Anyone ever FedEx a bike?

lisan

Apr 19, 2004
It looks like American (I have to fly AA) charges $80 (each way) to carry my bike...so, I thought I would try and FedEx it to my destination. The rate (according to FedEx's site) is about $45 each way.

Anyone every do this?

How did you package it up? I was thinking of putting it in a bike bag (buying one - see my other post asking for recommendations for a bike bag); then taking it down to FedEx and seeing if they would ship it, as is. Or would they need me to find a big box to put it in.

Recommendations...please?

Lisa

Originally posted by lisan
It looks like American (I have to fly AA) charges $80 (each way) to carry my bike...so, I thought I would try and FedEx it to my destination. The rate (according to FedEx's site) is about $45 each way.

Anyone every do this?

How did you package it up? I was thinking of putting it in a bike bag (buying one - see my other post asking for recommendations for a bike bag); then taking it down to FedEx and seeing if they would ship it, as is. Or would they need me to find a big box to put it in.

Lisa

If your starting and ending points are near Amtrak stations, they have a very convenient and reasonably priced option.
1. Go to station with bicycle, money, packing tape, pedal wrench, and hex tool for turning bar and stem.
2. Find the location where they have you pack bicycle.
3. Buy the huge bicycle box for $10.
4. Pack bicycle with pedals removed, stem turned, and bars turned ( as required to fit box)
5. Fill in paperwork, label, buy insurance, pay for the service... around $65 total... one way.
6. Get schedule of expected arrival... maybe it will be longer than a train ride, but it may take connections, etc.
7. Pick up your bicycle at the termination Amtrak station.
8. Install pedals, twirl stem and bars, tighten them down and ride.
Depending on schedules and your departure and arrival locations this may work,,, and can be very convenient,,, or not.
I shipped my Miyata touring bicycle this way and it was quite easy and reasonably priced compared to the alternatives I found.
This method may not be cheaper than the airline, but it does work.
Packing, shipping via a carrier like FedEx, demands breaking the bicycle down much further, which takes time in dis-assembly and reassembly. Make sure to check the size limitations and pricing before even beginning to do it.

Anyone every do this?

Lisa

American only actually charges sometimes. I have shipped a bicycle numerous times and they only charged a handful of times.
I use a hard plastic case now ($250). I used to go to the local bike shop and get an empty box and insert, tapes it up, then ship. Thew new bikes come with a plastic piece that will prevent the wheels from poking thru. I went thru the bike bag thing but the a frame got damaged so I put it in the corner. Shippers and airlines are not gentile. "Fragile" or "handle with care" reads as "throw me" then stomp!

Originally posted by bike48rider
American only actually charges sometimes. I have shipped a bicycle numerous times and they only charged a handful of times.
I use a hard plastic case now ($250). I used to go to the local bike shop and get an empty box and insert, tapes it up, then ship. Thew new bikes come with a plastic piece that will prevent the wheels from poking thru. I went thru the bike bag thing but the a frame got damaged so I put it in the corner. Shippers and airlines are not gentile. "Fragile" or "handle with care" reads as "throw me" then stomp!

Thanks! I've had another friend tell me that they said they (American) would charge her, then they didn't. Gee...no wonder we were on the verge of bankruptcy :rolleyes: But...if they don't charge me, then no complaints, of course!

Anyhow...where did you find a hard case for $250?

Thanks for you response!
Lisa

Originally posted by daveornee
If your starting and ending points are near Amtrak stations, they have a very convenient and reasonably priced option.
1. Go to station with bicycle, money, packing tape, pedal wrench, and hex tool for turning bar and stem.
2. Find the location where they have you pack bicycle.
3. Buy the huge bicycle box for $10.
4. Pack bicycle with pedals removed, stem turned, and bars turned ( as required to fit box)
5. Fill in paperwork, label, buy insurance, pay for the service... around $65 total... one way.
6. Get schedule of expected arrival... maybe it will be longer than a train ride, but it may take connections, etc.
7. Pick up your bicycle at the termination Amtrak station.
8. Install pedals, twirl stem and bars, tighten them down and ride.
Depending on schedules and your departure and arrival locations this may work,,, and can be very convenient,,, or not.
I shipped my Miyata touring bicycle this way and it was quite easy and reasonably priced compared to the alternatives I found.
This method may not be cheaper than the airline, but it does work.
Packing, shipping via a carrier like FedEx, demands breaking the bicycle down much further, which takes time in dis-assembly and reassembly. Make sure to check the size limitations and pricing before even beginning to do it.

Thanks for your response. I don't think this will work for us. The Amtrak stations are downtown (Dallas or Ft. Worth) and I live right in the middle (near DFW airport).

But, I will keep that in mind for the future, if we don't have another alternative!

Lisa

Thanks! I've had another friend tell me that they said they (American) would charge her, then they didn't. Gee...no wonder we were on the verge of bankruptcy :rolleyes: But...if they don't charge me, then no complaints, of course!

Anyhow...where did you find a hard case for $250?

Thanks for you response!
Lisa
I purchased a Trico Iron Case a few years ago for about $250. They are $279 now at Branfordbike.com

Originally posted by bike48rider
I purchased a Trico Iron Case a few years ago for about $250. They are $279 now at Branfordbike.com

Thanks!!!
Lisa