Anyone ever made a complaint to Brisbane City Council r.e. bus near miss?

Jimbo Jones

Guest
Hi all,

I had a near miss with a bus (427 on Swann / Hawken Rd) this morning. I was
turning right on a roundabout, with hand out indicating. Bus punches
straight through. Driver thought it was more appropriate to give me a thank
you wave than to bother stopping. A few seconds earlier I might have been in
all sorts of pain.

I caught up with the bus, but when I tapped on the window to discuss (nee:
argue) what he had done, the driver ignored me. I guess that's probably
their policy to avoid road rage etc.

Anyway, has anybody ever complained to the council? Who did you write to?
Any success? It's the second time I've had a near miss around with a bus st
lucia in the alst couple of months and i'm bloody sick of it.

- Jimbo

Tamyka did this a while ago.

Just call the council main line and tell the operator what your concern is and they'll transfer you to the relevant area. The number is 3403 8888.

From memory, Tam's complaint was dealt with really well.

PLEASE call them.

Jimbo Jones wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I had a near miss with a bus (427 on Swann / Hawken Rd) this morning. I was
> turning right on a roundabout, with hand out indicating. Bus punches
> straight through. Driver thought it was more appropriate to give me a thank
> you wave than to bother stopping. A few seconds earlier I might have been in
> all sorts of pain.
>
> I caught up with the bus, but when I tapped on the window to discuss (nee:
> argue) what he had done, the driver ignored me. I guess that's probably
> their policy to avoid road rage etc.
>
> Anyway, has anybody ever complained to the council? Who did you write to?
> Any success? It's the second time I've had a near miss around with a bus st
> lucia in the alst couple of months and i'm bloody sick of it.
>
> - Jimbo

Just call the transinfo line and tell them you want to make a complaint.
The BCC is taking such calls very seriously now. I made a complaint,
and the guy who took it was actually a cyclist. He took all the
details, and asked whether they should contact me by phone or in
writing. A week later I received a phone call to let me know that the
driver had received counselling and retraining on safe driving around
cyclists. I was really happy with this outcome and BCC transport is
trying hard to make big changes. 10 years ago the majority of bus
drivers were grumpy old men, prone to slamming doors on high school
students and other ridiculous behaviours, but now they're getting better
and better.

In future, if you don't know who to call, there is a 24 hr BCC service
line in the phone book. They tell you who to call about pretty much
anything. They rock.

Tam

Thanks Tam,

Just called TransInfo - they are on the case. Will be interesting to see
what happens. With any luck the **** smoker will get a good ear bashing and
a kick up the pants.

Have a good weekend

Jimbo

PS anyone see the BQ ride to the gold coast flyers? Sounds like fun but I
think ~$40 + $30 for transport back is a bit rich. I think donating $70 to
the charity might be a better idea.

> Just call the transinfo line and tell them you want to make a complaint.
> The BCC is taking such calls very seriously now. I made a complaint,
> and the guy who took it was actually a cyclist. He took all the
> details, and asked whether they should contact me by phone or in
> writing. A week later I received a phone call to let me know that the
> driver had received counselling and retraining on safe driving around
> cyclists. I was really happy with this outcome and BCC transport is
> trying hard to make big changes. 10 years ago the majority of bus
> drivers were grumpy old men, prone to slamming doors on high school
> students and other ridiculous behaviours, but now they're getting better
> and better.
>
> In future, if you don't know who to call, there is a 24 hr BCC service
> line in the phone book. They tell you who to call about pretty much
> anything. They rock.
>
> Tam

Yeah - got my flyer in the mail.

I was very pumped about the Brisbane-Gold Coast ride, but the pricing
is a little bit rich... Although the novelty of riding the Busway
almost makes it worthwhile!!

Abby

Jimbo Jones wrote:

> Thanks Tam,
>
> Just called TransInfo - they are on the case. Will be interesting to see
> what happens. With any luck the **** smoker will get a good ear bashing and
> a kick up the pants.
>
> Have a good weekend
>
> Jimbo
>
> PS anyone see the BQ ride to the gold coast flyers? Sounds like fun but I
> think ~$40 + $30 for transport back is a bit rich. I think donating $70 to
> the charity might be a better idea.

It's not even 100km. How far is it? Couldn't be much more than 80km to
Sanctuary Cove, if that. Let's just have a good feed and ride back that
afternoon.

Tam

I thought it was all the way to Southport?? The flyer said that it was
a 15km ride *back* from the Southport finish to Helensvale train
station...

Maybe we could do like our southern brethren, and do an "alternative
brissie to the coast ride"??

Abby

"Absent Husband" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I thought it was all the way to Southport?? The flyer said that it was
> a 15km ride *back* from the Southport finish to Helensvale train
> station...
>
> Maybe we could do like our southern brethren, and do an "alternative
> brissie to the coast ride"??
>
> Abby

That's right you can always ride to Helensvale and catch a trian
back. So the authorities are going to let us ride on the busway!
Wish they can make that permanent. The so-called bikeway next to
the Freeway is ****.

Anthony

A ride to the coast would almost have to be via Canungra. The road is narrow, but I've ridden it before and it's a beautiful ride.

LotteBum