Anyone from Richmond, London?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Bob42, May 23, 2006.

1. Bob42

Bob42 New Member

Is anyone here from around Richmond Park in London? What sort of rides/times do you do round the park?

Tags:

2. Bob42

Bob42 New Member

3. AndROOb

AndROOb New Member

Hi Bob,
    I'm based near Guildford, just down the A3 from you. I normally ride south or west from home rather than up towards the 'smoke'.

4. PistachioAddict

PistachioAddict New Member

not sure what you're asking, 2 laps is good for a beginner as the hills are a challenge when you start out.

There are groups on saturday mornings some go quite fast some don't, some are there before I arrive and are there when I leave :D but any more than 4 laps I head out to Surrey because of the boredom aspect.

It's funny doing 2 laps around there, going out to surrey riding 50 miles coming back on the way home and doing 2 laps and they feel easier than the first 2?? I guess I'm not a morning person (definitely not I feel like s**t on the bike until at least 10:30 am :eek: )

5. bomber

bomber New Member

I ride around Richmond only when I am pressed for time or the weather looks too changeable. I prefer to go in search of routes out of London than fight the traffic and other cyclists in the confines of the Park. If you are referring to lap times of the park on my own I generally average between 20 and 21minutes. I have heard of a lap down in late 18minutes but that could be an urban myth ;)

6. palewin

palewin New Member

Ah, nostalgia. When I was an ex-pat living in London in the late 70s I used Richmond Park as one of my training routes. Does the deer herd still keep you company? I still remember the signs urging caution during the mating season.

7. bomber

bomber New Member

LOL I havent seen those but then I have only been here 2 years but having the deer so close is still somewhat of a novelty.

8. Bob42

Bob42 New Member

I was just wondering if there were any cunning things that people do. Maybe not. I just did 4 laps in 19 mins each on my own and was pretty chuffed. My fastest is 18:50!

9. bomber

bomber New Member

Well I um hmmm had a slow puncture/broken wheel/snapped frame/doing specific low speed training otherwise i could do those times... :eek:

10. nickpbrown

nickpbrown New Member

I used to live in putney and liked cycling round the park. As I remember its a bit over 6 miles and used to go round in 20mins or so. Now I'm in sydney and the park here is only 2.4 miles. It gets pretty boring and the Deer are replaced by Pelicans and Cockatoos. :)