Anyone going to the Champs Elysees on Sunday?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Keith, Jul 26, 2003.

  1. Keith

    Keith Guest

    ...and more importantly, does anyone have tips on getting a good spot? I was at a party on the
    Champs (as we call them in France) in 1992 and must say I didn't get to see much, Robert, I think
    you're 8th floor appartment is going to come in handy ;-)

    Tags:

  2. Trg

    Trg Guest

    The trick is not to go to the Champs. I always stand at the opposite end- at the turn where they go
    into the tunnel. They have to slow down there, so you get to see them a bit more. Plus it's the spot
    closest to my apartment- 5 minute walk home :)

    Try to stand on the Tuilerie garden side- less people, plus you're elevated, although you have to
    get there a little earlier to get across.

    "Keith" <[email protected]> a √©crit dans le message de
    news:[email protected]...
    > ...and more importantly, does anyone have tips on getting a good spot? I was at a party on the
    > Champs (as we call them in France) in 1992 and must say I didn't get to see much, Robert, I think
    > you're 8th floor appartment is going to come in handy ;-)

    ---

  3. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Keith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > ...and more importantly, does anyone have tips on getting a good spot? I was at a party on the
    > Champs (as we call them in France) in 1992 and must say I didn't get to see much, Robert, I think
    > you're 8th floor appartment is going to come in handy ;-)

    Well, it might be if the route came down our street, but it doesn't. That's both a good thing and a
    bad thing.

    If you can't afford a streetside suite at the George V, I've been advised by friends to bring a
    folding stepstool and to hang out near the shady end toward the Place de la Concorde. This means you
    don't have to hang out there all day because you can saunter up when the peloton hits Paris and
    still see even if you're 5 people back from the barricades.

    You been riding in Vincennes or at Longchamps?

  4. Keith

    Keith Guest

    >Well, it might be if the route came down our street, but it doesn't. That's both a good thing and a
    >bad thing.

    right ;-)

    >If you can't afford a streetside suite at the George V, I've been advised by friends to bring a
    >folding stepstool and to hang out near the shady end toward the Place de la Concorde. This means
    >you don't have to hang out there all day because you can saunter up when the peloton hits Paris and
    >still see even if you're 5 people back from the barricades.

    Not sure where I see where that is. Do you have an intersection? Would that be towards the Tuileries
    Metro station? Wonder it it's open?

    >You been riding in Vincennes or at Longchamps?

    Darn, I was hoping you had forgotten ;-) I haven't been able to do anything than ride my MTB
    recently alongside the warn with the kid in the stroller.

  5. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Keith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >If you can't afford a streetside suite at the George V, I've been advised
    by
    > >friends to bring a folding stepstool and to hang out near the shady end toward the Place de la
    > >Concorde. This means you don't have to hang out
    there
    > >all day because you can saunter up when the peloton hits Paris and still
    see
    > >even if you're 5 people back from the barricades.
    >
    > Not sure where I see where that is. Do you have an intersection? Would that be towards the
    > Tuileries Metro station? Wonder it it's open?

    Baja Champs Elysees, from about Metro FDR down to Concorde, is shadier than the upper part (though
    shade from the hot sun doesn't seem like it will be a problem tomorrow). trg's recommendation about
    the tunnel sounds reasonable, too.