Anyone else ride TT's here?

Arthur Clune

Guest
Does anyone?

I'm curious as to what you think about during the TT. How do
you maintain focus and effort?

I nearly always have a couple of intervals of a minute or so
where my mind wanders and the effort drops off. Not ideal.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a
philosophy out of a personality defect"

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]>typed

> Does anyone?

> I'm curious as to what you think about during the TT. How
> do you maintain focus and effort?

> I nearly always have a couple of intervals of a minute
> or so where my mind wanders and the effort drops off.
> Not ideal.

I can't remember ever thinking during TTs...

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]>typed
>
> > Does anyone?
>
> > I'm curious as to what you think about during the TT.
> > How do you maintain focus and effort?
>
> > I nearly always have a couple of intervals of a minute
> > or so where my mind wanders and the effort drops off.
> > Not ideal.
>
> I can't remember ever thinking during TTs...

I thought TTs were for people who didn't think ;-)

John B Ex tt'er

Arthur Clune wrote:

> Does anyone?
>
> I'm curious as to what you think about during the TT. How
> do you maintain focus and effort?
>
> I nearly always have a couple of intervals of a minute
> or so where my mind wanders and the effort drops off.
> Not ideal.

When I was hooked TTs I found my mind wandering off and
looking at the early morning countryside and thinking of
touring rides. Then suddenly I'd realise I was supposed to
be in a race. Yes it did affect speed. After some sessions
of track racing I found that the increase in speed and the
requirement for constant concentration transferred to road
time trials and performances 'improved'.

Thankfully I broke the addiction and am now cured so its no
more course chasing and lorry slipstreaming for me. Its now
back to less lethal aspects of cycling.

John B

In article <poouo1-
[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> > Does anyone?
> >
> > I'm curious as to what you think about during the TT.
> > How do you maintain focus and effort?

Yes, I ride TT's most weeks, and yes I also have a
concentration problem. The only thing that works for me is
to look at my HRM as often as possible. If it drops below
what I set as my lower limit (usually around 163bpm on a 40k
TT) then I 'wake up' and push on.

It's always been a problem for me, but I didn't realise it
was a common issue!

Thanks!

PS: It's 18:36, pissing down, and I'm off out now to ride
my clubs first'evening 10' of the year (starts at
17:45)...I must be mad :)

--
Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not
volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during

JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:

: Thankfully I broke the addiction and am now cured so its
: no more course chasing and lorry slipstreaming for me. Its
: now back to less lethal aspects of cycling.

I don't ride courses like that so it's not an issue. I
totally agree with you about the lorry thing.

I like TT's with corners, hills and no traffic.

Arthur

--

MSA <[email protected]> wrote:

: It's always been a problem for me, but I didn't realise it
: was a common issue!

As others have said, the key to TT'ing seems to be not to
think. I find this hard :)

: PS: It's 18:36, pissing down, and I'm off out now to ride
: my clubs first'evening 10' of the year (starts at
: 17:45)...I must be mad :)

I gave our Spoco a miss since I didn't want to ride out to
the event, hang around, ride event, hang around for results
and then ride back when knackered and wet. I did do a good
training session though so it wasn't all bad.

Arthur

--

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Does anyone?
>
> I'm curious as to what you think about during the TT. How
> do you maintain focus and effort?

I really don't like TT's, only ride a few club 10's now more
as a social than anything else . The only thing that works
for me is to set the computer to display just the average
and absolutely refuse to let the average go below 32kph (so
I don't get laughed at for doing less than evens) ;-0

On 1 Jun 2004 15:31:28 GMT, Arthur Clune wrote:

> Does anyone?
>
> I'm curious as to what you think about during the TT. How
> do you maintain focus and effort?
>
> I nearly always have a couple of intervals of a minute
> or so where my mind wanders and the effort drops off.
> Not ideal.
>
> Arthur

I've only ridden TTs in duathlons but I do run a lot of
races and would say that loss of concentration can be a
problem there too. For most runners races are more like TTs
because you're not normally competing 1-on-1 with other
people. The main target is a better personal time.

I think the solution is to concentrate on the critical
performance indicator. In a bike TT this is probably average
speed and, compared to the vast majority of runners (who
have to rely on mile or km markers and split times), you do
have the advantage of a continuous instantaneous readout.
Working to a target heart-rate is probably even better
although, in the absence of a monitor, concentration on
perceived effort may also be useful. To achieve your best
(or even a lower target) you need to concentrate hard on
what you're doing - all of the time.

The fact is, if your mind wanders then you're obviously not
sufficiently motivated to perform as well as you can.
Perhaps you should ask yourself why you bother doing TTs?

--
Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "I've had a perfectly
wonderful evening. But this wasn't

Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:

: The fact is, if your mind wanders then you're obviously
: not sufficiently motivated to perform as well as you can.
: Perhaps you should ask yourself why you bother doing TTs?

To get fit for more interesting things of course :)

Average speed is no good as an indicator on the courses I
ride (usually hilly) so it has to be heart rate. Do people
try and think in terms of "keep going for the next X mins"
and then do it again, or what?

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a
philosophy out of a personality defect"
- Paulina Borsook

in message <[email protected]>, Michael
MacClancy ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Working to a target heart-rate is probably even better
> although, in the absence of a monitor, concentration on
> perceived effort may also be useful. To achieve your best
> (or even a lower target) you need to concentrate hard on
> what you're doing - all of the time.

All this talk about heart rate... I know what limits my
performance, and always has even when I've been really
fit, is my ability to clear lactic acid out of my leg
muscles. Cramp has always been the limiter for me. Am I
unusual in this?

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; this is not a
.sig

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

: All this talk about heart rate... I know what limits my
: performance, and always has even when I've been really
: fit, is my ability to clear lactic acid out of my leg
: muscles. Cramp has always been the limiter for me. Am I
: unusual in this?

No. Everyone is the same. The trick is to ride at a heart
rate that means your legs only fill with lactic for the last
mile or so.

--

Arthur Clune wrote:

> Does anyone?
>
> I'm curious as to what you think about during the TT. How
> do you maintain focus and effort?
>
> I nearly always have a couple of intervals of a minute
> or so where my mind wanders and the effort drops off.
> Not ideal.

I think about the pain, and how it will stop at the finish.
I can't really concentrate on anything else.

At the start its al nerves........3-2-1- your off...the legs
hurt, the lungs on fire and BANG your on the ride..Im always
lookin for the guy in front,,the guy 2 mins, 3 mins in
front.. judging the distance waitin for the turn..countin
the seconds as you get to the place your minute man was and
then your passed by the guy who doesnt think but rides the
ride..lololol

D@vo...

the bigger the ring the more it hurts....

The TT ..the race of truth ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Arthur Clune wrote:
>
> > Does anyone?
> >
> > I'm curious as to what you think about during the TT.
> > How do you
maintain