Anyone feel stupid today?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Cinder Girl, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    Then this should make you feel better.

    Went to unload the bike from the back of the car this morning. Bike is there. Helmet is there.
    Pump is there.

    Front Wheel? Nope. Not there.

    <arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg>

    ~CG

    Tags:

  2. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Then this should make you feel better.
    >
    > Went to unload the bike from the back of the car this morning. Bike is there. Helmet is there.
    > Pump is there.
    >
    > Front Wheel? Nope. Not there.

    I feel stupid most days.

    Like the day I drove off with my helmet and shoes on my roof.

    Like the day I spilt beer down this keyboard so it doesn't always give you the right case.

    Like the day I heated ethanol with no gauze and a blue flame.

    But, as you say, that's pretty stupid.

    Let's hear it for stupid everybody!

    Andy Chequer, personification of, reputedly

  3. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > Then this should make you feel better.
    >
    > Went to unload the bike from the back of the car this morning. Bike is there. Helmet is there.
    > Pump is there.
    >
    > Front Wheel? Nope. Not there.
    >

    > <arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg>
    >
    > ~CG

    Yup, been there, done that. I drove 30 minutes to the trailhead and no front wheel. I get back to my
    house an hour later and it's laying in the street where it fell when I drove away with it leaning
    against the side of my car.

    I've also left my front wheel leaning against my front bumper, which explained what that awful
    squealing/grinding sound was when I started to leave the trailhead parking area.

    Add those two to the incident when I tried to park in a covered space with my bike on the roof rack,
    and I think I've out-stupified you quite easily.

    But yes, thanks for making me feel slightly better. =)

    -John Morgan

  4. Cinders says:

    >Then this should make you feel better.

    Welcome to FWF. Most folks assume it means "Frighteningly Wierd Females", but although it is
    appropriate in this case <g>, it actually stands for "Front Wheel Forgetterers", and there are a
    great many members.......... self included.

    Steve

  5. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Then this should make you feel better.
    >
    > Went to unload the bike from the back of the car this morning. Bike is there. Helmet is there.
    > Pump is there.
    >
    > Front Wheel? Nope. Not there.
    >

    > <arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg>

    Better that than getting HOME and realizing you left it at the trailhead! (I was very fortunate it
    happened in a neighborhood and not somewhere remote; people across street {who ride} saw it and
    grabbed it for me.)

    Bill "buying 'em a case of beer better than shelling out for a new wheel!"
    S.

  6. Doug Taylor

    Doug Taylor Guest

    "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Then this should make you feel better.
    >
    >Went to unload the bike from the back of the car this morning. Bike is there. Helmet is there. Pump
    >is there.
    >
    >Front Wheel? Nope. Not there.

    This will make YOU feel better. I actually did the drive-into-the-garage-with-bike-on-the rack move
    the other day. I can't freaking believe it. After more than 10 years in this sport. Good thing I'm
    not a brain surgeon.

    --dt

  7. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Y3lMa.85884$%[email protected]...
    > > Then this should make you feel better.
    > >
    > > Went to unload the bike from the back of the car this morning. Bike is there. Helmet is there.
    > > Pump is there.
    > >
    > > Front Wheel? Nope. Not there.
    > >

    > > <arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg>
    > >
    > > ~CG
    >
    > Yup, been there, done that. I drove 30 minutes to the trailhead and no front wheel. I get back to
    > my house an hour later and it's laying in the street where it fell when I drove away with it
    > leaning against the side of my car.
    >
    > I've also left my front wheel leaning against my front bumper, which explained what that awful
    > squealing/grinding sound was when I started to leave the trailhead parking area.
    >
    > Add those two to the incident when I tried to park in a covered space with my bike on the roof
    > rack, and I think I've out-stupified you quite easily.

    We've got a lovely little insurance advertisement on the TV with exactly that scenario. Perky yuppie
    couple drive perky little SUV smartly into their garage with two bikes on top. "AMI. AM I insured?
    Sure you are..."
    --
    Westie

  8. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > Then this should make you feel better.
    >
    > Went to unload the bike from the back of the car this morning. Bike is there. Helmet is there.
    > Pump is there.
    >
    > Front Wheel? Nope. Not there.
    >

    > <arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg>
    >
    > ~CG

    That really blows! Look on the bright side, now you can get disk brakes :^ )
    --
    Slacker

  9. Super Slinky

    Super Slinky Guest

    Westie said...

    > We've got a lovely little insurance advertisement on the TV with exactly that scenario. Perky
    > yuppie couple drive perky little SUV smartly into their garage with two bikes on top. "AMI. AM I
    > insured? Sure you are..."
    > --
    > Westie

    Which is why my bike will never be bolted to the outside of a vehicle.

  10. Chris Hughes

    Chris Hughes Guest

    How about getting up at 5am, driving for an hour to get to your favorite ride and discover that the
    chain you took off to clean is still in that mason jar with about a pint of kerosene to keep it
    company. Lets see, I've got 2 spare links in my camel back. Now I only have to find 50 people with
    two spare links they are willing to give away. Chris

    "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Then this should make you feel better.
    >
    > Went to unload the bike from the back of the car this morning. Bike is there. Helmet is there.
    > Pump is there.
    >
    > Front Wheel? Nope. Not there.
    >

    > <arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg>
    >
    > ~CG

  11. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Then this should make you feel better.
    >
    > Went to unload the bike from the back of the car this morning. Bike is there. Helmet is there.
    > Pump is there.
    >
    > Front Wheel? Nope. Not there.
    >

    > <arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg>
    >
    > ~CG

    Thank you everyone for your support! Sadly, the wheel is not where I left
    it. I'm sure it didn't just up and roll away by itself.

    Now if everyone can just donate a spare spoke or something I'll get a new wheel :) I'll even set up
    one of those begging websites.

    Oh well, guess I will just have to go shopping! Surely I can go into the bike shop and buy *only*
    the new wheel. Although I do need some new shorts and a better seat and maybe some nifty new
    tools .....

    ~CG

  12. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Cinder Girl thoughtfully penned:
    > "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    not stupid just tired. We took the shake roof off today in prep for the 23 bundles being
    delivered tomorrow.

    I am the queen of loading old crappy shakes that have dry rot, lichens, Mt St Helens ash and Palouse
    loess all over them, into dump trucks. It was ok to throw things all day.

    Penny

  13. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

    "Cinder Girl" <juustagir[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Then this should make you feel better.
    >
    > Went to unload the bike from the back of the car this morning. Bike is there. Helmet is there.
    > Pump is there.
    >
    > Front Wheel? Nope. Not there.
    >

    > <arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg>
    >
    > ~CG

    I did the same thing about 2 years ago. I was loading up all my crap after a weekend at the in-laws,
    waited to put the front wheel in the car last, got everything else in and left to go home. 3 hours
    and 150 miles through some of Los Angeles' best traffic, I get home to unload and notice something
    is missing. Call the in-law's to see if it's outside where I left it. $250 wheel (new of course)
    GONE! Probably ended up on some pimpin Magna

    I wasn't on this ride, but I've heard Miles did an entire 18 mile ride in his Teva's (he normally
    runs Speedplay pedals so not much platfor to begin with) after forgetting his shoes..........I'm
    sure he rode better than half the people on teh ride!

    Michael

  14. Gyp

    Gyp Guest

    Cinder Girl wrote:
    > Front Wheel? Nope. Not there.

    Front wheel missing, you where lucky..

    Last time I forgot something, I packed everything up (well nearly everything) drove for 20 mins got
    out and realised I'd forgoten the bike..

    <Whimper>

    Fortunatly I was cycling from work so it wasn't a complete waste of a trip. Even so it was a gross
    oversight..

    Gyp (Who is feeling his age)..

  15. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Cinder Girl wrote:
    > Then this should make you feel better.
    >
    > Went to unload the bike from the back of the car this morning. Bike is there. Helmet is there.
    > Pump is there.
    >
    > Front Wheel? Nope. Not there.

    Visiting wife's parents for a week -- 5 states away. We were driving out there to help them move in
    to their new (old) home. I pack my bike, my tools, lubes, extra parts, small workstand, riding
    clothes, extra riding clothes, and everything else that I might need. 20-some driving hours later, I
    unpack and grab some deserved rest. Get up the next moring for a nice pre-everyone's up ride, and...
    no shoes!!! My pedals are too small to ride in sneakers. SO, we search the phone book and then the
    web only to find that the nearest bike shop to them is over 100 miles away AND it's a road bike shop
    (Schwinn). (I won't mention getting lost in town trying to FIND this bike shop, and my wife sitting
    on my GPS and breaking the laptop connector so I lost my real-time detailed moving maps until I got
    a soldering iron to FIX IT :)). So, I now have a spare set of overpriced ROAD shoes <sigh>. BUT, I
    DID GET TO RIDE (the rest of the week)!

    David

  16. On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 00:37:34 GMT, Super Slinky <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Which is why my bike will never be bolted to the outside of a vehicle.

    Never say never, my man.

    Someday, you may need to carry more than two bikes and two people, along with camping gear,
    etc... <G>

    In some cases, not putting the bike(s) outside means not bringing them at all.

    The key to not hitting your own garage is simply unplugging the electric opener from it's A/C source
    when you leave.

    Barry

  17. DAvid Kunz says:

    >Visiting wife's parents for a week -- 5 states away.

    <snip gadget control manoeuvers>

    >BUT, I DID GET TO RIDE (the rest of the week)!

    Now, if you had just used flats, you wouldn't have had to buy GRS shoes, fix your GPS, or look like
    a dork in front of your in-laws.

    ;-)

    Steve

  18. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <Keep it in the [email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The key to not hitting your own garage is simply unplugging the electric opener from it's A/C
    > source when you leave.

    That doesn't stop you going through the Macca's Drivethrough. Or any number of other low roof areas
    one could potentially drive your vehicle into. Nor would it work for me, I have neither a garage
    door (it had to be removed after driving the car into the garage while it had one of those car
    luggage boxes on top), nor does it have electricity, nor does it have an electric door (see
    previous "nor")

    Trentus

  19. On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 20:32:48 +1000, "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <Keep it in the [email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> The key to not hitting your own garage is simply unplugging the electric opener from it's A/C
    >> source when you leave.
    >
    >That doesn't stop you going through the Macca's Drivethrough. Or any number of other low roof areas
    >one could potentially drive your vehicle into.

    So, put 'em on the back! <G>

    Barry

  20. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    John Morgan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Y3lMa.85884$%[email protected]...
    > > Then this should make you feel better.
    > >
    > > Went to unload the bike from the back of the car this morning. Bike is there. Helmet is there.
    > > Pump is there.
    > >
    > > Front Wheel? Nope. Not there.
    > >

    > > <arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg>
    > >
    > > ~CG
    >
    > Yup, been there, done that. I drove 30 minutes to the trailhead and no front wheel. I get back to
    > my house an hour later and it's laying in the street where it fell when I drove away with it
    > leaning against the side of my car.
    >
    > I've also left my front wheel leaning against my front bumper, which explained what that awful
    > squealing/grinding sound was when I started to leave the trailhead parking area.
    >
    > Add those two to the incident when I tried to park in a covered space with my bike on the roof
    > rack, and I think I've out-stupified you quite easily.
    >
    > But yes, thanks for making me feel slightly better. =)

    Never done anything like that - you are obviously truly very stupid. I feel very smart right now -
    thanks ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe - Me smart like monkey!