from the melbourne direction.......
Yeah, I know...but then I think that these guys must go to all the trouble to come from somewhere north to get to Beach Road, yet then only do a small section of it, therefore missing out on the best bit......,,ah well:)

flyingdutch said:
that patch is a bit of a psychological hurdle for me. as i usually start in north boring (balwyn) im already up in the kms
Which way do you go? It's not a great ride from Balwyn to the beach. I did a lot of commuting from La Trobe Uni to the beach, and I never found a good way.

rooman said:
does anyone know why theBP ride on PMTuesdays turns anywhere from Mentone pub to Mordy?, its like they all have trigger fingers, don't trust anyone or just thinks it's smart to take a short cut and rip back to BP?? , gave up with that lot for that.( and the freewheeling arbitrary turning is bloody dangerous...jeepers!!!
HEE HEE HEE:D I know!!! (I assume you're talking about the Tuesday night ride?) I have no idea why they don't go all the way down to Mordy...it's stoooopid!!!:p

I've stopped doing it because it's just become too dangerous.

531Aussie said:
yeah, the wind was crappy, and it won't be much better today..
Well, if I dare quote myself, I was right!! It was **** today coming back with that hea wind, and I had a couple of wheel-suckers to boot. I can't blame them; I thought it was gunna **** down, so I was really grinding all the way up to North Road.

531Aussie said:
HEE HEE HEE:D I know!!! (I assume you're talking about the Tuesday night ride?) I have no idea why they don't go all the way down to Mordy...it's stoooopid!!!:p

I've stopped doing it because it's just become too dangerous.
Yep! the Tuesday NIGHT be the ride.....last time I did it, we were heading south from the dip in a hard run up the hill towards MentonePub from the LSClub and there were some witches hats on the left lane (no signs FFS) from a team of night workies hitting a gas main and no-one called it, hats everywhere, bikes swerving into the next lane and cussing and WTF's, then over the hill past the pub , next thing it's Uturns across traffic and utter confusion...cats can be herded better than that!!

*grumble gripe grimace* not wishing any more bingles, but did they learn this on one of the North Rd morning rides? Seems to be in the headlines a bit for mass bumps and riders down with a few too many ambo's.....anyone would think they were racing for the farm!...crikey its a serious thing life, and its meant to be lived not laughed at....*off soapbox* and what message do turkey stunts send about Bunch Rides and riders in general......grrrrrrr....
I'm all for strict protocols, a bunch leader mentor whose word is law and stuff ups/newbies and penance suffers ride off the back until the get they OK from "the boss"- every BR needs one, and every rider needs a mentor to guide and learn from...but then egos are somewhat common out there arn't they and a few hot heads with too much testosterone either present or a distant memory want to be boy racers.........bring back the lash I say....farrrrkkkkkk fling that "cat" at the scurvey swine :D

531Aussie said:
Which way do you go? It's not a great ride from Balwyn to the beach. I did a lot of commuting from La Trobe Uni to the beach, and I never found a good way.

'usually' head into town and start at Bay St Port Melb or head down Williamstown rd and thru to London. Have only done it a few times this year as BR's heading the other direction, Glenvale crits or other nonsense has taken me fancy (or recently just recooperatin from shoulder/collarbone. see relevant threads my moi...)

Always give the 'look of shame' to those in their subaru's DRIVING!$@$#
(backwards 'U-R-A-BUS :D:D:D never tire of that one :rolleyes: )
down to beach rd with bike in back/on rack.
Shame on them. 'lowlanders', the lot of 'em!!!

rooman said:
NIGHT I'm all for strict protocols, a bunch leader mentor whose word is law and stuff ups/newbies and penance suffers ride off the back until the get they OK from "the boss"- every BR needs one, and every rider needs a mentor to guide and learn from...but then egos are somewhat common out there arn't they......:D
I agree.

From my experience, the Tuesday night ride is the worst/most dangerous, and it's getting so big that it needs some "tutoring" or some leadership. On a good night there'll be about 80 out there. I was geeky enough to email Richmond Cyclery about someone taking charge (they seem to have the highest representation), but nothing happened.

I reckon the bunch should be split in 2 at Mordy.......or maybe I should just start racing again and I wouldn't give a **** about these group rides:)