Anyone everh have stiches (pain in RUQ?)

OoAmericanGirl

Aug 2, 2006
I have been having sharp pains just under my ribs on my right side when I run/bike. There is no indication that these pains are going to present and there seems to be no pattern. I can be pain free for months, but then suddenly it starts and it doesn’t go away for week or two. I've read up on these and there is no cure, it just "happens". I'm not doing anything new in my daily workouts and I've been doing the same workout for about 2 years. It started Sunday and is now adding an extra 2 min to my run time and I have to constantly get off the bike and wait for the pain to go away.

Does anyone have the same problem or have any tips on alleviating the pain
confused.gif
?

OoAmericanGirl said:
I have been having sharp pains just under my ribs on my right side when I run/bike. There is no indication that these pains are going to present and there seems to be no pattern. I can be pain free for months, but then suddenly it starts and it doesn’t go away for week or two. I've read up on these and there is no cure, it just "happens". I'm not doing anything new in my daily workouts and I've been doing the same workout for about 2 years. It started Sunday and is now adding an extra 2 min to my run time and I have to constantly get off the bike and wait for the pain to go away.

Does anyone have the same problem or have any tips on alleviating the pain
confused.gif
?
believe this or not, but when I was younger and trying to do the jogging thing, I would always get a stich... I found that if I stopped for a few seconds to do a "complete breath" kind of exercise, it would go away.

of course you also must make sure that you are well hydrated because a stich is really a diaphragm muscle cramp... you might also try taking a tums (supposedly, the magnesium/calcium helps alleviate cramps...)

If you mean to say a pain in the lungs while running it could be some of the little pockets in your lungs are pinched shut from shallow breathing. There is a breathing exercise I like to do for this. Take 20 deep slow breaths then inahle and hold your breath while beating your chest like Tarzan then exhale if it works you will feel an oxygen rush.

Purse your lips and blow out very hard, creating back pressure in your lungs. Fixes me up in a race.

e0richt said:
believe this or not, but when I was younger and trying to do the jogging thing, I would always get a stich... I found that if I stopped for a few seconds to do a "complete breath" kind of exercise, it would go away.

of course you also must make sure that you are well hydrated because a stich is really a diaphragm muscle cramp... you might also try taking a tums (supposedly, the magnesium/calcium helps alleviate cramps...)
If that is what it is, I also used to get them all the time early in the soccer season when we were doing two a days. We generally pushed through them and tried to ignore the pain as much as possible.

I thought from you post the pain was constant and even after you finished your excersise. I do not recall ever having the stich after a work out.

I checked on ask.com and the first link they had provided this:

Plunkett and Hopkins also tested several strategies designed to relieve the stitch. There were three that proved most effective.

• Wait 2-3 hours before exercising after a large (1 liter or more) drink or meal.

• When you get a stitch, bend forward and tighten your abdominal muscles, while breathing out through pursed lips. The lower position of the diaphragm and increased contraction of the abdominals are designed to reduce tension on the ligaments.

• Try wearing a light wide belt around your waist. This is designed to move your abdominal contents upward and inward — reducing tension on ligaments between gut and diaphragm.​

vadiver said:
If that is what it is, I also used to get them all the time early in the soccer season when we were doing two a days. We generally pushed through them and tried to ignore the pain as much as possible.

I thought from you post the pain was constant and even after you finished your excersise. I do not recall ever having the stich after a work out.

[/indent]
the exercise from the quote is basically, what I meant by the breathing exercise and that did work for me...

vadiver said:

[/indent]
I tried the breathing excercises and they worked, but the stitch did come back. I was actually sore yesterday from the painful stitch I had during my run. I'll try to pay more attention to my breathing to see if I am taking alot of shallow breaths.

OoAmericanGirl said:
I tried the breathing excercises and they worked, but the stitch did come back. I was actually sore yesterday from the painful stitch I had during my run. I'll try to pay more attention to my breathing to see if I am taking alot of shallow breaths.
Mine always came back. Maybe not the same day but I would get multiples in a week. It was not until you mentioned them that it dawned on me that I had not had one for a very long time.

If I knew what I had done to get rid of them I would share with the world.