Anyone have an opinion on Motobecane bikes?

Laika

Sep 25, 2003
I'm looking specifically at the Vent Noir and Grand Sprint models, but would appreciate even general opinions and insights about the brand. Thanks!!

Originally posted by Laika
I'm looking specifically at the Vent Noir and Grand Sprint models, but would appreciate even general opinions and insights about the brand. Thanks!!

I have a 2001 Le Champion which I like very much for a first road bike. Full Ultegra, nice color, all for $1095.00 and free shipping. Down side, replace the rime tape first, and the saddle. I have a 50cm which weighs only about 20 lbs.

Motobecane was considered one of the major French brands during the bicycle boom of the 70's. Then they seemed to pull out of the US market but they seem to be make a comeback.

Originally posted by cmitch46
Motobecane was considered one of the major French brands during the bicycle boom of the 70's. Then they seemed to pull out of the US market but they seem to be make a comeback.
The name was sold, and the current oriental made ones have no connection to the originals.

Originally posted by boudreaux
The name was sold, and the current oriental made ones have no connection to the originals.
That may be good or bad. A lot of trashy bikes were sold during the bike boom.

I am looking for some info on 70's era Motobecanes. If someone has ideas about what were the better models-marage, grand jubilee, etc, how they rank, I would be very interested. I have a Grand jubile that is too small for me, but want to get a similar one.

evan said:
I am looking for some info on 70's era Motobecanes. If someone has ideas about what were the better models-marage, grand jubilee, etc, how they rank, I would be very interested. I have a Grand jubile that is too small for me, but want to get a similar one.

They made a big mistake in the late 70's by contracting out their manufacturing and brand names to enlarge their market share. I'm one of the lucky ones as while in France in 1975 I ordered a custom made Gran Jubile to my measurements with Mavic rims and tubulars, Modolo Pro brakes, TA crank set and Hueret front and rear and lots of other optional goodies. It took about six months to get delivered to Ottawa but I never have owned a better bike and am still riding it. Have toured all over Eastern Canada and US New England states with no problems other than the occasional flat. Early on I converted the TA to a tripple and went with a Campy Rally. The ones that are sold today have nothing to do with the French ones as they finally sold their name.

cmitch46 said:
No connection to the old Motobecane, other than the name which was sold to another outfit.

evan said:

A guy I rode with back in the 80's had a Motobecane Team Champion, their finest with all Campy Record gear. Nice bike, well built, nicely finished. I never could get used to that orange color, though.

Yes, the ones sold today are just a rebadged Taiwan bike. Doesn't mean they are bad bikes, any more than the new Schwinns are bad bikes. Seems like a lot of classic old brands have been revived in name only for the mini road bike boom that has been going on the last few years.

I'm really not getting the idea of a bike being "trashy" because it was made in Japan or China or someplace else. Ever heard of Honda, Toyota or Sony? The folks who seem to be cutting in on non-European/Asian-made bikes don't seem to be putting up a lot of info on what makes a bike "trashy" Does the frame crack or break or bend? Are the weld seems unattrative or weak? Is it too heavy or does it come with junky parts? An butted, aluminum frame from Japan with a good Ultegra or Dura Ace group, a carbon fork, alloy rims and posts, and decent geoemetry will ride just as well as a model with a much higher price tag...at least for the VAST MAJORITY of riders.

When I think of junky or trashy mechanical things, it is becaues they die too soon. Bikes don't really die unless something serious happens to the frame. You can get a new fork. Frames can be re-painted. Everything else can be upgraded or replaced.

A friend of mine rides a newer Motobecane, and he's very happy with it. It's light, responsive, and has been going fine for 1800+ miles.

So I guess I am curious about what criteria is used to rate a bike "trashy" or "junky" For me, it needs to be more than an off-brand name or an Asian place of origin.

Jab

jabberwocky said:
For me, it needs to be more than an off-brand name or an Asian place of origin.
Not having any direct experience with Motobecane, I'm speaking purely theoretically here--but I'm not sure anyone has qualified the label as junk simply because it's Asian-factory made. A lot of excellent high-end bikes are produced in Taiwanese or Chinese factories.

There's still such thing as a substandard bike frame, though. Are you sure Motobecane doesn't represent lower overall quality of construction, materials or design?

boudreaux said:
Motobecanes were among the trashiest.
I beg to differ. During the '70s bike boom I worked in a shop and Motobecanes were no where near the trashiest. The paint and workmanship on the frames was certainly a cut above Peugeot and some of the other French and Italian mass producers. And the low-end components were often Suntour/SR instead of the horrible plastic Simplex or **** like the Campy Valentino. Now, the Motobecanes were not quite up to the level of some Japanese bikes, but that is a different story....

Joe

lokstah said:
There's still such thing as a substandard bike frame, though. Are you sure Motobecane doesn't represent lower overall quality of construction, materials or design?

Actually, here it is 2 years later and I can say the Motobecane i bought is a teriffic bike. I bought a Grand Sprint w/ Ultergra/105 components for well under a thousand dollars. I've got somewhere around 4k miles on it and haven't ever had a major problem. The frame is nice, though showing normal wear, and the welds are even okay looking. I can highly recommend this bike.

Laika said:
Actually, here it is 2 years later and I can say the Motobecane i bought is a teriffic bike. I bought a Grand Sprint w/ Ultergra/105 components for well under a thousand dollars. I've got somewhere around 4k miles on it and haven't ever had a major problem. The frame is nice, though showing normal wear, and the welds are even okay looking. I can highly recommend this bike.
Glad it's working for you.

I bought a Motobecane rigid MTB from a LBS near my college in '98. Had it for a year before selling it due to moving to a non bike commute friendly town. In that time, only the rear grip shift broke, and was replaced under warranty. Had no problems whatsoever, and the work and frame quality exceded Walmart **** by far. I cant comment on their performance oriented bikes, but i liked mine.

Laika said:

jabberwocky said:
I'm really not getting the idea of a bike being "trashy" because it was made in Japan or China or someplace else. Ever heard of Honda, Toyota or Sony? The folks who seem to be cutting in on non-European/Asian-made bikes don't seem to be putting up a lot of info on what makes a bike "trashy" Does the frame crack or break or bend? Are the weld seems unattrative or weak? Is it too heavy or does it come with junky parts? An butted, aluminum frame from Japan with a good Ultegra or Dura Ace group, a carbon fork, alloy rims and posts, and decent geometry will ride just as well as a model with a much higher price tag...at least for the VAST MAJORITY of riders.

When I think of junky or trashy mechanical things, it is because they die too soon. Bikes don't really die unless something serious happens to the frame. You can get a new fork. Frames can be re-painted. Everything else can be upgraded or replaced.

A friend of mine rides a newer Motobecane, and he's very happy with it. It's light, responsive, and has been going fine for 1800+ miles.

So I guess I am curious about what criteria is used to rate a bike "trashy" or "junky" For me, it needs to be more than an off-brand name or an Asian place of origin.

Jab
I bought a Motobecane Super Mirage in 1997 that had a very nice Chrom Moly fully lugged frame. I eventually replaced the Shimano Exage drive train with full 105 and upgraded the wheels and the fork. Finally sold it last year because five bikes are too many and I wasn't riding it anymore. Fully satisfied with the bike and got good value for the money spent.

I do have an opinion on Motobecane bikes. They're probably the best buy on the market right now. If you want to know the frame geometry, or the size that is right for you, just go to a fuji dealer, their frames are made in the same plant. The components are for the most part better than anything under $1500, and I have absolutely no complaints about the frame. A new seat and seatpost may be desired, but besides that, the vent noir, for under $900, is in my opinion, the best bike on the market to date. I have seen the old motobecanes from the 70's, and they left something to be desired in my book, but the new models are AMAZING. Go buy one!:)