Anyone have a Carrera?

Pagemaster

Guest
I'm looking at getting a Kraken, (not sure if it's SE.) Thing is, i'd like to know if anyone has
got/had a Carrera and what they thought about it. The one i'm looking at is about £330, (that's
about my limit i'm afraid.) Any comments welcome,

Daz.

--
Where you're going, you're not coming back from.

Pagemaster wrote:
> I'm looking at getting a Kraken, (not sure if it's SE.) Thing is, i'd like to know if anyone has
> got/had a Carrera and what they thought about it. The one i'm looking at is about £330, (that's
> about my limit i'm afraid.) Any comments welcome,

I used to sell them. Is it new, if not, how old is it?

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Pagemaster wrote:
> > I'm looking at getting a Kraken, (not sure if it's SE.) Thing is, i'd
like
> > to know if anyone has got/had a Carrera and what they thought about it.
The
> > one i'm looking at is about £330, (that's about my limit i'm afraid.)
Any
> > comments welcome,
>
> I used to sell them. Is it new, if not, how old is it?

I forgot to put down details, but i've got a feeling it's 03 model, might be wrong. I'm purchasing
it from Halfords, (if that's any use for you.)

"Pagemaster" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> > Pagemaster wrote:
> > > I'm looking at getting a Kraken, (not sure if it's SE.) Thing is, i'd
> like
> > > to know if anyone has got/had a Carrera and what they thought about it.
> The
> > > one i'm looking at is about £330, (that's about my limit i'm afraid.)
> Any
> > > comments welcome,
> >
> > I used to sell them. Is it new, if not, how old is it?
> >
> I forgot to put down details, but i've got a feeling it's 03 model, might be wrong. I'm purchasing
> it from Halfords, (if that's any use for you.)

Get a knowledgable friend to help you buy a second hand bike.

cheers

gaz

"gazzer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Pagemaster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> > berlin.de...
> > like
> > The
> > Any
> > >
> > > I used to sell them. Is it new, if not, how old is it?
> > >
> > I forgot to put down details, but i've got a feeling it's 03 model,
might be
> > wrong. I'm purchasing it from Halfords, (if that's any use for you.)
>
> Get a knowledgable friend to help you buy a second hand bike.
>
> cheers
>
> gaz

Looking for comments on Carreras, I'd like to get a new bike as the last one i've had for a long
time, but it's just not up to my current tasks.

Pagemaster wrote:

>>I used to sell them. Is it new, if not, how old is it?
>>

> I forgot to put down details, but i've got a feeling it's 03 model, might be wrong. I'm purchasing
> it from Halfords, (if that's any use for you.)

Yeah, you'd only be able to get it from Halfords because it's their own (performance) brand. Don't
know anything about the recent Krakens, but as some general advice on Carreras, they tend to be
typified by average frames adorned with nice bits. In a head to head with someone who knows a
little, they tend to come out ahead because of nicer parts, but there are usually better bikes out
there for the money. The Kraken isn't on the Halfords site, so what's your budget?

If you're contemplating buying a bike at Halfords, always check out the staff. The level of
competence varies wildly from store to store, so try and find one with enthusiastic bikers who know
what they're talking about.

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Pagemaster wrote:
>
> >>I used to sell them. Is it new, if not, how old is it?
> >>

> > I forgot to put down details, but i've got a feeling it's 03 model,
might be
> > wrong. I'm purchasing it from Halfords, (if that's any use for you.)
>
> Yeah, you'd only be able to get it from Halfords because it's their own (performance) brand. Don't
> know anything about the recent Krakens, but as some general advice on Carreras, they tend to be
> typified by average frames adorned with nice bits. In a head to head with someone who knows a
> little, they tend to come out ahead because of nicer parts, but there are usually better bikes out
> there for the money. The Kraken isn't on the Halfords site, so what's your budget?
>
> If you're contemplating buying a bike at Halfords, always check out the staff. The level of
> competence varies wildly from store to store, so try and find one with enthusiastic bikers who
> know what they're talking about.

I've set my limit at £330. I know a fair bit about bikes, but i'm not exactly your performance
cyclist, so i'm just looking for something nice that'll last. And yes, I will ask the staff for
their opinions. Cheers. :)

Pagemaster wrote:

> I've set my limit at £330. I know a fair bit about bikes, but i'm not exactly your performance
> cyclist, so i'm just looking for something nice that'll last.

Have a look around. For example, Evans have a '03 Trek 4500 for 330. The '04 GT Avalanche is 300, as
is the Kona LanaI, the Specialized Hardrock Sport and the Trek 4500.

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Pagemaster wrote:
>
> > I've set my limit at £330. I know a fair bit about bikes, but i'm not exactly your performance
> > cyclist, so i'm just looking for something nice that'll last.
>
> Have a look around. For example, Evans have a '03 Trek 4500 for 330. The '04 GT Avalanche is 300,
> as is the Kona LanaI, the Specialized Hardrock Sport and the Trek 4500.

Unfortunately where I am, good bike shops are hard to find.

"Pagemaster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> > Pagemaster wrote:
> >
> > > I've set my limit at £330. I know a fair bit about bikes, but i'm not exactly your performance
> > > cyclist, so i'm just looking for something
nice
> > > that'll last.
> >
> > Have a look around. For example, Evans have a '03 Trek 4500 for 330. The '04 GT Avalanche is
> > 300, as is the Kona LanaI, the Specialized Hardrock Sport and the Trek 4500.
> >
> Unfortunately where I am, good bike shops are hard to find.

Halfords are also agents for GT, so you should be able to have a prod of the Avalanche.

Whereabouts are you anyways?

Andy Chequer

i got a carrera kraken at crimbo, paid £270 reduced from £330 looks good, feels good, great for me
being a beginner havent heard a bad word about them yet!

"Andy Chequer" <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> "Pagemaster" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> > berlin.de...

> nice
> > >
> > > Have a look around. For example, Evans have a '03 Trek 4500 for 330. The '04 GT Avalanche is
> > > 300, as is the Kona LanaI, the Specialized Hardrock Sport and the Trek 4500.
> > >
> > Unfortunately where I am, good bike shops are hard to find.
>
> Halfords are also agents for GT, so you should be able to have a prod of
the
> Avalanche.
>
> Whereabouts are you anyways?
>
> Andy Chequer

NI, 14 miles south of Derry. I've only £330 to play with. Tbh, i've only ridden Raleighs so anything
else is a luxury. :)

"Pagemaster" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> > Pagemaster wrote:
> >
> > > I've set my limit at £330. I know a fair bit about bikes, but i'm not exactly your performance
> > > cyclist, so i'm just looking for something nice that'll last.
> >
> > Have a look around. For example, Evans have a '03 Trek 4500 for 330. The '04 GT Avalanche is
> > 300, as is the Kona LanaI, the Specialized Hardrock Sport and the Trek 4500.
> >
> Unfortunately where I am, good bike shops are hard to find.

Pete Fagerlin has a Carrera. It's red, and is the finest in Teutonic engineering. Hell, even
Ferdinand himself would be impressed.

Your GBP330 wouldn't be enough to buy a set of brake pads for the thing, I'm afraid.

:)

--
Jonesy

"Pagemaster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking at getting a Kraken, (not sure if it's SE.) Thing is, i'd
like
> to know if anyone has got/had a Carrera and what they thought about it.
The
> one i'm looking at is about £330, (that's about my limit i'm afraid.) Any comments welcome,
>
> Daz.
>
> --
> Where you're going, you're not coming back from.

I have the Kraken SE and it's a nice bike to ride as far as I'm concerned (but then I'm not an
expert by any stretch of the imagination). I do a fair bit of mixed road / off-road riding as well
as all off-road XC all of which it has handled everything pretty well so far and, given that I go 19
stone +, it must be reasonably well built :)

I'm in the market for a full suspension mount now but will probably keep the Kraken for lighter use.
Trouble is I can only run to £1,000 and the more knowledgeable on this group had advised me in the
past that £1K not enough for a decent full suspension bike.

Later,

Fred

"Fred Fragger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Pagemaster" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I'm looking at getting a Kraken, (not sure if it's SE.) Thing is, i'd
> like
> > to know if anyone has got/had a Carrera and what they thought about it.
> The
> > one i'm looking at is about £330, (that's about my limit i'm afraid.)
Any
> > comments welcome,
> >
> > Daz.
> >
> > --
> > Where you're going, you're not coming back from.
> >

> I have the Kraken SE and it's a nice bike to ride as far as I'm concerned (but then I'm not an
> expert by any stretch of the imagination). I do a
fair
> bit of mixed road / off-road riding as well as all off-road XC all of
which
> it has handled everything pretty well so far and, given that I go 19 stone +, it must be
> reasonably well built :)
>
> I'm in the market for a full suspension mount now but will probably keep
the
> Kraken for lighter use. Trouble is I can only run to £1,000 and the more knowledgeable on this
> group had advised me in the past that £1K not enough for a decent full suspension bike.
>
> Later,
>
> Fred

Thanks Fred. :)

"neil ruddock" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> i got a carrera kraken at crimbo, paid £270 reduced from £330 looks good, feels good, great for me
> being a beginner havent heard a bad word about them yet!
>
> "Pagemaster" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "gazzer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > "Pagemaster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > i'd
> about
> > it.
> > afraid.)

> > might be
> > >
> > > Get a knowledgable friend to help you buy a second hand bike.
> > >
> > > cheers
> > >
> > > gaz
> >
> > Looking for comments on Carreras, I'd like to get a new bike as the last
> one
> > i've had for a long time, but it's just not up to my current tasks.

Thanks, that's the kinda thing I like to hear.