Anyone friction shifting 9sp or 10sp?

John M

Jun 21, 2005
I am gradually upgrading a nice older steel frame but can't afford to buy the whole drivetrain all at once. I would like to initially upgrade everything but shifters to campy 9 or 10 and get the ergo levers when I save more money. Anyone have any experience with friction shifting 9 or 10 sp. Thanks.

I am doing the exact same thing as you and have been friction shifting DA10 in the back and a record triple in the front for a year now. Works great. Some people actually like friction better because it is lighter and fine tuning isn't as touchy.

Yeah I had the same problem as you with this old raleigh touring bike but I decided to get a new road bike instead. But if its a decent steel frame it could be worth getting new drivetrain but if this costs more than the whole frame and stuff i don't how worth it is to upgrade.

smeg said:
Yeah I had the same problem as you with this old raleigh touring bike but I decided to get a new road bike instead. But if its a decent steel frame it could be worth getting new drivetrain but if this costs more than the whole frame and stuff i don't how worth it is to upgrade.
Yes, I have been friction shifting for a number of years on a Harry Quinn steel frame, with Campagnolo Chorus 9 speed - std 53/39 in front ( were originally 52/42). Never any problems - I wouldn't bother to upgrade. I purchased a Trek5500 frame ( 3rd hand) and built it with Campagnolo Veloce 9 speed with Ergo Levels. Shifting is alot nicer and safer. Not a whole difference in speed of bikes - Trek is faster but am using Campag. Shamals ( 2nd hand also) - more aero.

John M said:
I am gradually upgrading a nice older steel frame but can't afford to buy the whole drivetrain all at once. I would like to initially upgrade everything but shifters to campy 9 or 10 and get the ergo levers when I save more money. Anyone have any experience with friction shifting 9 or 10 sp. Thanks.

You could also get the 10s campy shifters and use them with 9s shimano 105 derailleurs, shimano 10s chain, a 10s ultegra cassette and, and a JTEK shiftmate.

The shiftmate allows you to mix and match shimano derailleurs with campy shifters.

I've got this setup and it works great. Less expensive than running all campy stuff.

Mr_Potatohead said:
You could also get the 10s campy shifters and use them with 9s shimano 105 derailleurs, shimano 10s chain, a 10s ultegra cassette and, and a JTEK shiftmate.

The shiftmate allows you to mix and match shimano derailleurs with campy shifters.

I've got this setup and it works great. Less expensive than running all campy stuff.

Thanks, I considered Shiftmate and a Shimano/Campy mixture, but I already picked up a great deal on a pair of Campy wheels and crankset. Now I am getting derailleurs and cassette. With the high cost of ergo (or STI for that matter) shifters, I want to stick with my old shifters in friction mode until I spot the right deal on Ergo shifters.

John M said:
I friction shift 9 speed on my 2 touring bicycle via bar end shifters. I looked at doing it on my road bicycle too, but someone sold me the whole groupo at a price that made upgrading just too easy.