Anyone Else Require a Long Warmup Period?

I came here tonight to post about my "problem" and I think this is it. I went out yesterday to concour a hill. It's about 3 miles from my house. My legs are giving out before my lungs. At the end of that road, I stopped, drank some more water and had a gel. On the way back I felt wonderful.

Tonight I brought the SO to my "hill". Needless to say he kicked my butt. But I had the same issues (and didn't drink the gel halfway).

Because we went out together tonight I pushed a little harder on the way to the hill. My heart rate actually reached 171 at one point! *Not* on the hill, I don't think I got above mid-160's on that. Granted, the route out may have a slight incline but I was pretty blown away by the numbers.

The way back, my legs felt fine and HR was back around 150 where it should be for moderate sustained activity.

Is this a lactate issue and with training, can it be overcome? Weather permitting we're going on our first group ride Wed and don't want to be left completly in the dust LOL

Thanks!

Diane

I used to need about 17 miles before I was good to go... but now it's more like 6. Not sure what I'm doing differently....

I've noticed the same thing. Takes me about 10 miles to feel warmed up. Most of my rides are 25 to 50 miles so I take it easy for the first ten. I don't race only ride for fun. :)

Originally posted by Ted B
It seems that in comparison to my cycling partners, I require more time to get fully warmed up. While everyone seems to be good to go after maybe 5-10 minutes into a training ride, it takes me more like 10 miles before I start feeling really good. After that, I can pour it on like a freight train and keep on going, but until then I feel like I am suffering a bit.

Anyone else feel this way??

I'm in my early 40's and take about 20 minutes to warm up, rain, hail or shine. A former AIS (Australian Institute of Sport) rider gave me a tip - if you have the time spend 15-20 minutes light spinning indoors on a trainer (if you have one, obviously) before heading out. Works for me, especially in winter as I live in a hollow and have long slow climbs first up whichever way I head out - I do the 15-20 on my wife's stationary recumbent before I head out to the shed.

im 44, and would say i need 30 min to feel REALLY good.

i start out turning a low gear and high RPM very easy.
no determined effort to speed up, let it occur naturally.
approx 20 mins later, legs tired and labored breathing.
slow back down and spin fast and easy for about 10 min.
stop, get off and stretch a little, and hydrate well.

THEN, i feel like i can go all day

I'm 40, and it looks like it takes me about 10-15 minutes to start to get in the groove. After about 30 minutes I'm feeling better.

I'm a noobie racer, got "1" under my belt. It was a 10 mile race, and I rode around warming up for over 8 miles before the thing even started. Never felt better, was good from the get go.

I was worried I'd be all wore out before the thing even got under way.

I hit my groove after about 15, 20 minutes, but it seems like I hit a different and better groove after 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Many times I feel a noticeable increase in power and effortlessness at that longer duration of riding, and it seems to last.

I'm 33 and it takes me about 10 minutes to warm up. But i ride 5 days a week so maybe that has something to do with it.