Anyone have experience/info on these guys..."betterworld" (for bike towing insurance)

Hi Folks.
I've been a AAA'er for a long time but also routinely commute by
bicycle. AAA does not support bicycles
for "towing" etc.
I'm considering signing up with these guys below, since they say they
will cover bicycles, too.
But...since I'm the natural born cautious skeptic...is anyone alreaddy
signed up w/ them and how do they stack up to Brand X?

I'm assuming that the vast majority of the times I *do* need a tow, it
will be w/ a car, anyway.

Pureheart

http://www.betterworldclub.com/about/index.htm

Better World Club: As far as getting a tow for your car, it will work
essentially the same as AAA. They have the same type of nationwide
network of towing outfits they can call, as AAA does. In fact in some
cases they might be calling the same towing company to come & get you
as AAA does. (They're just independent towing companies, not owned by
AAA or Better World in either case . . . ).

They had no trouble at all finding someone to come & tow us out of a
snowbank 30 miles outside of Laramie, WY, when we recently found
ourselves lodged in a snowbank there.

I've never called to have them pick me up on my bike, but it's nice to
know you have that option if it's ever needed.

--Brent

On 27 Jan 2007 17:29:46 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>Hi Folks.
>I've been a AAA'er for a long time but also routinely commute by
>bicycle. AAA does not support bicycles
>for "towing" etc.
>I'm considering signing up with these guys below, since they say they
>will cover bicycles, too.
>But...since I'm the natural born cautious skeptic...is anyone alreaddy
>signed up w/ them and how do they stack up to Brand X?
>
>I'm assuming that the vast majority of the times I *do* need a tow, it
>will be w/ a car, anyway.
>
>Pureheart
>

>http://www.betterworldclub.com/about/index.htm

This was discussed on several groups already.

30 miles and two trips a year for $ 40? Come on, I could probably set
up a better deal with four or five friends on bikes - for the price of
gas. For the $ 40 price I could wave a twenty at passing motorists
each time I broke down and save the cost of a cellphone call.

Put me in the skeptic column. The only time I would even consider it
would be if I rode in a really cold area, where I thought there was a
chance I couldn't fix or swap a tube. Make that a cold, desolate area.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

On Jan 29, 7:44 am, Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> wrote:

> This was discussed on several groups already.
>
> 30 miles and two trips a year for $ 40? Come on, I could probably set
> up a better deal with four or five friends on bikes - for the price of
> gas.

For both the OP and myself, the decision had already been made to
purchase some kind of AAA-type coverage for our automobile(s) (put
aside the question of bicycle coverage for a moment).

So the question becomes, does Better World offer a similar service to
what AAA provides, with similar coverage, at a competitive price.

The answer is yes.

For those of us who very much dislike many of the policies that AAAs
advocates quite vigorously at the local, state, and national levels,
this makes the decision about whether to purchase this coverage from
Better World or AAA pretty easy.

A dollar not spent to support AAA is a dollar well spent IMHO.

As to the bicycle-only coverage, it does cost $40 but it also includes
a membership in the BikeLeague. So if you were going to support
BikeLeague anyway ($30?) it's not so bad.

On the other hand if you are going to purchase the automobile
coverage, then adding the bicycle coverage is not nearly as high. So
it might be worth it for some people.

--Brent