Anyone have a Rock Lobster Team Tig SL from Merlin Cycles?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Chris Brown, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. Chris Brown

    Chris Brown Guest

    Hi,

    I'm on the market for a £1000 hardtail to use for XC and commuting and have found the Rock Lobster
    Team Tig SL from Merlin Cycles for £959 with the following:

    "frame is built from Easton Elite tubing to give a very light frameset. Forks are 2004 Marzocchi MX
    Comp. Groupset is full XT with the added feature of Hope Mini disc brakes front and rear. Easton
    EA50 bars, stem and seatpost. Wheels- XT disc hubs with Mavic XC717 silver disc rims fitted with
    Panaracer Fire XC tyres."

    The bike weighs 26lbs. I would upgrade the forks to MX Pro ETA.

    This looks like a super spec for the money. The only problem is that I am in Cambridge and they
    are 200 miles away in Lancashire. I'm a bit nervous about spending so much money for a bike I
    haven't seen!

    Does anyone living in East Anglia, the Midlands or the SE have one of these bikes that they would be
    willing to let me have a look at?

    Anyone have any comments about the bike, its components, or Merlin?

    Cheers,

    Chris Brown
    --
    Remove the numbers from my email address to reply.

    Tags:

  2. Sarissa

    Sarissa Guest

    I bought a similar MTB from Merlin almost 2 years ago - reynolds 853 frame , same fork as you intend
    to get with an LX/XT mix and the same brakes. The bike has taken everything I could (ineptly) throw
    at it from desert and rocky trails in Morrocco to purpose built Mtb circuits in Mabie Forest. I
    especially like its agility and utterly dependable braking performance. No quibbles about quality or
    initial setup either.

    Go for it - you'll be glad you did!

    Sarissa

    Chris Brown wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm on the market for a £1000 hardtail to use for XC and commuting and have found the Rock Lobster
    > Team Tig SL from Merlin Cycles for £959 with the following:
    >
    > "frame is built from Easton Elite tubing to give a very light frameset. Forks are 2004 Marzocchi
    > MX Comp. Groupset is full XT with the added feature of Hope Mini disc brakes front and rear.
    > Easton EA50 bars, stem and seatpost. Wheels- XT disc hubs with Mavic XC717 silver disc rims fitted
    > with Panaracer Fire XC tyres."
    >
    > The bike weighs 26lbs. I would upgrade the forks to MX Pro ETA.
    >
    > This looks like a super spec for the money. The only problem is that I am in Cambridge and they
    > are 200 miles away in Lancashire. I'm a bit nervous about spending so much money for a bike I
    > haven't seen!
    >
    > Does anyone living in East Anglia, the Midlands or the SE have one of these bikes that they would
    > be willing to let me have a look at?
    >
    > Anyone have any comments about the bike, its components, or Merlin?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Chris Brown
    > --
    > Remove the numbers from my email address to reply.

  3. Zaphod

    Zaphod Guest

    [email protected] (Chris Brown) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm on the market for a £1000 hardtail to use for XC and commuting and have found the Rock Lobster
    > Team Tig SL from Merlin Cycles for £959 with the following:
    <..>
    > Anyone have any comments about the bike, its components, or Merlin?

    I've had one for a couple of years- 853 frame, XT groupset, 'zocchi forks. It's a sensibly designed,
    fairly traditional hardtail frame, ideal for my combined XC/commuting use. Worth checking for
    rack/mudguard mounting points though- mine doesn't have any, which means I have to use a rucksack..

    No complaints at all, excellent bike, sensibly priced and very good service from Merlin. Buy one.

  4. Ben

    Ben Guest

    On 23 Feb 2004 07:16:19 -0800, [email protected] (Chris
    Brown) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm on the market for a £1000 hardtail to use for XC and commuting and have found the Rock Lobster
    >Team Tig SL from Merlin Cycles for £959 with the following:
    >
    >"frame is built from Easton Elite tubing to give a very light frameset. Forks are 2004 Marzocchi MX
    >Comp. Groupset is full XT with the added feature of Hope Mini disc brakes front and rear. Easton
    >EA50 bars, stem and seatpost. Wheels- XT disc hubs with Mavic XC717 silver disc rims fitted with
    >Panaracer Fire XC tyres."
    >
    >The bike weighs 26lbs. I would upgrade the forks to MX Pro ETA.
    >
    >This looks like a super spec for the money. The only problem is that I am in Cambridge and they
    >are 200 miles away in Lancashire. I'm a bit nervous about spending so much money for a bike I
    >haven't seen!
    >
    >Does anyone living in East Anglia, the Midlands or the SE have one of these bikes that they would
    >be willing to let me have a look at?
    >
    >Anyone have any comments about the bike, its components, or Merlin?

    Some slightly indirect comments I hope are of use...

    ...I bought a Rock Lobster 853 frame from Merlin in the middle of last year. The quality of the
    frame for the money is extremely good. Well built, good paintwork, nice touches like Ritchey
    dropouts. Good, strong, light steel frame basically, ok so you're looking at the aluminium one but
    the build quality is going to be the same and the weight is too, I think.

    On the Merlin Cycles front... I've ordered a fair few bits an pieces from them, the service has
    always been prompt, the goods well packaged and the prices very good. If I was every going to buy a
    built bike I'd seriously consider them, as it is I'll probably always build my own, but they'll be
    on my list of suppliers.