Anyone have any good results from Polar products?

sevenrider310 said:
You cant..cause of Owncode....each strap is coded for unit...

That is wrong, you can use ANY coded strap with any Polar S series HRM, the HRM scans for a coded strap and then locks on to the first coded signal it finds.

To the original post, I say save up and get a PowerTap. If you do, you'll realize that it's well worth it. You'll forget about the cost very soon.

i've had a polar s725 for a couple of months now, and its bloody fantastic. i guess why i chose it over the s720 was:
1. the soft chest transmitter and
2. the carbon look face - it gets way more respect hahaha =)

Polarteam said:
If you do the odd run from time to time buy the S625X which comes std. with a foot pod to tell pace,speed and distance when running and then buy seperate speed and cadence sensors for the bike

I have just purchased a S625X. Very impressed. I am amazed at the progress since my last Polar Nightvision which I purchased 10 years ago.

In other question...

What about the difference between the 610 and the 720i?
Are the cycling features realiable?

And have anyone ever had a problem with the 720 watch (visor failure, stopped working without reason, not accurate measures)?

As you can see, I am also looking to buy one and I am still in very doubt between both...

Rominger said:
In other question...

What about the difference between the 610 and the 720i?
Are the cycling features realiable?

And have anyone ever had a problem with the 720 watch (visor failure, stopped working without reason, not accurate measures)?

As you can see, I am also looking to buy one and I am still in very doubt between both...

610 only has heart rate recording. 720/725 also has speed, altitude, thermometer, cadence (with optional extra sensor), and power (also with optional extra sensor).

Reliability - seems good by reputation and I haven't had any problems in over a year.

KakenBetaal said:
610 only has heart rate recording. 720/725 also has speed, altitude, thermometer, cadence (with optional extra sensor), and power (also with optional extra sensor).

Reliability - seems good by reputation and I haven't had any problems in over a year.
So my question is: Do you have a bike computer attached or the 720 is enough and reliable at any ride?

Not that I don´t trust Polar, my father has an XTrainerPlus and still uses it (not a lot, but download data dozens of times and only the strap and the watch ran out of batteries), but I want to avoid further problems.

Rominger said:
So my question is: Do you have a bike computer attached or the 720 is enough and reliable at any ride?

Not that I don´t trust Polar, my father has an XTrainerPlus and still uses it (not a lot, but download data dozens of times and only the strap and the watch ran out of batteries), but I want to avoid further problems.

I have had a Polar 720 for just over a year and have found it a great tool for training. I have found it to be a very reliable bike computer as well. I ride with a group quite often and we all have very similar readings when it comes to distance, ave speed, etc.

Rominger said:

720 is a perfectly good cycling computer with stacks of functions and is as accurate as any other computer. The only real issue is that there are so many functions that you're scrolling around looking at them all (esp if you have the power function as I do) It's also a little annoying that the audio heart rate alarms don't sound in bike mode (dunno why) so you have to keep looking down at the screen. The altitude thing goes strange every now and again, but it settles back down again fairly soon.

Otherwise very pleased. Polar products always seem to have that air of quality about them. The downloads work fine, I beam it straight into the ir port on my laptop without any problems.

Yes, the small screen is perhaps the main disadvantage for me - I'd like to have a larger one with more of the functions displayed at once. The altitude sensor is pressure based, so just like an aircraft altimeter it needs resetting before every trip if you want accuracy. I once had a steadily decaying altitude even though I was on a flat loop course, just because atmospheric pressure was rising.

Oh, that's true about the HR limits beep - but I don't use that function since I prefer to play a game with myself and try match RPE and my heart rate.

brutrak said:
The new wearlink strap is comfortable. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't work properly under water, so I have to use my other strap (the one that came with the M51) to swim.

brutrak
I've had the same problem swimming with my new s725. Needless to say, it came as a bit of a surprise. I've written Polar, but so far no reply. it is more than a little annoying to think that I may have to spend about $70 for another transmitter to use for swimming.

Has anyone successfully used the wearlink swimming?

I have the s725 and am loving it. I collect information on a Latitude using its integrated IRDA with no problems, and use the Polar USB interface on another XP Pro desktop system with no issues.

Only thought so far is that I may actually like the style T31 transmitter better than the new flexible WearLink version. That's not a big deal though, just a bit of personal preference.

Otherwise, I am gathering and using both speed and cadence data. Down the road, like maybe if Santa brings it to me, I could see getting the Power Output sensor as well. The Precision Performance software is pretty easy to use and provides all the information that I would want. The graphs are terrific and have helped me a lot when I come back to computer and analyze my ride.

Hope this helps. ;)

rhyndman said:
I've had the same problem swimming with my new s725. Needless to say, it came as a bit of a surprise. I've written Polar, but so far no reply. it is more than a little annoying to think that I may have to spend about $70 for another transmitter to use for swimming.

Has anyone successfully used the wearlink swimming?
Polar's reponse:

"Try making the elastic strap tighter around your chest. Sometimes when you are swimming the water passes between your skin and the transmitter and the transmitter looses contact with your skin, giving you a double zero reading. Adjust the elastic strap so it is tighter then normal around your body and see if this helps."

I had actually tried this, but perhaps not tightly enough. And after my ride yesterday, I left my Polar at the trailhead - aarrgghhh!!!!! - today it is missing. Good grief - perhaps I was distracted after my hardest ride of the season. Anyway, I think I will replace it with the s720 - I swim a lot and I suspect the wearlink is trouble underwater .....

Polarteam said:
If you do the odd run from time to time buy the S625X which comes std. with a foot pod to tell pace,speed and distance when running and then buy seperate speed and cadence sensors for the bike
See, that's the one of the problems with Polar ... buy more stuff. The first problem, if I might backtrack, is horrible design. The interfaces are unintuitive and and the parts are clunky.

For the same price or less you can get better systems (less parts, more intuitive interface design) from any number of other vendors.

Take it from me... i'm $400 in the whole and fell like I made a terrible decision buying the S625X and all it's components.