Anyone from the Tampa area?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

asahitoro

How's the Suncoast Trail? I live in Lutz about a mile from where it begins. What's a good rig for
this 42 mile paved path? A beefy road bike? Mountain bike that has some road type tires? I'm still
stuck on this Trek 7700 hybrid bike. It seems like the perfect machine for this type of riding?
Thanks for any input,

Scott

I haven't been on it yet, but I have driven by many times. It looks to be a smooth asphalt path
about 8' wide. It should be suitable for any road or hybrid bike. A mountain bike would probably not
be too good. It isn't really a trail, it is more of a paved bike lane.

Steve

[email protected] wrote in news:TvU7a.66948$163.1481915 @twister.tampabay.rr.com:

> How's the Suncoast Trail? I live in Lutz about a mile from where it begins. What's a good rig for
> this 42 mile paved path? A beefy road bike? Mountain bike that has some road type tires? I'm still
> stuck on this Trek 7700 hybrid bike. It seems like the perfect machine for this type of riding?
> Thanks for any input,
>
> Scott

Thanks for the reply Steve,

Yeah, I know it's not really a trail, they just call it the Suncoast Trail. If you do go on it on a
road bike, I wonder if you can go full bore or are there too many people on it to get any extended
speed/distance and a good pace?

Scott

In article <[email protected]>, Igor <[email protected]> wrote:

> I haven't been on it yet, but I have driven by many times. It looks to be a smooth asphalt path
> about 8' wide. It should be suitable for any road or hybrid bike. A mountain bike would probably
> not be too good. It isn't really a trail, it is more of a paved bike lane.
>
> Steve
>
>
> [email protected] wrote in news:TvU7a.66948$163.1481915 @twister.tampabay.rr.com:
>
> > How's the Suncoast Trail? I live in Lutz about a mile from where it begins. What's a good rig
> > for this 42 mile paved path? A beefy road bike? Mountain bike that has some road type tires? I'm
> > still stuck on this Trek 7700 hybrid bike. It seems like the perfect machine for this type of
> > riding? Thanks for any input,
> >
> > Scott
>

[email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Thanks for the reply Steve,
>
> Yeah, I know it's not really a trail, they just call it the Suncoast Trail. If you do go on it on
> a road bike, I wonder if you can go full bore or are there too many people on it to get any
> extended speed/distance and a good pace?

Even on the weekends there aren't many people on the trail. I would definitely get a road bike for
this ride. Make sure you also get some sunscreen since, from what I have seen of it, there is little
or no shade anywhere.

**** Durbin Tallahassee

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (**** Durbin) wrote:

> [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Thanks for the reply Steve,
> >
> > Yeah, I know it's not really a trail, they just call it the Suncoast Trail. If you do go on it
> > on a road bike, I wonder if you can go full bore or are there too many people on it to get any
> > extended speed/distance and a good pace?
>
> Even on the weekends there aren't many people on the trail. I would definitely get a road bike for
> this ride. Make sure you also get some sunscreen since, from what I have seen of it, there is
> little or no shade anywhere.
>
> **** Durbin Tallahassee

Thanks ****,

I've driven along it the whole way via my car but haven't been on it on my bike yet. I live right at
the beginning of the south end off Lutz Lake Fern Road. It would be a mighty journey(for me) to go
42 miles each way. If I ever attempted that, I definitely would want a road bike. I'll probably be
able to grab about 10 miles back and forth at least three times a week until I can find more time to
go further. I already have a mountain bike with slicks for shorter trips so I guess I should start
looking for a quality road bike so I can be ready for the 'big ride' every once in a while. Any
suggestions on one for about a grand give or take a few hundred? I was considering a Trek 7700
hybrid but am holding off right now until I research it a little more. Thanks again for the input,

Scott

[email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> every once in a while. Any suggestions on one for about a grand give or take a few hundred? I was
> considering a Trek 7700 hybrid but am holding off right now until I research it a little more.
> Thanks again for the input,

There are a number of nice road bikes with Shimano 105 components that cost $1,000 or less. If you
go to Dud Thames shop in Tampa they can set you up with exactly what you need.

I've ridden the Trail from Largo to Dunedin and little further north... it's OK for medium speed
riding, and there are some stretches where you can open it up, but for the most part you're either
dodging runner, walkers, or skaters or stopping with a semi-ammoying regularity at street crossings.
While it's OK for a casual social ride with a friend or 2, I would not use it for any serious
training. An MTB / hybrid with slicks or semi-slicks will be fine for the trail, no worries!

Cheers, Chris...
- Tampa Bay local, some time ago...

> How's the Suncoast Trail? I live in Lutz about a mile from where it begins. What's a good rig for
> this 42 mile paved path? A beefy road bike? Mountain bike that has some road type tires? I'm still
> stuck on this Trek 7700 hybrid bike. It seems like the perfect machine for this type of riding?
> Thanks for any input,
>
> Scott

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Cb) wrote:

> I've ridden the Trail from Largo to Dunedin and little further north... it's OK for medium speed
> riding, and there are some stretches where you can open it up, but for the most part you're either
> dodging runner, walkers, or skaters or stopping with a semi-ammoying regularity at street
> crossings. While it's OK for a casual social ride with a friend or 2, I would not use it for any
> serious training. An MTB / hybrid with slicks or semi-slicks will be fine for the trail, no
> worries!
>
> Cheers, Chris...
> - Tampa Bay local, some time ago...

Thanks Chris but I think you mean the Pinellas Trail which is in Pinellas county. The Suncoast Trail
starts in Hillsborough county and runs all the way north to Citrus? county. It's only been around
for about 2-3 years and may not have been here when you lived here. I have ridden on the Pinellas
Trail and it looks quite different. It's also a paved path but it goes through more populated areas.
As you said, you have to watch out for skaters, walkers, runners, etc.. The Suncoast Trail runs
through mostly rural areas and it looks like one could get some good extended speed going. Here's a
link that describes the Suncoast Trail some:

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide/regions/westcentral/trails/suncoast. htm

Thanks for the input,

Scott

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
> (Cb) wrote:
>
> > I've ridden the Trail from Largo to Dunedin and little further north... it's OK for medium speed
> > riding, and there are some stretches where you can open it up, but for the most part you're
> > either dodging runner, walkers, or skaters or stopping with a semi-ammoying regularity at street
> > crossings. While it's OK for a casual social ride with a friend or 2, I would not use it for any
> > serious training. An MTB / hybrid with slicks or semi-slicks will be fine for the trail, no
> > worries!
> >
> > Cheers, Chris...
> > - Tampa Bay local, some time ago...
>
> Thanks Chris but I think you mean the Pinellas Trail which is in Pinellas county. The Suncoast
> Trail starts in Hillsborough county and runs all the way north to Citrus? county. It's only been
> around for about 2-3 years and may not have been here when you lived here. I have ridden on the
> Pinellas Trail and it looks quite different. It's also a paved path but it goes through more
> populated areas. As you said, you have to watch out for skaters, walkers, runners, etc.. The
> Suncoast Trail runs through mostly rural areas and it looks like one could get some good extended
> speed going. Here's a link that describes the Suncoast Trail some:
>
> http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide/regions/westcentral/trails/suncoast. htm
>
> Thanks for the input,
>
> Scott

One thing on the above link. The Trail has since been extended more north for a total of 42 miles
each way. I can't find a newer link. I think they plan to hook the two trails(Pinellas and Suncoast)
together someday before 2020.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.