anyone get chased by dogs?

Got chased yesterday by two of "man's best friends"!
I went for long ride yesterday to the Devils Bit in Tipperary.
At the foot of the clim - two dogs saw me as I passed the house that they were in.
They started chasing me, barking and growling as they did so.

I stopped pedalling.
Got off the bike and just stood there as they barked and growled.
After a few moments, they both stopped and I went on my way.

limerickman said:
Got chased yesterday by two of "man's best friends"!
I went for long ride yesterday to the Devils Bit in Tipperary.
At the foot of the clim - two dogs saw me as I passed the house that they were in.
They started chasing me, barking and growling as they did so.

I stopped pedalling.
Got off the bike and just stood there as they barked and growled.
After a few moments, they both stopped and I went on my way.
your pretty brave. I would have tried to out run em.

Dogs aren't that smart. They stop when you stop. They chase when you ride. Trying to out run them on residential roads is just putting yourself in danger of other road hazards.

I get chased all the time, too many rednecks around here that don't tie them up or fence them. A small spritz bottle whith highly diluted ammonia is usually good to stop them. You want to dilute it so that it is uncomfortable but does not do any permanent damage to the dog. These rednecks also own guns and value their dogs over other family members.

It usually only takes one or two encounters for the dog to start warily watching you as you ride on by instead of chasing you. Sort of the polecat effect.

I have found that stopping pedaling works wonders. Dogs seem to get very ticked off by turning legs/pedals. They usually lose interest in a bicycle without moving legs to consider chomping...

I then yell loudly leaning over towards the dog. Usually scares them enough to falter/hesitate.

Sprayed them in the face from my water bottle in the 1-2cases over the years of persistent trouble makers.

Unclipped and kicked one in the nose once in all of my years of riding. He stopped immediately.

Powerful Pete said:
I have found that stopping pedaling works wonders. Dogs seem to get very ticked off by turning legs/pedals. They usually lose interest in a bicycle without moving legs to consider chomping...

I then yell loudly leaning over towards the dog. Usually scares them enough to falter/hesitate.

Sprayed them in the face from my water bottle in the 1-2cases over the years of persistent trouble makers.

Unclipped and kicked one in the nose once in all of my years of riding. He stopped immediately.

I used to just spray them with the bottle. Now I have started pointing my bike in their direction (at a safe distance) and screaming at the top of my lungs as I sprint. Some very confused looking dogs there. This does not however deter them on the next ride.

I ride in a rural portion of Alabama so dogs are just a part of the experience.

Just every time I ride. I have hit two in the last month or so.

jhuskey said:
I found after many thousands of miles of touring that the spray with the water-bottle trick works the best. It normally stops them in their tracks and does not hurt them. I had a friend that kept one bottle filled with some diluted household ammonia for predictable tough routes where there were known trouble makers, but this isn't very humane. Maybe dilute lemon juice would be better and at least you could drink it :D , I also heard that if you go to a boat store and buy one of those canned emergency horns that scrares the hell out of them. :rolleyes:
Also agree with the stop pedalling thing as I think frantic pedaling helps bring on the chase instinct in them, but if you are on an uphill that doesn't work well loaded down with 40 lbs of full paniers. :eek:

George

jhuskey said:

Huskey,

Generally, I don't classify people in such pergorative terms.

You fellows should feel privileged. The best I can recall is the odd irate husband and on one occasion a randy policewoman.

Kind regards,

James Bruce Gil said:
Huskey,

Generally, I don't classify people in such pergorative terms.

You fellows should feel privileged. The best I can recall is the odd irate husband and on one occasion a randy policewoman.

Kind regards,
A dog, by anyother name, is still a dog:rolleyes: !

kdelong said:
A dog, by anyother name, is still a dog:rolleyes: !

KDL

Ah so you are speaking of the canine type? I'm sorry all this business about legs being savaged etc misled me. :eek:

I thought we were discussing good fortune that has never come in my direction as yet. It always seem that I have had to do the chasing except on some most unedifying occasions.

Kind regards,

I wish the whole stop pedaling thing worked for me. I've gotten down pretty good where the dogs are on my different routes. Backroads in WV don't holf the kindest dogs. I just look at it motivation for a sprint.
The closet I came to hitting a dog was actually an annoying ass jack russel or something like that...one of those pointless excuses for a dog. I was just starting out after buying some drink so I figured I would see how long he could go. After awhile, he started like getting right on my wheel and trying to bite it. I seriously thought I was going to run over it a few times.
I will have to try the water spray bottle to the face.

James Bruce Gil said:
KDL

Ah so you are speaking of the canine type? I'm sorry all this business about legs being savaged etc misled me. :eek:

I thought we were discussing good fortune that has never come in my direction as yet. It always seem that I have had to do the chasing except on some most unedifying occasions.

Kind regards,

I have been chased by those dogs as well. I would usually throw them a bone. A bone being a friend a lot more desperate than I.
A diversionary tactic.
"If you lay down with dogs you wake up with a hangover and a desire to poke out both eyes."

I was talkin with a guy about his old ridin days, the 80's when he raced, when he'd be training, there'd be huge dogs, not chasing him, trying to attack him, they would jump up and try to rip him off his bike, so he'd pull out his hand pump, slam em across the snout once, then they'd never try to attack again. He wouldn't hurt the dogs, he just hit them hard enough to scare em up a little.

Cycler6n said:
I was talkin with a guy about his old ridin days, the 80's when he raced, when he'd be training, there'd be huge dogs, not chasing him, trying to attack him, they would jump up and try to rip him off his bike, so he'd pull out his hand pump, slam em across the snout once, then they'd never try to attack again. He wouldn't hurt the dogs, he just hit them hard enough to scare em up a little.
Same thing happened to me in the 80's. Ruined a perfectly good frame pump. At the time, though, I was trying to kill the dog as hitting him just hard enough to try to scare him only made him madder. I was finally helped by a passing motorist who shot the dog. It may have been rabid but I wasn't intrested enough to pay to have it tested since it did not bite me.

jhuskey said:
I have been chased by those dogs as well. I would usually throw them a bone. A bone being a friend a lot more desperate than I.
A diversionary tactic.
"If you lay down with dogs you wake up with a hangover and a desire to poke out both eyes."

Huskey,

I have to hand it to you, you think of every thing. One question though; Are your desperate friends still desperate after the irate husbands are finished with them?

And when the police woman arrives at their home in a Police car to take them into "custody"; What do their neighbours think?

I am well versed in the dingo syndrome, (probably called the coyote syndrome in the US).

That is, the syndrome where you wake up all cuddled up, with your head on the same pillow, realise how much your bedmate has deteriorated aesthetically with several hours sleep and so that like a trapped animal you seriously consider chewing your arm off so that you can escape quietly without disturbing the other party.

BTW, the police woman had something about hancuffs.

Kind regards,

kdelong said:
Same thing happened to me in the 80's. Ruined a perfectly good frame pump. At the time, though, I was trying to kill the dog as hitting him just hard enough to try to scare him only made him madder. I was finally helped by a passing motorist who shot the dog. It may have been rabid but I wasn't intrested enough to pay to have it tested since it did not bite me.

KdeL,

You omitted to say that the lead cured it from chasing cyclists. So in a sense it was just as effective as clobbering it with the Zeffel.

Kind regards,

James Bruce Gil said:
KdeL,

You omitted to say that the lead cured it from chasing cyclists. So in a sense it was just as effective as clobbering it with the Zeffel.

Kind regards,
Yea, I can't say that I ever saw it again!