Anyone familiar with Headsweats Cycling Caps?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Don, Oct 2, 2003.

  1. Don

    Don Guest

    Has anyone tried the Headsweats Cycling cap? I have only seen it in the Nashbar catalog, never in a
    store or on a biker. It is Coolmax with a 40+SPF rating. It has a short bill and is designed to be
    worn UNDER a helmet.

    With the new Giro Supreme I am riding in a more laid back position and find the visor on my helmet
    is useless. I was hoping the Headsweats bill would be lower and would shade my eyes and protect my
    head and forehead from the brutal Sacramento sun. It would also protect parts of my head exposed via
    helmet vents. Thanks for any info. Don

    Tags:

  2. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Has anyone tried the Headsweats Cycling cap? I have only seen it in the Nashbar catalog, never in
    > a store or on a biker. It is Coolmax with a 40+SPF rating. It has a short bill and is designed to
    > be worn UNDER a helmet.

    I've used the Headsweats Skull cap (no bill) to keep my head warm(er) in the winter. I'm not sure
    the Coolmax is a plus though. The water has to go somewhere. It doesn't evaporate under a helmet
    like Coolmax can do when used in a jersey.

    > With the new Giro Supreme I am riding in a more laid back position and find the visor on my helmet
    > is useless. I was hoping the Headsweats bill would be lower and would shade my eyes and protect my
    > head and forehead from the brutal Sacramento sun. It would also protect parts of my head exposed
    > via helmet vents. Thanks for any info. Don

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. PreciousBbird

    PreciousBbird New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2003
    So does it go running down your face into your eyes or just get your hair all wet? Thanks.

  4. In article <[email protected]>, Don says...

    >Has anyone tried the Headsweats Cycling cap? I have only seen it in the Nashbar catalog, never in a
    >store or on a biker. It is Coolmax with a 40+SPF rating. It has a short bill and is designed to be
    >worn UNDER a helmet.
    >
    >With the new Giro Supreme I am riding in a more laid back position and find the visor on my helmet
    >is useless. I was hoping the Headsweats bill would be lower and would shade my eyes and protect my
    >head and forehead from the brutal Sacramento sun. It would also protect parts of my head exposed
    >via helmet vents. Thanks for any info. Don

    I never ride without one. I was looking for something to provide sun protection under the
    helmet, and to help keep the sweat out of my eyes at the same time. I was going to try the skull
    cap thinghy, but then I saw the cap and bought a few of those. The brim is great for keeping the
    sun out too.

    I haven't tried it in cold weather yet, but I don't expect it to be nearly as helpful as a
    helmet cover.

    Steve Christensen

  5. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > Cletus Lee wrote:
    > > I'm not sure the Coolmax is a plus though. The water has to go somewhere.
    >

    > So does it go running down your face into your eyes or just get your hair all wet? Thanks.

    I think I remember hair. Here, Maybe this will explain:
    http://www.scheel.net/foto/cleeweb/AnneMette_Cletus_Torben.jpg

    I'm the dwarf in the middle.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  6. > I think I remember hair. Here, Maybe this will explain:
    > http://www.scheel.net/foto/cleeweb/AnneMette_Cletus_Torben.jpg
    >
    > I'm the dwarf in the middle.
    >
    > --
    > Cletus D. Lee

    omigod! Cletus, if you'd put on a red jumper and a black cone hat, you'd look just like a garden
    gnome. (not that there's anything wrong with that....)

    rich

  7. <Chas>

    <Chas> Guest

    "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > > Has anyone tried the Headsweats Cycling cap? I have only seen it in the Nashbar catalog, never
    > > in a store or on a biker. It is Coolmax with a 40+SPF rating. It has a short bill and is
    > > designed to be worn UNDER a helmet.
    >
    > I've used the Headsweats Skull cap (no bill) to keep my head warm(er) in
    the winter. I'm not
    > sure the Coolmax is a plus though. The water has to go somewhere. It
    doesn't evaporate under a
    > helmet like Coolmax can do when used in a jersey.

    I have used the Headsweats Skull cap under my helmet all summer (No. Calif.) and did not notice
    being hotter than without the skull cap. And it keeps my balding pate from having helmet-vent shaped
    sunburn patches. I think that once the skull cap gets wet, it's as effective at evaporating sweat as
    a jersey would be.

    My $0.02 worth

    <Chas> Haluzak Hybrid Race -- the inline wheelchair

  8. John Riley

    John Riley New Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2003
    I haven't seen the hat, but the skulll cap is the _only_ thing I have ever found that will actually fit comfortably under a helmet. (Who are you saying has a _big head_? ;-) I always wear one. See other comments about hair, which I seem to have pretty nearly everywhere except on the top of my head. Nature has a sense of humor.

    john riley

  9. Don

    Don Guest

    Thanks everyone for the feedback. No negative responses so I guess it is a winner. It apperears to
    do exactly what Nashbar advertises and is just what I am looking for.

    Paul, Thanks for your private email. I especially appreciate the tip that Perfomance has the caps.
    There is a store in my town. Have fun on the Corsa. I would have responded but I lost your address
    when I forwarded your email to another account. I do not know why Lycos did not forward your email
    address with the message. Lycos sucks, they can not stop the spam that is overflowing my account
    with 25-30 spams a day, many 143-155K most of them from a fake MSoft or returning of a message I
    never sent. I am planning on abandoning that account since Lycos can not fix the problem.