Anyone had much experience with Jamis frames?

Michael Halliwell

Guest
Hey gang....

After seeing a few too many double boingers and DH'ers go flying over
stuff on the trails that slows me up on my HT (a little hard on the butt
and legs, if you get my drift), I'm finally starting to consider
switching over to full suspension.

My preferred LBS has some Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0's in stock and I'm told
that, although heavy as an XC race bike and not as beefy as a typical DH
bike, it can dabble in both if I'm ever tempted to try as my style
advances from adventure commuter and recreational trail rider.

Anyone had any experiences with Jamis, this frame in particular or have
any suggestions for other bikes I should look at in full suspension,
it'd be greatly appreciated. I'd like to stay somewhere in the
$1250-$1750 US range if I can, though I may be able to do up to $2000 US.

I'm 6', 230lb, built like a wall and presently commute on gravel trails
and single track. My skills have been coming up a lot in the last year
and I'm starting to look at more serious/technical trails and the lesser
travelled paths (more into lighter DH territory without big air) into
our local river valley.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

Psycho Mike

"Michael Halliwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hey gang....
>
> After seeing a few too many double boingers and DH'ers go flying over
> stuff on the trails that slows me up on my HT (a little hard on the butt
> and legs, if you get my drift), I'm finally starting to consider switching
> over to full suspension.
>
> My preferred LBS has some Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0's in stock and I'm told
> that, although heavy as an XC race bike and not as beefy as a typical DH
> bike, it can dabble in both if I'm ever tempted to try as my style
> advances from adventure commuter and recreational trail rider.
>
> Anyone had any experiences with Jamis, this frame in particular or have
> any suggestions for other bikes I should look at in full suspension, it'd
> be greatly appreciated. I'd like to stay somewhere in the $1250-$1750 US
> range if I can, though I may be able to do up to $2000 US.
>
> I'm 6', 230lb, built like a wall and presently commute on gravel trails
> and single track. My skills have been coming up a lot in the last year
> and I'm starting to look at more serious/technical trails and the lesser
> travelled paths (more into lighter DH territory without big air) into our
> local river valley.
>
> Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
>
> Psycho Mike

I have a Jamis Dakar XC. I'm 6'1 and 215lb on good days. It works fine for
me.

Michael Halliwell wrote:
<snip>

> Anyone had any experiences with Jamis, this frame in particular or have
> any suggestions for other bikes I should look at in full suspension,
> it'd be greatly appreciated. I'd like to stay somewhere in the
> $1250-$1750 US range if I can, though I may be able to do up to $2000 US.

No direct experience with Jamis, but...

The low end of your price range is pretty low for a new FS bike. It's
likely to have some significant compromises to meet that price point.
At the higher end I think you can find some reasonable bikes. I've
always had good luck with Specialized bikes so I'd recommend something
like a Stumpjumper FSR. At least ride one to have something to compare
to. If you can find any of last year's stock you could probably get a
little closer to your lower prices.

Matt

MattB wrote:
> Michael Halliwell wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> Anyone had any experiences with Jamis, this frame in particular or
>> have any suggestions for other bikes I should look at in full
>> suspension, it'd be greatly appreciated. I'd like to stay somewhere
>> in the $1250-$1750 US range if I can, though I may be able to do up
>> to $2000 US.

> No direct experience with Jamis, but...
>
> The low end of your price range is pretty low for a new FS bike. It's
> likely to have some significant compromises to meet that price point.
> At the higher end I think you can find some reasonable bikes. I've
> always had good luck with Specialized bikes so I'd recommend something
> like a Stumpjumper FSR. At least ride one to have something to compare
> to. If you can find any of last year's stock you could probably get a
> little closer to your lower prices.

We have 2004 Stumpjumper FSR *Comps* some of which have Fox Float forks for
~$1400. E-mail me off-list if you're interested.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
> MattB wrote:

> We have 2004 Stumpjumper FSR *Comps* some of which have Fox Float forks
> for ~$1400. E-mail me off-list if you're interested.

Is this a shop selling ?.

I just paid $1250, came out to $1350 w/ tax , plus a free Manitou shock
pump. Local shop, also a new 2004 Stumpy FSR Comp. I believe $1400 was
list, and I would hesitate paying list on a 2 year old bike.

SB

Google "Jamis" and "TBF" in this newsgroup, it's pretty funny.

JD

Steve B. wrote:
> "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message
>> MattB wrote:

>> We have 2004 Stumpjumper FSR *Comps* some of which have Fox Float
>> forks for ~$1400. E-mail me off-list if you're interested.

> Is this a shop selling ?.

I work at a shop, yes.

> I just paid $1250, came out to $1350 w/ tax , plus a free Manitou
> shock pump. Local shop, also a new 2004 Stumpy FSR Comp. I believe
> $1400 was list, and I would hesitate paying list on a 2 year old bike.

Hey wow, congrats on the purchase! If you paid that little for that bike,
buy as many bikes that you can from that LBS and resell them yourself!!!
They're selling those bikes for *LESS* than they paid for them. Unless
they're gouging on the accessories or selling service plans, they're going
to be gone real soon.

Keep in mind however, that for that year, the FSRxc Comp MSRP (with the
crappy shock and mid-range components) was $1400, whereas the FSR Comp (Fox
shocks front and rear, XTR, Avid) was $2000. I don't know if you're talking
about the FSRxc or the FSR, but if you're talking about the FSRxc, you could
have had one for ~$950 from us. But I digress... the "real" FSR Comp is
$2000 MSRP, and a $600 discount is not shabby, IMO.

OP, I also recommend buying from that LBS if you can swing that kind of a
deal.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

> Keep in mind however, that for that year, the FSRxc Comp MSRP (with the
> crappy shock and mid-range components) was $1400, whereas the FSR Comp (Fox
> shocks front and rear, XTR, Avid) was $2000. I don't know if you're talking
> about the FSRxc or the FSR, but if you're talking about the FSRxc, you could
> have had one for ~$950 from us. But I digress... the "real" FSR Comp is
> $2000 MSRP, and a $600 discount is not shabby, IMO.
>
> OP, I also recommend buying from that LBS if you can swing that kind of a
> deal.

Don't know if it's still the case since I haven't looked at Special Eds
in over 8 years. But in the past they seemed to oversupply most years
and Alan Goldsmith at Stupergo would snap them up and blow them out at
ridiculous prices. Kind of turned me off of Specialized to see someone
pay $1900 at the beginning of the season and another person pay only
$1050 at the end of the season.

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

MattB wrote:
> Michael Halliwell wrote:
> <snip>
>

>> Anyone had any experiences with Jamis, this frame in particular or
>> have any suggestions for other bikes I should look at in full
>> suspension, it'd be greatly appreciated. I'd like to stay somewhere
>> in the $1250-$1750 US range if I can, though I may be able to do up to
>> $2000 US.
>>

> No direct experience with Jamis, but...
>
> The low end of your price range is pretty low for a new FS bike. It's
> likely to have some significant compromises to meet that price point.
> At the higher end I think you can find some reasonable bikes. I've
> always had good luck with Specialized bikes so I'd recommend something
> like a Stumpjumper FSR. At least ride one to have something to compare
> to. If you can find any of last year's stock you could probably get a
> little closer to your lower prices.
>
> Matt

Yeah, I might be off with the price points....I'm going from Cdn price
points and $ CDN trying to convert to $US and have no idea about how the
US price points come out.

To put it in better perspecive, I guess I could say that I'm in the
price range of a Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 (which is at the same price point
here as the plain XLT was last year) or a lower end Gary Fisher Cake.

Hope that helps a bit,

Psycho Mike

Marty wrote:
> "Michael Halliwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>Hey gang....
>>
>>After seeing a few too many double boingers and DH'ers go flying over
>>stuff on the trails that slows me up on my HT (a little hard on the butt
>>and legs, if you get my drift), I'm finally starting to consider switching
>>over to full suspension.
>>
>>My preferred LBS has some Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0's in stock and I'm told
>>that, although heavy as an XC race bike and not as beefy as a typical DH
>>bike, it can dabble in both if I'm ever tempted to try as my style
>>advances from adventure commuter and recreational trail rider.
>>
>>Anyone had any experiences with Jamis, this frame in particular or have
>>any suggestions for other bikes I should look at in full suspension, it'd
>>be greatly appreciated. I'd like to stay somewhere in the $1250-$1750 US
>>range if I can, though I may be able to do up to $2000 US.
>>
>>I'm 6', 230lb, built like a wall and presently commute on gravel trails
>>and single track. My skills have been coming up a lot in the last year
>>and I'm starting to look at more serious/technical trails and the lesser
>>travelled paths (more into lighter DH territory without big air) into our
>>local river valley.
>>
>>Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
>>
>>Psycho Mike

> I have a Jamis Dakar XC. I'm 6'1 and 215lb on good days. It works fine for
> me.

What year is your XC and what sort of riding do you do? The XC Comp
fits in my price range as well... Not as much travel as he XLT, but
better specs on other components and lighter weight if I decide I want
to dabble in a race or two.

> Marty wrote:
>> "Michael Halliwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hey gang....
>>>
>>>After seeing a few too many double boingers and DH'ers go flying over
>>>stuff on the trails that slows me up on my HT (a little hard on the butt
>>>and legs, if you get my drift), I'm finally starting to consider
>>>switching over to full suspension.
>>>
>>>My preferred LBS has some Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0's in stock and I'm told
>>>that, although heavy as an XC race bike and not as beefy as a typical DH
>>>bike, it can dabble in both if I'm ever tempted to try as my style
>>>advances from adventure commuter and recreational trail rider.
>>>
>>>Anyone had any experiences with Jamis, this frame in particular or have
>>>any suggestions for other bikes I should look at in full suspension, it'd
>>>be greatly appreciated. I'd like to stay somewhere in the $1250-$1750 US
>>>range if I can, though I may be able to do up to $2000 US.
>>>
>>>I'm 6', 230lb, built like a wall and presently commute on gravel trails
>>>and single track. My skills have been coming up a lot in the last year
>>>and I'm starting to look at more serious/technical trails and the lesser
>>>travelled paths (more into lighter DH territory without big air) into our
>>>local river valley.
>>>
>>>Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
>>>
>>>Psycho Mike

>> I have a Jamis Dakar XC. I'm 6'1 and 215lb on good days. It works fine
>> for me.
>>

> What year is your XC and what sort of riding do you do? The XC Comp fits
> in my price range as well... Not as much travel as he XLT, but better
> specs on other components and lighter weight if I decide I want to dabble
> in a race or two.
>
> Psycho Mike

I bought my Jamis in 2003. I ride XC.

Marty

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <

> Hey wow, congrats on the purchase! If you paid that little for that bike,
> buy as many bikes that you can from that LBS and resell them yourself!!!
> They're selling those bikes for *LESS* than they paid for them. Unless
> they're gouging on the accessories or selling service plans, they're going
> to be gone real soon.
>
> Keep in mind however, that for that year, the FSRxc Comp MSRP (with the
> crappy shock and mid-range components) was $1400, whereas the FSR Comp
> (Fox shocks front and rear, XTR, Avid) was $2000. I don't know if you're
> talking about the FSRxc or the FSR, but if you're talking about the FSRxc,
> you could have had one for ~$950 from us. But I digress... the "real" FSR
> Comp is $2000 MSRP, and a $600 discount is not shabby, IMO.
>
> OP, I also recommend buying from that LBS if you can swing that kind of a
> deal.

My Specialized says Stumpjumper Pro (M4) on the frame, but seemingly is
equipped as per the Specialized website for the 2004 Stumpjumper FSR Comp
(The tag said Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, which I don't think is
correct). The fork is a Fox Float 100 RL, the R shock is a Fox Float RLC
with ProPedal (the shock were the selling point). The shifters and F
derailer is LX, R derailer is XTR. Brakes/Levers are Avid 5R V brakes.
Crank is Specialized Strongarm 100, headset says Aheadset SP2. Wheels are
Mavic 225's, R hub is a Shimano, F is a Specialized. Bar, Stem, Post,
Saddle are all Specialized.

Did I pay under shop cost. Perhaps, as it was a 2004 and they may have
wanted to move it off the floor. The sale price was $1299, I talked the
salesman down $50. This is a very large shop, where I'm known and do a fair
amount of business and is a shop that is very well respected in the area,
was listed a few years ago as one of the best shops in the Bicycling
magazine review of LBS's. Seemingly not about to go out of business, as
they most likely make a good living on fitness equipment. Not the first
time I've seen a good deal here, maybe they sell enough to get a better deal
from the manufacturers, thus can sell at lower margin, or can blow out as
necessary.

So maybe I got a better deal then one might find elsewhere. Who knows,
maybe your $1400 is more in the ballpark.

SB

Steve B. wrote:
> "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <
>>
>> Hey wow, congrats on the purchase! If you paid that little for that
>> bike, buy as many bikes that you can from that LBS and resell them
>> yourself!!! They're selling those bikes for *LESS* than they paid
>> for them. Unless they're gouging on the accessories or selling
>> service plans, they're going to be gone real soon.
>>
>> Keep in mind however, that for that year, the FSRxc Comp MSRP (with
>> the crappy shock and mid-range components) was $1400, whereas the
>> FSR Comp (Fox shocks front and rear, XTR, Avid) was $2000. I don't
>> know if you're talking about the FSRxc or the FSR, but if you're
>> talking about the FSRxc, you could have had one for ~$950 from us. But I
>> digress... the "real" FSR Comp is $2000 MSRP, and a $600
>> discount is not shabby, IMO. OP, I also recommend buying from that LBS if
>> you can swing that kind
>> of a deal.

> My Specialized says Stumpjumper Pro (M4) on the frame, but seemingly
> is equipped as per the Specialized website for the 2004 Stumpjumper
> FSR Comp (The tag said Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, which I don't
> think is correct). The fork is a Fox Float 100 RL, the R shock is a
> Fox Float RLC with ProPedal (the shock were the selling point). The
> shifters and F derailer is LX, R derailer is XTR. Brakes/Levers are
> Avid 5R V brakes. Crank is Specialized Strongarm 100, headset says
> Aheadset SP2. Wheels are Mavic 225's, R hub is a Shimano, F is a
> Specialized. Bar, Stem, Post, Saddle are all Specialized.
>
> Did I pay under shop cost. Perhaps, as it was a 2004 and they may
> have wanted to move it off the floor. The sale price was $1299, I
> talked the salesman down $50. This is a very large shop, where I'm

There we go. That's the key: it's a large shop. They probably do enough
business for a little loss here and there to fall into the noise.

> known and do a fair amount of business and is a shop that is very
> well respected in the area, was listed a few years ago as one of the
> best shops in the Bicycling magazine review of LBS's. Seemingly not
> about to go out of business, as they most likely make a good living
> on fitness equipment. Not the first time I've seen a good deal here,
> maybe they sell enough to get a better deal from the manufacturers,
> thus can sell at lower margin, or can blow out as necessary.

Take advantage of that! You're in good hands over there.

> So maybe I got a better deal then one might find elsewhere. Who
> knows, maybe your $1400 is more in the ballpark.

We run a ~600 sq-ft bike shop. About 200 sq feet are for repair stands and
inventory, and there is a lot of "excuse me, let me get by" going on at our
place. We're physically and fiscally a small shop. Congrats again.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

From: [email protected] (JD)
Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike
Subject: Re: RR/JRA
Date: 12 Apr 2004 00:40:11 -0700

news:<[email protected]>....

From: TBF ([email protected])
Subject: Re: Opinions for the noob
Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike
Date: 2004-03-14 11:39:04 PST
"Jamis makes rock solid rigs without the costs of other high end
manufacters."

Please define "rock solid". The catastrophic failure of that swingarm
tells a different story.

From: ..::TBF::.. ([email protected])
Subject: Re: What To Buy? Jamis XLT, Specialized Enduro, nothing?
Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike
Date: 2003-05-19 03:19:12 PST
"The tell your friend to get his Jamis built up properly. I've been
riding mine for months now and it's tight and fast..."

...and broken.

From: ..::TBF::.. ([email protected])
Subject: RR: Riding in the rain
Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike
Date: 2003-04-18 19:56:17 PST
"The linkages on the Jamis are starting to loosen up finally, so the
ride is smooth but without any "bobbing" for a change."

Looks like the linkages are not the issue, but shoddy
materials/workmanship. Funny how you had a spare swingarm laying
around for your "rock solid" bike.

From: ..::TBF::.. ([email protected])
Subject: Re: Gary Fisher Sugar 4 or Trek Fuel 80?
Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike
Date: 2003-04-13 17:41:06 PST
"GF between the two, but I would get a Jamis dakar for $750 and spend
the rest of the cash on gear"

Great advice for someone who wants a broken bike.

From: ..::TBF::.. ([email protected])
Subject: Re: Custom Jamis Dakar or Diamondback from LBS?
Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike
Date: 2003-04-01 17:43:22 PST
"Jamis is the better deal and the 15" may fit you but you should try
one on
for size first. I have the Dakar Comp and it rocks!"

Yeah, it "rocks" alright, rocks to pieces.

From: ..::TBF::.. ([email protected])
Subject: Re: Entry level FS XC bike recommendation?
Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike
Date: 2003-03-27 14:21:38 PST
"Jamis Dakar"

Blind brand loyalty is a funny thing.

From: ..::TBF::.. ([email protected])
Subject: Re: Ellsworth Truth versus Santa Cruz Blur
Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike
Date: 2003-03-23 07:23:23 PST
"Jamis Dakar Comp XC or Expert"

Hmmm, someone asks about smellsworthless and santa crud and you go one
lower. How entertaining.

From: TBF ([email protected])
Subject: Re: BR: Built up my Jamis Dakar Comp Frame
Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike
Date: 2003-01-28 04:34:01 PST
"I happen to have ridden a number of other Jamis bikes over the years,
the Comp is just a new experience, and i can tell you, they are far
from crappy, otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my cash on it."

So far from crappy that they break often enough to keep a spare
swingarm around?

You're a riot.

JD

Google it, using "TBF" and "Jamis" in this newsgroup. It's pretty
funny.

JD

JD wrote:
> Google it, using "TBF" and "Jamis" in this newsgroup. It's pretty
> funny.
>
> JD

Interesting, but not current which means it may or may not be relevant.
A lot can change in 3-4 model years, especially if a problem is
discovered.

Them main reasons the Jamis caught my eye are a) the LBS with a solid
rep for being into the more technical/demanding riding carries and
services them, b) they've had good reviews (best pick in some cases) in
the mtb mags and c) they are within the price range that I'm looking at.

Any current info on the Jamis or other bike recommendations, JD?

Psycho Mike

JD wrote:
> [...]

> Date: 2003-03-27 14:21:38 PST
> "Jamis Dakar"
>
> Blind brand loyalty is a funny thing.
>
> From: ..::TBF::.. ([email protected])
> Subject: Re: Ellsworth Truth versus Santa Cruz Blur
> Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike
> Date: 2003-03-23 07:23:23 PST
> "Jamis Dakar Comp XC or Expert"
>
> Hmmm, someone asks about smellsworthless and santa crud and you go one
> lower. How entertaining.
>
> From: TBF ([email protected])
> Subject: Re: BR: Built up my Jamis Dakar Comp Frame
> Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike
> Date: 2003-01-28 04:34:01 PST
> "I happen to have ridden a number of other Jamis bikes over the years,
> the Comp is just a new experience, and i can tell you, they are far
> from crappy, otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my cash on it."
>
> So far from crappy that they break often enough to keep a spare

Yes, JD....I read it...

As I said, interesting but may or may not be relevant. A thread started
in 2003/2004 and the bike in question was a season old (2002 or 2003)
which makes 3-4 model years from current (2006).

I'll ask again, any current info or other suggestions....we know
Ellsworth, Cannondale, Jamis and a bunch of others are on your "****"
list...so what brand ain't ****?

Thanks,

Psycho Mike

Shaun aRe wrote:
> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Google "Jamis" and "TBF" in this newsgroup, it's pretty funny.
> >
> > JD

> Nowhere near funny enough for three identical posts mate.

Google was hiccupping last week.

JD