Anyone have a chopper or any raleigh bikes ?

Originally posted by Chopper_Amb
hi , does anyone in this forum chat have a raleigh chopper or any other raleigh bike ?

Yep.

Raleigh RC 3000.

Custom 7005 series double/triple butted aluminum frame - compact design Incredible strength-to-weight ratio. Compact design improves stiffness and offers better acceleration. Triple-butted downtube and double-butted toptube. Equipped with replaceable derailleur hanger. Integrated headset adds strength

Bonded alloy straightblade fork Aerodynamic design. Cr-Mo steerer and integrated headset add strength and stiffness

Shimano Tiagra drivetrain with STI shifters Efficient 18-speed shifting system with dual-control STI shift levers for precise and simultaneous shifting and braking

Shimano Tiagra chainwheel and UN52 bottom bracket Forged alloy construction for strength and lightweight. Sealed cartridge means low-maintenance and hassle-free performance

Wellgo R-3 clipless pedals Clipless sytem allows improved pedaling efficiency and peformance. A must-have for competitive cyclists.

Shimano Tiagra hubs Reliable and low-maintenance design

Maxxis Zenith tyres Slick design. Competition 700 x 23c road tire

Topgear TG-X saddle Comfort low-profile design with Kevlar sides and plastic bumpers for protection

If you want to see some of the latest in their range (in South Africa) then just go to www.raleigh.co.za

keep saving those pennies and maybe you'll be able to afford a real bike someday.

Ewitz, in South Africa you do nor get a good bike for less then $1500 which equals to 2/3 of your monthly sallary (before taxes).

my parents still have the Raleigh chopper i rode as a kid in the garage in NJ.

The only origonal part of my Raleigh R600 (1997) left is the frame, I have replaced every component. The aluminum frame is not the lightest, however, I have gotten it down to 16 lb. though not with out spending some major money. It has a Easton EC90 fork, FSA Carbon Pro Elite Compact Crank, and, Mavic Ksyrium wheels, among other things. I keep the frame because of the rough roads, and high miliage, why ruin an expensive frame ? And most importantly, it is RED.

I've just read in this weeks Cycling Weekly (UK) that the Chopper is to be relaunched in the UK later this year, at just under £300???
The gear change will no longer be the shift stick mounted between your legs but a twist grip style :confused: this they say is for safety reasons.
The saddle will no longer be the long one, but one of those long type MTB down hill saddles with a back rest :mad: not quite as good as the orginal, but an alternative !!!!!

There is a chopper hanging above a bar that I sometimes go to. It doesn't have a scratch on it and the paint is as clear as the day the first air went in its tyres.

I was too young for the chopper the first time, so will look forward to having a play on one the second time round!

I have a non folding version of a 3 speed Raleigh shopper. It now has bar-ends and spd pedals and soon to have alloy wheels.

I ride 1960s Raleigh (and robin hood, Rudge etc) "sports" 3 speeds - what you non-raleigh people might call "dutch bikes." I imagine this is the wrong forum for talking about vintage bikes or european city bikes, anti-3 speed/gear hub sentiments seem to be farely common - in Portland, OR bike shop employees and the "veloheads" have a hard time not telling you your bike is a piece of ****.

I don't know anything about choppers, apparently they can be incredibly expensive. I've seen choppers on ebay for 400-500 pounds, for 1/3 of that you could buy a pre-war Rudge-Whitworth or BSA roadster. Who are buying these bikes? "bobos" who grew up in the 70s and have lots of money to spend?

Chopper_Amb said:
hi , does anyone in this forum chat have a raleigh chopper or any other raleigh bike ?
My father has a 1934 Rudge Whitworth in need of some restoration for sale if anyone is interested pls post interest CG

hello i do not know what a raleigh bike is. but i do know that norco for 2005 is making a chopper sells for about 720$ canadian. and my wife tells me that kona is making one as well.

Chopper_Amb said:
Don't have a Raleigh Chopper, but I do have 8 Schwinn Sting-Rays and Krates. I also have a 2003 Raleigh M60 MTB. It's not a high end bike by any means but it suits my purposes.

I have two MK2 Raleigh Choppers found in the council clean up...eventually I will make one good one out of the two. The condition
is pretty terrible of both and will need to be resprayed & rechromed at
the least. Parts seem to be plentiful on Ebay.

The coolest bike I ever rode as a kid it started falling apart after a couple of years and one day the handle bars came loose while going downhill nearly killed me but I still like the style of that bike. I have been looking at pictures of that bike and reminiscing lately.:)

Chopper_Amb said:

i would pee my pants if i got a Schwinn Krate Grey Ghost or Cotton Picker...mmmm lovely bikes those...

Chopper_Amb said:
For Christmas I received the new Giant Stiletto chopper. Regardless of what some arrogant, superior-minded 'real' cyclists in here (and other forums) say, they are a lot of fun and a blast to ride. You might not want to use one as your regular commuter, but for weekends in the park or cruising the neighborhood they are great. And, you can have just as much fun customizing them! :D

Chopper_Amb said:

I have a Raleigh R200.
Very sturdy - triple ring bike.
Very reliable.

I also have a Pinarello and a Bianchi

limerickman said:
I have a Raleigh R200.
Very sturdy - triple ring bike.
Very reliable.

I also have a Pinarello and a Bianchi
I have a Raleigh steel lugged frame from a Raleigh Grand Prix hanging in the garage. Also have an old Raleigh/Rampar BMX hanging up. My other bikes are a Trek 1000 and a RANS Tailwind recumbent. The recumbent is getting all of the miles now. Kids sometimes comment that it looks cool, kind of like a chopper of sorts. The old Raleigh chopper was one cool bike. As a kid I was able to test ride one at a LBS. More comfortable (for me) than a Sting Ray.