Anyone have experience with buldging discs?

FlashMe

Jul 27, 2006
I had surgery 2 1/2 years ago to remove a ruptured disc in my lower back. Since that time, I have been riding normally (after 6 months off the bike). Recently I began to have an aching pain in my left leg, similar to but not as sharp as the fire shooting down my leg prior to surgery. Having seen a doctor and undergone two epidural injections for the remaining portion of the disc that is buldging, I want to get back on the bike.

I still have some lingering pain, even with the back excercises prescribed. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any help would be useful and greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

FlashMe said:
I had surgery 2 1/2 years ago to remove a ruptured disc in my lower back. Since that time, I have been riding normally (after 6 months off the bike). Recently I began to have an aching pain in my left leg, similar to but not as sharp as the fire shooting down my leg prior to surgery. Having seen a doctor and undergone two epidural injections for the remaining portion of the disc that is buldging, I want to get back on the bike.

I still have some lingering pain, even with the back excercises prescribed. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any help would be useful and greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Two discectiomies (L5/S1) following disc rupture. The first was in 1986. The second, ~1994, cleaned out whatever was left of the disc. Pain is always there at a low level, but worsens when I do something stupid (last time, about 3 weeks ago, I bent over to pick up an empty Coke can that was by my right ankle--the twisting did it) or lift something heavy. It was the return of significant (life affecting) pain (probably brought on by again doing something stupid--I can't remember what at the moment) that led to the 2nd surgery.

In short, if your experience is like mine, the sciatica (pain down outside of leg) will gradually diminish, but will linger at some (hopefully) low level for the rest of your life. Perhaps, if some remaining portion of the disc is still pressing on the sciatic nerve, a 2nd surgery might be required. Suggest you have a talk with your neurosurgeon.

OldGoat said:
Two discectiomies (L5/S1) following disc rupture. The first was in 1986. The second, ~1994, cleaned out whatever was left of the disc. Pain is always there at a low level, but worsens when I do something stupid (last time, about 3 weeks ago, I bent over to pick up an empty Coke can that was by my right ankle--the twisting did it) or lift something heavy. It was the return of significant (life affecting) pain (probably brought on by again doing something stupid--I can't remember what at the moment) that led to the 2nd surgery.

In short, if your experience is like mine, the sciatica (pain down outside of leg) will gradually diminish, but will linger at some (hopefully) low level for the rest of your life. Perhaps, if some remaining portion of the disc is still pressing on the sciatic nerve, a 2nd surgery might be required. Suggest you have a talk with your neurosurgeon.
Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping the lower back exercises will help alot. The doctors tell me if I have to have another surgery, its possible they may have to fuse my spine (L5/S1 also). I'm self employed and cannot afford to be out of work for any length of time right now.

Have you ever had any trouble after a tough ride (steep climbing, sprinting, etc.) ?

I'm really worried about pushing it too hard without realizing it until its too late.

FlashMe said:
Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping the lower back exercises will help alot. The doctors tell me if I have to have another surgery, its possible they may have to fuse my spine (L5/S1 also). I'm self employed and cannot afford to be out of work for any length of time right now.

Have you ever had any trouble after a tough ride (steep climbing, sprinting, etc.) ?

I'm really worried about pushing it too hard without realizing it until its too late.
No. My only problems that I recall have been after lifting, especially while twisting at the waist, anything heavy. My doc told me that my spine would perhaps auto-fuse on its own after the 2nd surgery, at which he said he'd removed essentially all of what remained of the disc after the 1st surgery. No idea if it has autofused. All I know is, I can do most anything I want within reason, but will suffer if I'm stupid. Oddly, riding puts me in a position in which I'm relatively free of pain, even if my back is hurting from other activities (like a few weeks ago when I lifted and moved a 10' 8x8 landscape timber).

OldGoat said:
No. My only problems that I recall have been after lifting, especially while twisting at the waist, anything heavy. My doc told me that my spine would perhaps auto-fuse on its own after the 2nd surgery, at which he said he'd removed essentially all of what remained of the disc after the 1st surgery. No idea if it has autofused. All I know is, I can do most anything I want within reason, but will suffer if I'm stupid. Oddly, riding puts me in a position in which I'm relatively free of pain, even if my back is hurting from other activities (like a few weeks ago when I lifted and moved a 10' 8x8 landscape timber).
Thanks Goat. Maybe i'll get lucky and avoid another surgery. I'm gonna take i easy on the bike for a couple of weeks and see how I do. Its good to know someone else has had this problem(who rides too). I appreciate your insight.

FlashMe said:
Thanks Goat. Maybe i'll get lucky and avoid another surgery. I'm gonna take i easy on the bike for a couple of weeks and see how I do. Its good to know someone else has had this problem(who rides too). I appreciate your insight.
I've had three herniated discs (two lumbar, one cervical), and chose conservative care each time, in spite of several surgeons telling me I'd need surgery. Not so. the first was 30 years ago (low back). I was 15. The second was 5 years ago (neck). An I had another one last year in my low back. All injuries from trauma (sports, car crashes, etc.).

Last year's was the worst. I thought, "this is it". I had 3 surgical opinions. First two said operate. Third said wait. I waited. Walked, then ran every day. Always better stabding, hiking, walking, running. Always worse sitting or riding. I decided to ride anyway, and always followed my rides with a short run or jog. I am a D.C., so I decided to follow my advice like never before. It worked! I highly recommend stabilization exercises and conservative treatment. A recent study says that in most cases, surgery does no better than conservative treatment.

I did these for pezcycling news hope they can help some.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/default.asp?pg=fullstory&id=2927

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/default.asp?pg=fullstory&id=2987

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/default.asp?pg=fullstory&id=3003

Its a series of 3 articles

CapeRoadster said:
I've had three herniated discs (two lumbar, one cervical), and chose conservative care each time, in spite of several surgeons telling me I'd need surgery. Not so. the first was 30 years ago (low back). I was 15. The second was 5 years ago (neck). An I had another one last year in my low back. All injuries from trauma (sports, car crashes, etc.).

Last year's was the worst. I thought, "this is it". I had 3 surgical opinions. First two said operate. Third said wait. I waited. Walked, then ran every day. Always better stabding, hiking, walking, running. Always worse sitting or riding. I decided to ride anyway, and always followed my rides with a short run or jog. I am a D.C., so I decided to follow my advice like never before. It worked! I highly recommend stabilization exercises and conservative treatment. A recent study says that in most cases, surgery does no better than conservative treatment.

recoverydoc said:
Well, done, doc. It sounds like we have a lot in common. I've worked a lot of venues myself, from Gravity Games to AVP volleyball, pro soccer and others. I have an opportunity to work with a pro cycling team this year and may just do it. Any time you're up on Cape Cod, give me a call. I'll p.m. you.