Anyone ever run over a pedestrian!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by greentyres, Nov 10, 2004.

1. BomoSammo

BomoSammo New Member

Sure have . . . I was trundling along on the cycle path/pavement along the Albert Embankment in London heading towards Horseferry Bridge (i think that's the bridge's name).

Unfortunately the suit walking in the same direction in front of me suddenly decided to veer left and take in the view over the river at precisely the same time that I had decided to pass him between on the river side rather than the road side.
    Slammed my brakes on but couldn't scrub off all of the speed before I hit him.
    No great harm done, neither of us ended up on the floor or in the river but from that point on I rode on the roads only.

2. John90210

John90210 New Member

What reeeally winds me up most when I'm out is pedestrians, they're worse than cars.

I just keep ploughing onwards towards idiots who decide that they'll walk on the bike side of the pavement.

At least when I cycle on pavements I'm looking out for people, I'm not when I'm on a cycle lane.

If you ride on pavements they moan at you so when they're on cycle lanes it's our turn. :D

That's my little rant over.

3. njeitner

njeitner New Member

I can't say for the rest of the world...

but in the UK there is one "good" thing. there seems too be be an undeclared declaration of war!. As a cyclist you are always the the lowest on in the food chain. What ever happens the cyclist is always at fault. There's a certain honesty in this approach. The cyclist is always the last to be considered. The trick is to take this on board, Never assume anything! You will always be at fault. Coupled with the fact that there is no apparent "legal" responsibility for pedestrians (or motorists) to take responsibility for their actions...

If you can deal with this then... anything is possible. It might not make me quicker but is has developed my control skills ttp://www.cyclingforums.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

4. davebee

davebee New Member

It does my head in in the mornings in manchester when people just drift across the road while talking on their phones or listening to music facing in the same direction as traffic but not crossing square. i just yell at them tog et the f**k out of the road. also what i hate is pedestrains trying to sneak over at the lights when it isnt their turn and eyeballing you for going through a green.

i took a student girl out a couple of years ago when she crossed infront of a bus, thankfully i landed on her and the bike was fine. if you damage the bike and it is their fault, are you entitled to ask them to cover the repair costs? you can with cars as they are insured? (it so happens that I am going to insure the bikes against accidents etc, just wodnered what the legal standpoint was?)

5. ianhargreaves

ianhargreaves New Member

Legal standpoint - If anyone causes damage to ANY of your personal possessions and it's their fault, they gotta cough up. How simple is that? With cars they have insurance and have been formally tought (well in most cases anyway) to use the roads under the highway code. Pedestrian have never had formal training so that's why they're such arses! Remember what kind of pedestrian you were before you took up cycling? The often use ears and not eyes before stepping into the 1st few feet of the road forgetting that few feet is the part cyclists use. Yeah ok, I know for sure I was a dumb one (pedestrian). I cycle in Manchester centre all the time now and I just yell loud... super loud "MOVE!" then let out a super obsene word to them maybe even a little hand gesture. Is that right? I don't think so but it feels great.
    If anyone gets fly then just remind them what that footballer dude taught them as a kid about the green cross code. OMG that advert was great, was it Dalgish? Keegan? Was that just in my head?

6. webbhost

webbhost New Member

had 1 close call.

Going upto a crossroad with traffic lights, lights went to amber (going to green) so i look behind me as i stand up and pound the pedals for speed. (this is road bike) - when i look in front of me again i drift into the curb at about 20 mph and go flyin down the path.

Stop about 30cm short of abou a 15 yr old lad and 2 14 yr old gals.

close call, they were pretty shocked lol. Luckily it hurt me more than it hurt them. I wouldnt like it if i hit someone else.

7. balaclavas

balaclavas New Member

It's the ones that look you straight in the eyes then still step out in front of you that I don't get. I am at Uni and ride to campus every day rain or shine, the main entrance to campus is at the bottom of a hill, there is a pelecan crossing, but some of my fellow students don't bother waiting, they look left, and right, see no cars, just a slow moving cyclist and step out. I can't count the number of times i've had to break and swerve my way through a green light. Fortunately no offs yet. Sometimes people just see bike and think slow, but the hill is steep enough to reach 25mph at least on my racer, and I have been known to overtake the odd car. At least the sound of my frantic breaking and fishtailing usually inspires a bit of haste.

8. SLG

SLG New Member

Happened twice to me, yesterday i was going down quite a big hill in a council estate and a silly little girl on a push scooter thingy (who had obviously seen me coming) decided to cross the road right in front of me. i locked up my back wheel and swerved badly but didn't come off.

The other time was ages ago when a bloody mountain biker was doing about 30mph down a hill (on the wrong side) while i was coming up, he saw me, panicked and went down quite badly. He wasn't badly hurt though, but that should teach him to ride on the correct side of the road!

9. Bianchi_Boy

Bianchi_Boy New Member

Well ive had a few incedents that were not my fault. I was on my trials bike riding to my local spot (On the pavement, as its a very high gear, and not suitable for the road). I was crossing at a designated crossing point, Green man, Beeping, the whole 9 yards, and just as I got into the road, some dick head in a VW Lupo was flying at me at god knows what speed, luckily I managed to use my trials tricks and swing my back end around 180 degrees out of the line of fire before he flattened me. Was a bit shook up by it, so never got his liscense plate or anything. :mad: GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Another time was just TODAY! beleive it or not. My grandad used to ride road and track races, so ive always had a big interest in road bikes and fixed wheels. My brother has just recently bought a 2007 Binachi Pista fixed wheel. Its a beast, sooo sweet. My grandad was chuffed to see it and began telling me of the storys about him falling off and smashing his teeth out etc etc... But he then mentioned he had an old bike hanging up in the garage. I was extactic to hear this and investigated. It is a very very old Carlton racer, very old, very rusty, but i decide the venture would be worth it when its fixed. So me and my bro have been working on it the past few days, stripped the gears and shortened the chain so it stays on one single gear. spray painted the rusty old wheels black and generally give it a touch up. We both decided to ride into Manchester city centre (thats where I live) to have a few pints and generally take it for a spin. Coming through into the centre, some absolute nutter decides to stick his front wheel into the road as im flying past, he didnt see me obviously, but completely wrecked his front wheel and my vintage road bike was just as it was before. He looked very upset that id messed up the front end of his 1994 Giant, and he was fishing for an apology, i told him straight, "listen mate, youve f****d up your own wheel, dnt look at me"

The pint was great by the way :D