Anyone had experience of claiming for bike damage?

Dexter49

Oct 10, 2014
I was involved in a collision 3 weeks ago and my bike was damaged. Luckily I was just bruised and they have just about faded now. I have contacted the driver's insurance to ask about claiming for the damage to my bike, but they seem to be taking a long time Does anyone have any advice? It is not really financially viable to repair the bike so I have bought a new one, and want to claim for this and a new helmet (I can't be certain whether I hit my head as I flipped over.

I have never made a bike claim but dealing with insurance claims is part of my job. Insurance companies are not in any hurry to settle and it is unlikely the claims adjuster will have any knowledge of bike values. They are well versed in auto repair values and personal injuries claims but generally not bikes. I am assuming you are saying the bike was totaled and you will need new helmet. No manufacturer would indemnify a helmet that has had an impact. The insurance company will also want to only pay ACV (actual cash value) for the bike as opposed to replacement cost, unless it was brand new bike.
Attorneys are not cheap and unless you want to file in sessions court and handle it yourself I advise you do some creative posturing and state that your helmet was damaged and you may have a possible concussion. Funny thing about concussions, they are sometime hard to diagnose. If you are stubborn enough you will be fortunate to break even at best. I would imagine they may want to settle quickly before you develop health issues due to that possible head injury.
Good luck and stand strong.

BTW: Your signature appears to be a bit spamish which is not allowed .

Was hit by another rider some years ago. One of the very rare days when I took my MTB to work. He cut through a curve, got over to the wrong side of the road and hit me. Bent my fork. Didn't want to pay. I contacted my home insurance. Had a funny conversation: They - what's the price-when-new for the bike? Me - it's a custom, no official price available. I can give you the price-per-part if you wish? They - er, no. Is the current value of the bike such that it is worth to repair? Me - yes. They - what would the repair cost? Me - new fork, $500 They - the deductible is $200, so we'll send you $300, OK? Me - OK!

I have dealt with various insurance companies maybe a half dozen times over the last 44 years of riding and only once did I need to get a lawyer on their ass to quickly settle a claim.

Document EVERYTHING! Time off work, doctor's appointments. Pictures of damage to bike and body. Receipts and costs. Conversations with agents and adjustors.

Be polite, but firm with your claim. If it was not your fault they will still try to lowball you in some cases. Good luck!