anyone from ireland?

No not from Ireland, from belgium, but i'm planning a trip to ireland in september. I hope to do some cycling starting from Shannon...
bye.

Originally posted by ALAN OBRIEN
anyone here from ireland? im from shannon, co. clare.

ALAN OBRIEN said:
I'm from Dublin, but the whole family is from Wexford. I'm currently living in Belgium. I must admit both are great for the cycling!

"A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FOOT"

ALAN OBRIEN said:
hi alan

there are a few of us. I am also from shannon but living up in dublin. what kind of bike do you ride?

keith

keithd said:
hi alan

there are a few of us. I am also from shannon but living up in dublin. what kind of bike do you ride?

keith
got a colnago active, with ultegra, what you got? :)

ALAN OBRIEN said:
got a colnago active, with ultegra, what you got? :)

I'm from Ireland - originally Dublin but living in Limerick.
I cycle a Bianchi, Pinarello and Raleigh.

Hi, Good to see a few Irish people on the forum. I only just joined the forum and am relatively new to the sport as well. Going to college in UL in Sept, are there any cycling clubs i could join that would cater for novices. Also what age does junior category end in Ireland.
Cheers

Irish Indurain said:
Hi, Good to see a few Irish people on the forum. I only just joined the forum and am relatively new to the sport as well. Going to college in UL in Sept, are there any cycling clubs i could join that would cater for novices. Also what age does junior category end in Ireland.
Cheers

Indurain welcome.

The Limerick Cycling Club are a pretty active club and they operate out of
UL (so you've no excuse not to get out for a training spin !)

Let me know if you need details - they have both competitive and non-competitive riders.

Limerickman (originally from Dublin though)

HOWIYA...
I'm from Longford.Fairly new to all this.Took it up last sept.Non racer,club rides,long solos,commuting.Did Wicklow 200(first century-great day!)
LOVING IT!
allthebest
jo'h

disraeligears said:
HOWIYA...
I'm from Longford.Fairly new to all this.Took it up last sept.Non racer,club rides,long solos,commuting.Did Wicklow 200(first century-great day!)
LOVING IT!
allthebest
jo'h

The Wicklow 200 was great this year, I agree.
Are u doing it next year ?

Cant Wait!
I know there are other similar touring type events,would like to take part in some.Hard to beat the Wicklow for the scenery though...
jo'h

Thanks for the info about Limerick CC 'limerickman'. I will definitely follow that up when i go back to college. I'm new to the sport but i'm pretty fit already. I did rowing in UL last year but, in all honesty, i'm too small to ever develop into a competitive rower. I got a Dawes Giro 200 (very basic i know) to help my rowing programme during the year and i now feel i need to put pedals on for cycling shoes. Any recommendations for a good pair of pedals/shoes for a novice and where i could get them in Ireland?
Thanks for the help

Irish Indurain said:
Thanks for the info about Limerick CC 'limerickman'. I will definitely follow that up when i go back to college. I'm new to the sport but i'm pretty fit already. I did rowing in UL last year but, in all honesty, i'm too small to ever develop into a competitive rower. I got a Dawes Giro 200 (very basic i know) to help my rowing programme during the year and i now feel i need to put pedals on for cycling shoes. Any recommendations for a good pair of pedals/shoes for a novice and where i could get them in Ireland?
Thanks for the help

Indurain - I had a very inteesting chat with a man I used to cycle with.
He has just opened a shop here in Limerick (on the dock road).
He's in the process of forming another club here in Limerick.
I'll keep you posted if you're interested.

limerickman said:
Indurain - I had a very inteesting chat with a man I used to cycle with.
He has just opened a shop here in Limerick (on the dock road).
He's in the process of forming another club here in Limerick.
I'll keep you posted if you're interested.
limerickman, where on the dock road? would i know this person?

ALAN OBRIEN said:
limerickman, where on the dock road? would i know this person?

I don't know if you know this guy - his shop only opened two weeks ago.
He was featured heavily in the local papers.

His shop is located as follows :
driving from Limerick City toward Mungret roudabout - his shop is located on
the last set of business premises before the roadabout on the left hand side
(it's called Cycling Pursuits).
His prices are a bit steep though.

Had my first crash today. Stupid really. Some road works and a temporary set of traffic lights. Traffic slowed, I was too slow to realise. Tried to release from my new clipless pedals quickly. Too late. Keeled over in front of a load of cars. Emabarassing. Leg was cut but it was my pride that was hurt. Lost a screw from one of my cleats as well to round it all off!

Not from Ireland, but both sets of grandparents are. One of my fondest memories/cycling memories was visting the Aran Isalnds with my Dad when I was a kid. He went off with the other adults to hit the local pubs I assume, :D while I and some distant cousins of mine rented some ancient one speed bikes from a cranky old lady who only spoke gaelic. I rode all over the island, ending my trip at Dun Aengus. It was amazing. I have not returned in 12 years. Looking forward to a possible family reunion maybe next year and would like to do some hiking/camping and cycling in the north . Any recommendations.

kbs23 said:
Not from Ireland, but both sets of grandparents are. One of my fondest memories/cycling memories was visting the Aran Isalnds with my Dad when I was a kid. He went off with the other adults to hit the local pubs I assume, :D while I and some distant cousins of mine rented some ancient one speed bikes from a cranky old lady who only spoke gaelic. I rode all over the island, ending my trip at Dun Aengus. It was amazing. I have not returned in 12 years. Looking forward to a possible family reunion maybe next year and would like to do some hiking/camping and cycling in the north . Any recommendations.
try northern ireland tourism board .com. i just had a good look at the site an there seems to be plenty on it.
are you staying up north or coming down south too? you may want to check out the ring of kerry if you are, i've done it on a few occasions and love it, especially when the weather is good.
anyway, good luck, and let us know how you get on. :)

disraeligears said:
Cant Wait!
I know there are other similar touring type events,would like to take part in some.Hard to beat the Wicklow for the scenery though...
jo'h

We've just announced the 2005 Wicklow 200 route - it takes place on Sunday 12th June 2005.
Route is being finalised - details to follow.