Anyone Going to the Road Nats?

Catabolic_Jones

May 5, 2005
I'll be competing at the Sooke Classic/Bastion Sq. Crit, but I'll probably leave the road nationals out for a couple of years. Should be a great race, though. Anyone familiar with the course? Being Kamloops, I'm sure it'll be hilly and hot! :eek:

No, I'm not going. I'd only be interested in the crit if it was an official national championships but it is not. It is just a meaningless race in between two other official ones.

Frankly, as it is now, I don't know why anybody would ride it or sponsor it.

Eddie Arzouian said:
No, I'm not going. I'd only be interested in the crit if it was an official national championships but it is not. It is just a meaningless race in between two other official ones.

Frankly, as it is now, I don't know why anybody would ride it or sponsor it.
OMG are you negative. The course at Kamloops is awesome! It's downtown, lots of spectators and really really tough. It was amazing last year and I can't wait to go again just to watch after my son's race. Hey lighten up and enjoy the road race, it's great!

Shapiro said:
OMG are you negative. The course at Kamloops is awesome! It's downtown, lots of spectators and really really tough. It was amazing last year and I can't wait to go again just to watch after my son's race. Hey lighten up and enjoy the road race, it's great!

The races in Kamloops are great and the organizers do a good job. Well worth going to.

sub55 said:
The races in Kamloops are great and the organizers do a good job. Well worth going to.
May be a great race but why is not an official championship?

You have an official TT championship.

You have an official road race.

No crit, the best marketed event in North American cycling.

The US has official national crit championships.

Why not Canada?

They are doing the event anyway. It isn't like it is more trouble. All they have to do is make it official and get a few more jerseys.

Ridiculous.

Just one more example of how the CCA fails to properly market the sport.

And then they wonder why they cannot get more sponsors.

Media, spectators and sponsors love the crits.

Use them to their fullest.

It is a no-brainer.

Eddie Arzouian said:
May be a great race but why is not an official championship?

You have an official TT championship.

You have an official road race.

No crit, the best marketed event in North American cycling.

The US has official national crit championships.

Why not Canada?

They are doing the event anyway. It isn't like it is more trouble. All they have to do is make it official and get a few more jerseys.

Ridiculous.

Just one more example of how the CCA fails to properly market the sport.

And then they wonder why they cannot get more sponsors.

Media, spectators and sponsors love the crits.

Use them to their fullest.

It is a no-brainer.
The Americans have their crit championship at a different locale then the RR and TT (i mean the amateur/elites, of course the USPRO champs is in phillyeach year). Besides, it's not an official UCI championship, that's why. Sort of like England not having their national hill climb championships anymore, it's not UCI recognized.

Anyway, that's enough about it. I think it will be great and kudos to Henry P for an AMAZING race!

Hmmm...sounds like quite the event. Next year maybe!

Good luck to all who participate.

And to those who can only detract, why not get involved? Cynicism and sh** talking is so easy.

Just my 2 bits...

Catabolic_Jones said:
Hmmm...sounds like quite the event. Next year maybe!

And to those who can only detract, why not get involved? Cynicism and sh** talking is so easy.

Just my 2 bits...
Dear Mr. Catatonic,

I have been "involved" for 33 years. At the height of my involvement, when Canadian cycling was at its best, we had Official Crit Championships.

As for those looking to the UCI to explain why we have no Crit Championships, I ask what has the UCI ever done for Canada that we have not paid for?

We gave them $3.5 millon of our tax dollars for th 2003 Worlds. We give them money for every World Cup, road or MTB. What has the UCI ever done for Canada???

As for Mr. Catatonic's two cents, given the way the sport is run in this country, two cents is about all they are getting these days.

The Criterium is a Domestic National Championship Title
According the CDN National Road Championship web site (http://www.canadiancycling.ca/roadn...einfo_day2.html), "The Criterium (being held in Kamloops, BC July 8, 2005) is a Domestic National Championship Title"

Does that mean it has full status, an official jersey, etc?

If so, congratulations, it is about time.

Common sense prevails....finally!

No need to thank me for my persistent effort over the last two years to get this change.

I'll tell you what, how about if I donate a tin cup? We can call it The Arzouian Cup and award it every year like Lord Stanley's.

Better than Stanley's Cup, though, I suggest the Canadian Cycling Association take The Arzouian Cup and display it on a corner on Bay Street and ask for donations.

Maybe CCA President Bill Kinash of Regina can get a little monkey and grinding organ. That can be his new marketing plan. It would be more effective than anything he has done in the last three season. Oh wait, of course it would have to be because there has been no marketing for the last three years, none at all.

You should have listened to me earlier, Bill, your time is running out, thank God. I told you I would send you back to your dustbowl.