Anyone have a Carrera?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Pagemaster, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. Pagemaster

    Pagemaster Guest

    I'm looking at getting a Kraken, (not sure if it's SE.) Thing is, i'd like to know if anyone has
    got/had a Carrera and what they thought about it. The one i'm looking at is about £330, (that's
    about my limit i'm afraid.) Any comments welcome,

    Daz.

    --
    Where you're going, you're not coming back from.

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Pagemaster wrote:
    > I'm looking at getting a Kraken, (not sure if it's SE.) Thing is, i'd like to know if anyone has
    > got/had a Carrera and what they thought about it. The one i'm looking at is about £330, (that's
    > about my limit i'm afraid.) Any comments welcome,

    I used to sell them. Is it new, if not, how old is it?

  3. Pagemaster

    Pagemaster Guest

    "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Pagemaster wrote:
    > > I'm looking at getting a Kraken, (not sure if it's SE.) Thing is, i'd
    like
    > > to know if anyone has got/had a Carrera and what they thought about it.
    The
    > > one i'm looking at is about £330, (that's about my limit i'm afraid.)
    Any
    > > comments welcome,
    >
    > I used to sell them. Is it new, if not, how old is it?

    I forgot to put down details, but i've got a feeling it's 03 model, might be wrong. I'm purchasing
    it from Halfords, (if that's any use for you.)

  4. Gazzer

    Gazzer Guest

    "Pagemaster" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    > > Pagemaster wrote:
    > > > I'm looking at getting a Kraken, (not sure if it's SE.) Thing is, i'd
    > like
    > > > to know if anyone has got/had a Carrera and what they thought about it.
    > The
    > > > one i'm looking at is about £330, (that's about my limit i'm afraid.)
    > Any
    > > > comments welcome,
    > >
    > > I used to sell them. Is it new, if not, how old is it?
    > >
    > I forgot to put down details, but i've got a feeling it's 03 model, might be wrong. I'm purchasing
    > it from Halfords, (if that's any use for you.)

    Get a knowledgable friend to help you buy a second hand bike.

    cheers

    gaz

  5. Pagemaster

    Pagemaster Guest

    "gazzer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Pagemaster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > berlin.de...
    > > like
    > > The
    > > Any
    > > >
    > > > I used to sell them. Is it new, if not, how old is it?
    > > >
    > > I forgot to put down details, but i've got a feeling it's 03 model,
    might be
    > > wrong. I'm purchasing it from Halfords, (if that's any use for you.)
    >
    > Get a knowledgable friend to help you buy a second hand bike.
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > gaz

    Looking for comments on Carreras, I'd like to get a new bike as the last one i've had for a long
    time, but it's just not up to my current tasks.

  6. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Pagemaster wrote:

    >>I used to sell them. Is it new, if not, how old is it?
    >>

    > I forgot to put down details, but i've got a feeling it's 03 model, might be wrong. I'm purchasing
    > it from Halfords, (if that's any use for you.)

    Yeah, you'd only be able to get it from Halfords because it's their own (performance) brand. Don't
    know anything about the recent Krakens, but as some general advice on Carreras, they tend to be
    typified by average frames adorned with nice bits. In a head to head with someone who knows a
    little, they tend to come out ahead because of nicer parts, but there are usually better bikes out
    there for the money. The Kraken isn't on the Halfords site, so what's your budget?

    If you're contemplating buying a bike at Halfords, always check out the staff. The level of
    competence varies wildly from store to store, so try and find one with enthusiastic bikers who know
    what they're talking about.

  7. Pagemaster

    Pagemaster Guest

    "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Pagemaster wrote:
    >
    > >>I used to sell them. Is it new, if not, how old is it?
    > >>

    > > I forgot to put down details, but i've got a feeling it's 03 model,
    might be
    > > wrong. I'm purchasing it from Halfords, (if that's any use for you.)
    >
    > Yeah, you'd only be able to get it from Halfords because it's their own (performance) brand. Don't
    > know anything about the recent Krakens, but as some general advice on Carreras, they tend to be
    > typified by average frames adorned with nice bits. In a head to head with someone who knows a
    > little, they tend to come out ahead because of nicer parts, but there are usually better bikes out
    > there for the money. The Kraken isn't on the Halfords site, so what's your budget?
    >
    > If you're contemplating buying a bike at Halfords, always check out the staff. The level of
    > competence varies wildly from store to store, so try and find one with enthusiastic bikers who
    > know what they're talking about.

    I've set my limit at £330. I know a fair bit about bikes, but i'm not exactly your performance
    cyclist, so i'm just looking for something nice that'll last. And yes, I will ask the staff for
    their opinions. Cheers. :)

  8. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Pagemaster wrote:

    > I've set my limit at £330. I know a fair bit about bikes, but i'm not exactly your performance
    > cyclist, so i'm just looking for something nice that'll last.

    Have a look around. For example, Evans have a '03 Trek 4500 for 330. The '04 GT Avalanche is 300, as
    is the Kona LanaI, the Specialized Hardrock Sport and the Trek 4500.

  9. Pagemaster

    Pagemaster Guest

    "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Pagemaster wrote:
    >
    > > I've set my limit at £330. I know a fair bit about bikes, but i'm not exactly your performance
    > > cyclist, so i'm just looking for something nice that'll last.
    >
    > Have a look around. For example, Evans have a '03 Trek 4500 for 330. The '04 GT Avalanche is 300,
    > as is the Kona LanaI, the Specialized Hardrock Sport and the Trek 4500.

    Unfortunately where I am, good bike shops are hard to find.

  10. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Pagemaster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    > > Pagemaster wrote:
    > >
    > > > I've set my limit at £330. I know a fair bit about bikes, but i'm not exactly your performance
    > > > cyclist, so i'm just looking for something
    nice
    > > > that'll last.
    > >
    > > Have a look around. For example, Evans have a '03 Trek 4500 for 330. The '04 GT Avalanche is
    > > 300, as is the Kona LanaI, the Specialized Hardrock Sport and the Trek 4500.
    > >
    > Unfortunately where I am, good bike shops are hard to find.

    Halfords are also agents for GT, so you should be able to have a prod of the Avalanche.

    Whereabouts are you anyways?

    Andy Chequer

  11. Pagemaster

    Pagemaster Guest

  12. Neil Ruddock

    Neil Ruddock Guest

    i got a carrera kraken at crimbo, paid £270 reduced from £330 looks good, feels good, great for me
    being a beginner havent heard a bad word about them yet!

    "Pagemaster" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "gazzer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Pagemaster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > > berlin.de...
    > i'd
    > > > like
    > it.
    > > > The
    > afraid.)
    > > > Any

    > > > I forgot to put down details, but i've got a feeling it's 03 model,
    > might be
    > > > wrong. I'm purchasing it from Halfords, (if that's any use for you.)
    > >
    > > Get a knowledgable friend to help you buy a second hand bike.
    > >
    > > cheers
    > >
    > > gaz
    >
    > Looking for comments on Carreras, I'd like to get a new bike as the last
    one
    > i've had for a long time, but it's just not up to my current tasks.

  13. Pagemaster

    Pagemaster Guest

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

    > "Pagemaster" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > berlin.de...

    > nice
    > > >
    > > > Have a look around. For example, Evans have a '03 Trek 4500 for 330. The '04 GT Avalanche is
    > > > 300, as is the Kona LanaI, the Specialized Hardrock Sport and the Trek 4500.
    > > >
    > > Unfortunately where I am, good bike shops are hard to find.
    >
    > Halfords are also agents for GT, so you should be able to have a prod of
    the
    > Avalanche.
    >
    > Whereabouts are you anyways?
    >
    > Andy Chequer

    NI, 14 miles south of Derry. I've only £330 to play with. Tbh, i've only ridden Raleighs so anything
    else is a luxury. :)

  14. On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 20:01:09 -0000, "Pagemaster" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Yes.
    >
    >Lol, any good?

    Yes. It's very, very fast.

    Maintenance (brake pads, rotors, brake fluid, tires) can get to be a bitch though.

  15. Jonesy

    Jonesy Guest

    "Pagemaster" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]-147573.news.uni-
    > berlin.de...
    > > Pagemaster wrote:
    > >
    > > > I've set my limit at £330. I know a fair bit about bikes, but i'm not exactly your performance
    > > > cyclist, so i'm just looking for something nice that'll last.
    > >
    > > Have a look around. For example, Evans have a '03 Trek 4500 for 330. The '04 GT Avalanche is
    > > 300, as is the Kona LanaI, the Specialized Hardrock Sport and the Trek 4500.
    > >
    > Unfortunately where I am, good bike shops are hard to find.

    Pete Fagerlin has a Carrera. It's red, and is the finest in Teutonic engineering. Hell, even
    Ferdinand himself would be impressed.

    Your GBP330 wouldn't be enough to buy a set of brake pads for the thing, I'm afraid.

    :)

    --
    Jonesy

  16. Fred Fragger

    Fred Fragger Guest

    "Pagemaster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking at getting a Kraken, (not sure if it's SE.) Thing is, i'd
    like
    > to know if anyone has got/had a Carrera and what they thought about it.
    The
    > one i'm looking at is about £330, (that's about my limit i'm afraid.) Any comments welcome,
    >
    > Daz.
    >
    > --
    > Where you're going, you're not coming back from.

    I have the Kraken SE and it's a nice bike to ride as far as I'm concerned (but then I'm not an
    expert by any stretch of the imagination). I do a fair bit of mixed road / off-road riding as well
    as all off-road XC all of which it has handled everything pretty well so far and, given that I go 19
    stone +, it must be reasonably well built :)

    I'm in the market for a full suspension mount now but will probably keep the Kraken for lighter use.
    Trouble is I can only run to £1,000 and the more knowledgeable on this group had advised me in the
    past that £1K not enough for a decent full suspension bike.

    Later,

    Fred

  17. Pagemaster

    Pagemaster Guest

    "Fred Fragger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Pagemaster" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm looking at getting a Kraken, (not sure if it's SE.) Thing is, i'd
    > like
    > > to know if anyone has got/had a Carrera and what they thought about it.
    > The
    > > one i'm looking at is about £330, (that's about my limit i'm afraid.)
    Any
    > > comments welcome,
    > >
    > > Daz.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Where you're going, you're not coming back from.
    > >

    > I have the Kraken SE and it's a nice bike to ride as far as I'm concerned (but then I'm not an
    > expert by any stretch of the imagination). I do a
    fair
    > bit of mixed road / off-road riding as well as all off-road XC all of
    which
    > it has handled everything pretty well so far and, given that I go 19 stone +, it must be
    > reasonably well built :)
    >
    > I'm in the market for a full suspension mount now but will probably keep
    the
    > Kraken for lighter use. Trouble is I can only run to £1,000 and the more knowledgeable on this
    > group had advised me in the past that £1K not enough for a decent full suspension bike.
    >
    > Later,
    >
    > Fred

    Thanks Fred. :)

  18. Pagemaster

    Pagemaster Guest

  19. Pagemaster

    Pagemaster Guest

    "neil ruddock" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > i got a carrera kraken at crimbo, paid £270 reduced from £330 looks good, feels good, great for me
    > being a beginner havent heard a bad word about them yet!
    >
    > "Pagemaster" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "gazzer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > "Pagemaster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > i'd
    > about
    > > it.
    > > afraid.)

    > > might be
    > > >
    > > > Get a knowledgable friend to help you buy a second hand bike.
    > > >
    > > > cheers
    > > >
    > > > gaz
    > >
    > > Looking for comments on Carreras, I'd like to get a new bike as the last
    > one
    > > i've had for a long time, but it's just not up to my current tasks.

    Thanks, that's the kinda thing I like to hear.