Anyone from Malaysia?

roger89 said:
Hello,

I want to know, is anyone here from Malaysia?
I live and work in Miri, Sarawak (Malaysian Borneo). I come from NZ and my family's in Aussie. I was based in KL for a couple of years, and re-located over here this year. I ride a fixie on the road.

roger89 said:
hi EoinC,

Do you ride with the Malaysian team?
That would be a negative, Roger. When I was in KL, I used to go for rides on Sundays with the Malaysian Junior Team's Coach, Ng, but these were just training rides (up Genting on a &^%*ing fixed wheel).
Are you in Malaysia?

Yo Coin,

Do u have MSN Messenger?

How old were u that time when u ride with the M'sian junior team? How did u meet the team at the beginning? n the coach as well?

N what's wrong with a fixed wheel?
rolleyes.gif

Yes, I'm in Malaysia. in KL.

roger89 said:
Yo Coin,

Do u have MSN Messenger?

How old were u that time when u ride with the M'sian junior team? How did u meet the team at the beginning? n the coach as well?

N what's wrong with a fixed wheel?
rolleyes.gif

Yes, I'm in Malaysia. in KL.
Roger,
I don't ride with the Malaysian Junior Team (I'm ancient). When I was in KL, I used to go for rides with their Coach. Joo Ngan owns 2 bike shops in KL - 1 in Bangsar (which I haven't been to) and 1 (Joo Ngan Bicycle Centre) at 377-1, 4th Mile, Jln Ampang, near the corner of Jln Ampang and Jln Ulu Kilang, straight across the road from Plaza Ampang City at the West (city) side of the Ampang flyover that crosses Ulu Kilang.
Give them a call on 4257 5249 and see if you can go on one of their Sunday morning rides. Usually it'll be up in the hills to Bentong or similar. Trust me - riding a fixie up there and back down makes receiving water torture look like a fascinating way of spending your idle hours.
Where are you in KL?

Eoin,

How many cyclist does Joo Ngan has under his coaching? How did u meet up with the coach then went cycling with him/his team?

I asked u what's wrong with a fixie, actually, I don't know what is it that u mean. Can you explain to me what's a fixie?

How do I speak to the coach if I wanna join the ride? Do you think it's possible that I ride with a mountain bike with them?

I live in Taman Melawati, somewhere near the National Zoo. Quite near Ampang. My place is near the Klang Gates dam.

Anyway, add me in ur MSN Msger if u have.

TQ.

roger89 said:
Eoin,

How many cyclist does Joo Ngan has under his coaching? How did u meet up with the coach then went cycling with him/his team?

I asked u what's wrong with a fixie, actually, I don't know what is it that u mean. Can you explain to me what's a fixie?

How do I speak to the coach if I wanna join the ride? Do you think it's possible that I ride with a mountain bike with them?

I live in Taman Melawati, somewhere near the National Zoo. Quite near Ampang. My place is near the Klang Gates dam.

Anyway, add me in ur MSN Msger if u have.

TQ.
Joo Ngan coaches the Juniors during the week. On Sundays he organises an early morning ride with pretty much whoever wants to go (including a few vet's like myself). His shop is not far from where you live, and most of the rides are up the old road to Bentong. Give the shop a call and they'll tell you the details. I don't think they'd have any problem with a mountain bike in the group, and the group usually splits up once the hills start, so you just fit in with anyone who's going at the same pace.
A fixie is a fixed-wheel bike - 1 gear and no free-wheel - It's a track bike which I ride on the road.

Hi Eoin,

I'll try give him a call tomorrow n see. Why not u ride with them(maybe me included) this Sunday or next Sunday?

roger89 said:
Hi Eoin,

I'll try give him a call tomorrow n see. Why not u ride with them(maybe me included) this Sunday or next Sunday?
The reason I don't ride with them anymore is because I live in Miri in Sarawak. I left KL at the beginning of the year.
Give them a call. They're good people.

Eoin,

I called the coach today, I ask can I ride with a mountain bike.. he said err very hard lar..

:(

roger89 said:
Eoin,

I called the coach today, I ask can I ride with a mountain bike.. he said err very hard lar..

:(
It doesn't matter if it's hard (training isn't meant to be easy). Just turn up at the corner near his shop on Sunday morning and give it a go. If you get dropped, don't worry about it. Just carry on with your ride and try to go faster the next week. There's usually a few slower riders to slot in with. Did he tell you what time they start? I think it used to be around 06:00.

Hi Eoin,

Does Ng charge any fee for the junior coaching or senior one? If so, how much?

How often those cyclist take part in competitions?

roger89 said:
Hi Eoin,

Does Ng charge any fee for the junior coaching or senior one? If so, how much?

How often those cyclist take part in competitions?
The Sunday rides aren't coaching sessions, they're just training rides which leave from Joo Ngan's shop. The Juniors he coaches are the National squad. I don't wknow if he does any other coaching - I doubt if he has time for it. Best thing you can do is get over there on Sunday morning, ride with them and ask all the questions you want.
Have you got road tires on your M/Bike? You may want to consider putting on a set, but try a ride with the others first to see whether it's what you want to do or not.
Most of my riding in KL was around 4am or 8pm, so the Sunday sessions were mainly a chance to get some group riding in again (plus the incentive to ride the fixie up some decent climbs).
So...are you going this Sunday? Find out the time and get yourself down there. They leave from the side road just around the corner from the Bike Shop.

So does he charge the cyclist for any fee?

I'm still not sure if I should ride with a MTB. Plus, I'll be a total stranger there.... :(

roger89 said:
So does he charge the cyclist for any fee?

I'm still not sure if I should ride with a MTB. Plus, I'll be a total stranger there.... :(
They're only bike riders, not royalty. Everyone starts as a stranger. It's pretty simple - ride down there in the morning it's not far from your place, anyway), ride with the group, stick with the ones who are riding at your speed, talk with the people you're riding with, ride as far as you can or want, peel off and ride home. All of the people that I used to ride with there are good and helpful. It's not a race, only a ride. There's no fee or rules - it's just a few people riding bikes in the same direction on public roads. Some push hard / some ride easy.
If they're riding to Bentong, try to get to the top of the Genting hill where they all re-group. Some of them always turn around then and head back to Ampang etc. There's always plenty of other riders heading up the old Genting / Bentong road - just ride at your own pace.
There's nothing wrong with riding a Mountain Bike in there. You'll still be better off on the hills than I am on my Track Bike. Go and do it - I'll be disappointed if you don't.

Sorry Eoin, I wanted to ask about the junior cycling team. Does he charge any fee for his coaching?

Anyway, Ampang to my house it's quite a distance to ride by my bike. Plus riding with the heavy traffic is terrible with the smog n pollution... how am I gonna go .. lol

roger89 said:
Sorry Eoin, I wanted to ask about the junior cycling team. Does he charge any fee for his coaching?

Anyway, Ampang to my house it's quite a distance to ride by my bike. Plus riding with the heavy traffic is terrible with the smog n pollution... how am I gonna go .. lol
1) I have no idea whether he charges for the Coaching, but you would have to qualify for the Junior Team before you'd have to worry about that. I'm thinking you've got a long way to go before that becomes a question.
2) Your house is not far from Ampang. Most of the rides go past your house on the way out to Bentong. Many of the rides are 100km+. Some of the riders have already ridden 30km just to get to the start at Ampang, and have to do the same again when they get back there after the group ride. If you can't ride from your place to Ampang, hmmmm. All my riding is on the road with heavy traffic. My night-time rides used to be from Ampang through town (Bukit Bintang etc) over to China Town, across to Parliament or Stesin Sentral, and then back over to Tittiwangsa, back along Tun Razak and up Ampang, all the time dicing with the fabulous KL traffic. Not much point in getting a road bike if you're not going to ride it on the road.
3) I think we used to meet at about 06:00. There's hardly any traffic on Ulu Kilang at that time on a Sunday. It sounds to me like you're making a lot of excuses not to go. That certainly isn't the kind of thinking that's going to get you a position on any team.
It's up to you - go and ride, then tell me about it, or don't ride and I don't need to talk to you about bike riding anymore.
Regards,
Eoin

I'm not! I'm just asking too many stuff("finding" reason not to go) cause I'm sure my parents wont let me go. And yes, I just ask them, they wont let me go. Saying riding on road and highway is dangerous!! ish!... Maybe u don't wanna talk to me anymore, but could u help me one more time again? How do I convince my parents that I would be safe n allow me to go?

roger89 said:
I'm not! I'm just asking too many stuff("finding" reason not to go) cause I'm sure my parents wont let me go. And yes, I just ask them, they wont let me go. Saying riding on road and highway is dangerous!! ish!... Maybe u don't wanna talk to me anymore, but could u help me one more time again? How do I convince my parents that I would be safe n allow me to go?
How old are you? You need to think about what it is that you want to do. Why do you want to get a road bike if you're not going to ride on the road? I don't know about you, but I enjoy riding on the road, I enjoy riding in a bunch and I enjoy racing. I have been hit by cars in KL, but only when I've been riding on my own.
If your parents are concerned (and that's pretty understandable in KL), you need to be able to convince them of your safety. That may mean getting them to come to the bike Shop and talk it over with the people down there.
Perhaps you want to try your hand at track racing. They have training nights out at the velodrome where you can give it a shot. It won't stop you from crashing, but you're less likely to get hit by a truck on the track.
Think through clearly what it is that you want to do. Ask your parents to come down to Joo Ngan's Bike Shop. Explain what it is that you want to try, and listen to what they all have to say. If their final word is "No", then you need to change your focus for now. There are also plenty of mountain bike races and rides.
Let me know how you get on.