anyone have experience with Kona bikes?

Pat

Guest
x-no-archive:yes

I am thinking of getting a Kona Cross Country bike, maybe a Kahuna model. The LBS guy said I should
get it and add on Avid mechanical disc brakes. He seems to think they would be less trouble and
maintenance than hydraulic disc brakes. I would put on some slicks and ride it around town most of
the time, but sometimes on the Rails to Trails paths and maybe go out on some single track. Does
anyone have any experience with this brand of bike?

Pat in TX

Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:01:18 -0500, <[email protected]>, "Pat"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anyone have any experience with this brand of bike?
>
>Pat in TX

They've a good reputation for being bomb proof bikes. Some components (suspension forks and Shimano
cranks) have been the subject of recalls. There's many Konas, both new and old, ridden around here.
But, then again, they are locally made.

The polo guys with mechanical discs are happier than the guys with hydraulics.
--
zk

x-no-archive:yes

> They've a good reputation for being bomb proof bikes. Some components (suspension forks and
> Shimano cranks) have been the subject of recalls. There's many Konas, both new and old, ridden
> around here. But, then again, they are locally made.
>
> The polo guys with mechanical discs are happier than the guys with hydraulics.
> --
> zk

Yeah, I've heard that. I was looking at a Kahuna Deluxe but wondering if I could change out the
hydraulic disc brakes for maybe some Avid mechanicals. At any rate, I can't find any 2003 models, so
I'll have to wait until September and see how much the 2004 ones have changed. My LBS told me that
Kona makes high quality bikes that last forever. I am looking for a cross country type bike, not a
drive-off-the-barn-and-see-if-you-live model.

Pat in TX

In article <[email protected]>, Pat wrote:

> I am thinking of getting a Kona Cross Country bike, maybe a Kahuna model... ...Does anyone have
> any experience with this brand of bike?

Can't address your riding needs or the disk brakes thing, but a friend of mine has a Kona Nunu and
she is extremely pleased with it after a couple of years. I've ridden it a couple of times and found
it to be nice as well, pleasant to ride on the road even with front suspension.

-- Dan

--
Dan Cosley ([email protected] * http://www.cs.umn.edu/~cosley/) GroupLens Research
Lab, Univ of MN (http://movielens.umn.edu/ * 612.624.8372) *** Just a foot soldier in the Army

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> x-no-archive:yes
>
> I am thinking of getting a Kona Cross Country bike, maybe a Kahuna model. The LBS guy said I
> should get it and add on Avid mechanical disc brakes.
He
> seems to think they would be less trouble and maintenance than hydraulic disc brakes. I would put
> on some slicks and ride it around town most of
the
> time, but sometimes on the Rails to Trails paths and maybe go out on some single track. Does
> anyone have any experience with this brand of bike?

I don't see why you'd need disc brakes on ANY bike used as described above. I assume it comes with
V-brakes? They're more than adequate for all but the most gnarly downhill-type riding. (I have V's
on both my mtb's, and I ride some pretty rugged trails.)

Bill "real men use V's (at least until I get discs some day :) " S.

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> x-no-archive:yes
>
> I am thinking of getting a Kona Cross Country bike, maybe a Kahuna model. The LBS guy said I
> should get it and add on Avid mechanical disc brakes.
He
> seems to think they would be less trouble and maintenance than hydraulic disc brakes. I would put
> on some slicks and ride it around town most of
the
> time, but sometimes on the Rails to Trails paths and maybe go out on some single track. Does
> anyone have any experience with this brand of bike?

Kona is one of my all-time favorite brands. I've owned several of their
XC/cross-country hardtail mountain bikes, including the titanium Kona Hei Hei. You can't go wrong
with Kona. I recommend their bikes unconditionally.

For the kind of riding you're doing, discs are total overkill. They will also add about 2 lbs to
your bike. I have bikes with discs, and bikes with V-brakes. Honestly, I prefer the modulation and
feel of the V-brakes. The discs can get "grabby" sometime. Unless you're bombing crazy downhill
runs, you'll never need disc brakes. Save your money and save a bunch of weight. Get a nice,
lightweight Kona hardtail with a well-damped shock fork, and you're all set. If you're going to
spend some money on upgrades, skip the discs and get an oil-damped fork. I don't know what kind of
V-brakes your Kona will come with, but any Avid brand V-brakes would be my choice. Even their
low-end models are great.

Get the bike that fits you best, have it adjusted perfectly, and have a blast on your new ride!

-Barry

An addendum to my previous post...

"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > x-no-archive:yes
> >
> > I am thinking of getting a Kona Cross Country bike, maybe a Kahuna
model.

For riding around town and on rail trails, you might wish you didn't have a full suspension bike.
They're great for serious off-road riding; but not much else. After you've bombed curbs for a while,
you get tired of bobbing up and down, and feeling like you're wasting your energy (which you are).
Hardtail frames are much more efficient. (read: faster) The Kahuna looks like a great deal for the
money. Very hard to beat, if it's what you really want.

> > The LBS guy said I should get it and add on Avid mechanical disc brakes.
> He
> > seems to think they would be less trouble and maintenance than hydraulic disc brakes. I would
> > put on some slicks and ride it around town most of
> the
> > time, but sometimes on the Rails to Trails paths and maybe go out on
some
> > single track. Does anyone have any experience with this brand of bike?
>
> Kona is one of my all-time favorite brands. I've owned several of their
> XC/cross-country hardtail mountain bikes, including the titanium Kona Hei Hei. You can't go wrong
> with Kona. I recommend their bikes
unconditionally.

> For the kind of riding you're doing, discs are total overkill. They will also add about 2 lbs to
> your bike. I have bikes with discs, and bikes
with
> V-brakes. Honestly, I prefer the modulation and feel of the V-brakes.
The
> discs can get "grabby" sometime. Unless you're bombing crazy downhill
runs,
> you'll never need disc brakes. Save your money and save a bunch of
weight.
> Get a nice, lightweight Kona hardtail with a well-damped shock fork, and you're all set. If you're
> going to spend some money on upgrades, skip the discs and get an oil-damped fork. I don't know
> what kind of V-brakes your Kona will come with, but any Avid brand V-brakes would be my choice.
> Even their low-end models are great.
>
> Get the bike that fits you best, have it adjusted perfectly, and have a blast on your new ride!
>
> -Barry

"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> For riding around town and on rail trails, you might wish you didn't have
> full suspension bike. They're great for serious off-road riding; but not much else. After you've
> bombed curbs for a while, you get tired of
bobbing
> up and down, and feeling like you're wasting your energy (which you are). Hardtail frames are much
> more efficient. (read: faster) The Kahuna looks like a great deal for the money. Very hard to
> beat, if it's what you
really
> want.

That all depends on the kind of roads you must ride and how often you want to bomb the trails. I
bought my first full-suspension bike specifically because of a really bad section of road that was
on my daily commute. Yes, I'm talking really, really bad. Patch upon patch on top of more patches
with more than a few large cracks and loose patch material everywhere. Besides, if you set up the
suspension correctly, then "bobbing" shouldn't be a problem. If it is, you should really work on
your pedalling technique. My favorite time to have suspension is when you have to cross "washboards"
on trails or gravel roads. I love to watch the hardtail guys bouncing all over the place while I
stay seated and pedal on through. The best setup is two wheelsets, one with road slicks and higher
gearing and the other with a good set of knobbies for the trails you ride most often.

Also, disc brakes are great on the street if you ride in the rain on a regular basis. They are less
affected by road grit and grime and are much more predictable than rim brakes. If they were such a
bad idea, then we wouldn't see them migrating over to road and cyclocross bikes.

Good luck, Buck

Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:11:54 -0500, <[email protected]>, "B. Sanders"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Save your money and save a bunch of weight. Get a nice, lightweight Kona hardtail with a
>well-damped shock fork, and you're all set. If you're going to spend some money on upgrades, skip
>the discs and get an oil-damped fork.

That'd do 'er.
--
zk

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 21:02:50 -0700, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> from Balsa Pacific Aero Ltd.
Engineering & Bicycle Mongery wrote:

>Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:11:54 -0500, <[email protected]>, "B. Sanders"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Save your money and save a bunch of weight. Get a nice, lightweight Kona hardtail with a
>>well-damped shock fork, and you're all set. If you're going to spend some money on upgrades, skip
>>the discs and get an oil-damped fork.
>
>That'd do 'er.

OK, my LBS manager has a Kona and loves it, and then this thread .... so I decided to check out
the web site.

They have an $800 single speed. WTF?

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace Where does it go when you flush? Where's
SANDY DUNCAN?

Sat, 16 Aug 2003 00:24:57 -0500, <[email protected]>, Kevan Smith
<[email protected]/\/\> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 21:02:50 -0700, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> from Balsa Pacific Aero Ltd.
>Engineering & Bicycle Mongery wrote:
>
>>Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:11:54 -0500, <[email protected]>, "B. Sanders"
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Save your money and save a bunch of weight. Get a nice, lightweight Kona hardtail with a
>>>well-damped shock fork, and you're all set. If you're going to spend some money on upgrades, skip
>>>the discs and get an oil-damped fork.
>>
>>That'd do 'er.
>
>OK, my LBS manager has a Kona and loves it, and then this thread .... so I decided to check out the
>web site.
>
>They have an $800 single speed. WTF?

"The Kona Unit uses True Temper OX Platinum tubing, which doesn’t mean a whole hell of a lot unless
you’re up to date with your bike tube manufacturing. Basically, what that does tell you is that the
Kona Unit is a thoughtful, well-equipped bike designed by individuals who understand. So just trust
us on this one…"

Fab's moonlighting flak for Kona?
--
zk

Sat, 16 Aug 2003 11:46:37 -0500, <[email protected]>, "B. Sanders"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> They have an $800 single speed. WTF?
>
>Single speed is a state of mind - it's also a niche boutique market.

Kona exudes attitude and looks to have been paying attention to what's on the street. Single speed
has been trick for a few years already.

For 2004, they're selling a chopper styled adult 3 spd cruiser, at $800, ready for bolt on goodies.
Another trendy niche market.

There's a range of bikes aimed at urban utility riders, one with fenders they're promoting as a $350
beater bike for bar hopping.

They're also offering models spec'd for clydesdales.
--
zk

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 20:03:24 -0700, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> from Balsa Pacific Aero Ltd.
Engineering & Bicycle Mongery wrote:

>Kona exudes attitude and looks to have been paying attention to what's on the street. Single speed
>has been trick for a few years already.
>
>For 2004, they're selling a chopper styled adult 3 spd cruiser, at $800, ready for bolt on goodies.
>Another trendy niche market.
>
>There's a range of bikes aimed at urban utility riders, one with fenders they're promoting as a
>$350 beater bike for bar hopping.
>
>They're also offering models spec'd for clydesdales.

They could just save themselves a lot of trouble and clone Surly's Karate Monkey.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace My polyvinyl cowboy wallet was made in Hong
Kong by Montgomery Clift!

Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> There's a range of bikes aimed at urban utility riders, one with fenders they're promoting as a
> $350 beater bike for bar hopping.

That'd take some pretty impressive trials skills, bar-hopping...

-Luigi

Sun, 17 Aug 2003 02:31:52 -0500, <[email protected]>, Kevan Smith
<[email protected]/\/\> wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 20:03:24 -0700, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> from Balsa Pacific Aero Ltd.
>Engineering & Bicycle Mongery wrote:
>
>>Kona exudes attitude and looks to have been paying attention to what's on the street. Single speed
>>has been trick for a few years already.
>>
>>For 2004, they're selling a chopper styled adult 3 spd cruiser, at $800, ready for bolt on
>>goodies. Another trendy niche market.
>>
>>There's a range of bikes aimed at urban utility riders, one with fenders they're promoting as a
>>$350 beater bike for bar hopping.
>>
>>They're also offering models spec'd for clydesdales.
>
>They could just save themselves a lot of trouble and clone Surly's Karate Monkey.

"O.K. this is the way that we see it… you can either spend $299 on a bike from some lame bike
company, or, you can spend $299 on a bike from a not so lame bike company like Kona. We don’t think
you’re lame. We just want you to do the right thing…"
--
zk

17 Aug 2003 11:46:54 -0700,
<[email protected]>, [email protected] (Luigi de Guzman) wrote:

>Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>> There's a range of bikes aimed at urban utility riders, one with fenders they're promoting as a
>> $350 beater bike for bar hopping.
>
>That'd take some pretty impressive trials skills, bar-hopping...

Most of the seriously impressive trials riders aren't yet old enough to even get into a bar.

I've watched the Baia brothers doing their stuff. Wow! Anybody that's nuts enough to do
nose-wheelies down ramps might get really dangerous after a few brews.
--
zk

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 11:57:07 -0700, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> from Balsa Pacific Aero Ltd.
Engineering & Bicycle Mongery wrote:

>Sun, 17 Aug 2003 02:31:52 -0500, <[email protected]>, Kevan Smith
><[email protected]/\/\> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 20:03:24 -0700, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> from Balsa Pacific Aero
>>Ltd. Engineering & Bicycle Mongery wrote:
>>
>>>Kona exudes attitude and looks to have been paying attention to what's on the street. Single
>>>speed has been trick for a few years already.
>>>
>>>For 2004, they're selling a chopper styled adult 3 spd cruiser, at $800, ready for bolt on
>>>goodies. Another trendy niche market.
>>>
>>>There's a range of bikes aimed at urban utility riders, one with fenders they're promoting as a
>>>$350 beater bike for bar hopping.
>>>
>>>They're also offering models spec'd for clydesdales.
>>
>>They could just save themselves a lot of trouble and clone Surly's Karate Monkey.
>
>"O.K. this is the way that we see it… you can either spend $299 on a bike from some lame bike
>company, or, you can spend $299 on a bike from a not so lame bike company like Kona. We don’t think
>you’re lame. We just want you to do the right thing…"

Kona's all about hype, innit?

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I like the way ONLY their mouths move ...
They look like DYING OYSTERS

Sun, 17 Aug 2003 14:22:04 -0500, <[email protected]>, Kevan Smith
<[email protected]/\/\> wrote:

>Kona's all about hype, innit?

They've got a good product and work to maintain their hard-core image. Guys were throwing around
Konas on the North Shore for years before anybody outside ever heard of the place. Having seen lots
of their bikes, I wouldn't say it's all hype.
--
zk

In article <[email protected]>, "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > OK, my LBS manager has a Kona and loves it, and then this thread .... so I decided to check out
> > the web site.
> >
> > They have an $800 single speed. WTF?
>
> Single speed is a state of mind - it's also a niche boutique market. They more than make up for
> the lack of gears with beaucoup pricey schwag, custom frames, custom paint, disc brakes, etc. The
> Kona Unit has the "right stuff" - RaceFace cranks, Avid brakes, high-end steel tubing, disc-ready
> wheelset, frame and fork. The $799 price point puts the Kona Unit well below the cost of just a
> bare frame from most custom builders, but with near-identical frame specs, and that famous Kona
> ride. If I were an 1FS* d00d, I'd buy one.
>
> -=Barry=-
>
> *= 1 F*cking Speed

You somehow haven't mentioned the now-discontinued Kona A, which was probably the weirdest
production singlespeed ever: a FS SS, based on the same frame as the Kikapu et al.

x-no-archive:yes

> You somehow haven't mentioned the now-discontinued Kona A, which was probably the weirdest
> production singlespeed ever: a FS SS, based on the same frame as the Kikapu et al.
>

> --
> Ryan Cousineau,

May be discontinued, but I know a shop that has one if you're interested...

Pat in TX