anyone have info on

The size of a medium egg plant? Wow, that is large. I've never seen them that size here.

"Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
berlin.de...
> your potato sounds like the avocado I bought on the same trip, it is huge, is called California
> avocado, and has smooth skin, what was I thinking...
is
> the size of a medium sized egg plant, Lee, considering all that fat,,, and drooling Brenda Hammond
> > I dropped a potato on my toe a few weeks ago. Man, did that hurt!
Ended
> up
> > with a bruise from it. I know it sounds kind of weird, a potato doing
> that
> > much damage, but it was very large, in fact I cooked it for dinner and
the
> > three of us shared it. The only other time I've ever seen baked
potatoes
> > that large was when we were in Las Vegas in 2000.
> >
> > Brenda
> >
> > "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > BIG ouch! Those cans are heavy, let alone having to try to duck from
an
> > entire
> > > box full. Glad most of them missed you and that no major damage was
> done.
> > >
> > > Joyce
> > >
> > > On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 17:29:37 -0600, "Miss Violette"
> > <[email protected]>

> > the
> > dug
> those
> feet.

> and
> > top
> capacity,
> > Lee
> diet -

> the
> > Dr.
> > carb,
> > carb
> > be a
> slice
> > of
Maybe

> > notice:

> message
> flour
> > tried

------=_NextPart_000_0555_01C3D64A.625F90E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-
Encoding: quoted-printable

I have e-mailed you too. My real addy is: [email protected] Cheers,=20 Vanessa In OZ :)
(273-212- goal 160)

"Anglea Woollcombe" <[email protected]> wrote in message =
news:[email protected]... venassa

i have sent you and e mail in regards to the info that you said you = had. if you like you can e
mail me personally with any of the info. i = would be greatly appriated for it. thanks again for
your help=20

angie "Celtic Gal (Vanessa)" <[email protected]> wrote in = message
news:[email protected]... Hi Angie, If you want to e-mail me (just remove the nospam)
and I will send = you some stuff. Cheers, Vanessa In OZ :) Overall (Was 273- Current 214- Goal
160 to 140)

"Anglea Woollcombe" <[email protected]> wrote in message =
news:[email protected]... thank you so much i will defenitly check
it out. maybe i can even = find some ideas for myself. thanks again for the info vanessa angie
ps anything else would be greatfull

"Celtic Gal (Vanessa)" <[email protected]> wrote in = message
news:[email protected]... Hi Angie, Jenny has a heap of info on her site. Just
click the link below and then go to "home" and check out = all her other pages. Best of luck
finding some good info. P.S. Below is an example of = what is on Jenny's site (hope she
doesn't mind me copying from her = site....) <G>. Vanessa :)

http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/diabetes.htm Low Carbing to Control Type II Diabetes
A Simple, Cheap Treatment with an Undeserved Bad Reputation Cutting your carbs, radically,
is a controversial but effective = strategy that increasing numbers of people with diabetes
are using to = keep their blood sugar levels within normal ranges without relying on =
medication.=20

There's no question it works. Cutting carb intake down to under = 60 grams a day will make a
radical decrease in the blood sugar levels of = almost everyone who can stick with a low
carb diet for a couple weeks.=20

If a Low Carb Diet Controls Diabetes, Why Isn't this Known? If you mention the topic to
friends or even some medical = professionals you are likely to hear that low carbing will
damage your = kidneys, raise your cholesterol and damage your health in every way =
possible.=20

Is this true?=20

For most people the answer is a rousing and reassuring, "No!"=20

Won't Low Carbing Hurt My Kidneys? The medical studies that show that high protein damages
kidneys = were done not only with a high protein, diet but with a high protein, = high
carbohydrate diet. If you accept Dr. Bernstein's contention that it = is the high glucose
levels caused by a high carbohydrate diet that = damages kidneys (and eyes, and the
peripheral vascular system) not the = protein itself, you can see why these studies are not
relevant to those = of us who keep our dietary carbohydrate to extremely low levels.=20

Furthermore, many low carb diets are not "high protein diets." = Think of it this way: if
you eat a hamburger on a bun, with ketchup, and = a side order of fries while I eat the meat
patty, no bun, no fries and a = salad with blue cheese dressing, we're eating the same
amount of = protein. But I'm eating a low carb meal that will not raise my blood = sugar,
even without medication, while your meal is high enough in = carbohydrates that it would
drive my blood sugar well over 200 mg/dl. Am = I on a "dangerous high protein" diet compared
to you? No. Yet the same = dieticians who prescribe 75 grams a meal to diabetics would
consider the = burger and bun to be a healthier diet choice!=20

Far from destroying kidneys, There's even some anecdotal = evidence that very low carb diet
may reverse early kidney disease. To = read about one woman's experience healing kidney
disease with a low carb = diet, read this newsgroup posting: Aramanth Dawes' Story=20

Dr. Richard Bernstein, a physician who has been a type I = diabetic since the 1940s also
reports reversing his own early diabetic = kidney disease and that of many patients
through the use of a low carb = diet. He explains the science behind how this can happen
in his = excellent bookDr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. It has just come out in = a
second, revised edition=20

Won't a High Fat Diet Raise My Cholesterol? A low carb diet gets most of its calories from
fat, which is why = people have assumed that these high fat levels must lead to damaging =
increases in cholesterol. But this is a false conclusion.=20

Many of the studies that were cited to show that a low = carbohydrate diet raised
cholesterol levels were done with diets = containing levels of carbohydrate of 150 grams a
day--which is high = enough to raise blood sugar to damaging levels and much higher than the
= carb levels that you must adopt to control blood sugar.=20

Several recent long term studies done with a true low = carbohydrate diet have shown that
when a high fat diet is combined with = very low carbohydrate levels, cholesterol generally
goes down or stays = the same, and triglycerides, which are implicated in heart disease
often = improve significantly.=20

To read up on the most recent medical research on the effects of = Low Carb diets on health,
visit this web page: = http://www.lowcarbresearch.org/lcr/lce_results.asp=20

Furthermore, recent research has shown that the low fat, high = carbohydrate diet doctors
have been recommending for decades appears to = cause liver inflammation.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/463483=20

Why isn't there More Research on Low Carb Diets? Almost all medical research in today's
world is sponsored by = drug companies. Not so coincidentally, this research tends to study
the = effects of drugs on various diseases. Since people with diabetes consume = more
expensive drugs than just about any other group in the population, = there is very little
motivation for drug companies to study non-drug = based intervention strategies that might
keep people from needing their = drugs.=20

In addition, low carbing was originally advocated by "get thin = quick" diet doctors of the
type who appear in infomercials. These people = are viewed as "snake oil salesmen" by much
of the public and have very = poor reputations in the medical community. These doctors never
submitted = well-documented research to peer reviewed journals despite their claims = that
they had helped "hundreds of thousands" of patients. As a result, = few legitimate
researchers would associate themselves with low carbing.=20

It is only in the past few years that this has changed. Studies = at Duke University, Ohio
State, Mount Sinai Hospital in Miami and Albert = Einstein Medical School have been
published in the last few years, all = reinforcing the once-radical idea that a low carb
diet can have major = health benefits. You can find these studies at =
http://www.lowcarbresearch.org/lcr/lce_results.asp=20

How Does Diabetes Cause Damage? What really causes the ravages of diabetes appears to be
high = blood sugar levels--particularly those that occur an hour or two after = meals.=20

What is a Dangerous Blood Sugar Level? Many practicing doctors still tell patients that any
blood sugar = level under 200 mg/dl after meals is fine. Unfortunately, when such =
standards are used by the time most patients are diagnosed with = diabetes, they have
already suffered significant diabetic complications. = Even worse, patients whose blood
sugar routinely rises to 200 mg/dl or = whose HBa1c tests, a measure of the long term blood
sugar level, is = above 8% deteriorate over time, continue to develop more and more =
"diabetic complications." Indeed, these complications occur to patients = whose blood sugars
are as low as 126 mg/dl for prolonged periods of time = and whose HBa1c's are at 6.0--
supposedly good measures of control.=20 What are "Diabetic Complications"? The term
"Diabetic Complications" is a euphemism doctors use to = describe the ugly things that
happen to people whose blood sugar is out = of control. What it really means is "blindness,
amputation, and death".=20

High blood sugars destroy nerves in legs. The first symptoms are = tingling and pain,
eventually the limbs become numb and fair to heal = from small injuries that become infected
and eventually turn gangrenous. =

High blood sugar levels also destroy vision, which is why people = with long standing
diabetes often go blind.=20

High blood sugar is toxic to the filtration units in the = kidneys. That's why long term
diabetics end up on dialysis.=20

And if all this isn't bad enough, diabetics suffer heart attacks = far more frequently than
other people, though the exact mechanism is not = completely understood.=20

To add to the misery, there's mounting evidence that these high = levels of glucose are
toxic to the beta cells of the pancreas which make = the insulin the body uses to bring the
high blood sugar levels back = down. This ugly feedback loop that means that the higher your
blood = sugar, the less you are able to bring it down.=20

Controlling Blood Sugar Prevents Complications If the previous paragraphs scared you, you
can take comfort from = the fact, shown by research, that though high blood sugar levels
damage = your body, lowering those blood sugar levels can prevent or even reverse = this
damage.=20

A famous ten year study by the NIH summarized here found that = people with type I diabetes
could avoid complications by keeping their = blood sugar under what they called "good
control." If you read the = summary you may still come away saying, "But too many of these
patients = still developed complications despite their good control."=20

That is true, but there is more good news here! The blood sugar = level the NIH study
defined as "good control", 8%, was far higher than = the level that is now being recommended
to people with Type II diabetes. = This gives hope that using great control as opposed to
good control may = prevent far more complications.=20

How High is Too High In the past five years it has become clear to those who treat =
diabetes for a living that blood sugar levels over 120 mg/dl sustained = over any
significant period of time do this damage. Read the details in = this article:
Endocrinologists Recommend Lower Diabetes Screening Levels =

An interesting piece of research about heart disease published = by the American Diabetes
Association includes even more data about the = blood sugar levels that correspond with very
low heart disease risk. = Click here to read it.=20

The Joslin Diabetes Center suggests that a normal blood sugar = level will not spike above
140 mg/dl one hour after a meal and 120 mg/dl = two hours after a meal. They also say that
fasting and pre-meal blood = sugar levels should be under 110 mg/dl. click here for a PDF
chart = containing this data. This is very conservative, but these levels are = still much
lower than those many doctors suggest to their diabetic = patients.=20

The standard advice given by most doctors now is that the = recommended level for the hb1ac
test is now 6.5%. (The level defined as = "good control" in the NIH study was 8.0%.)
However, the level = recommended as truly normal by Dr. Richard Bernstein and validated by =
the American Diabetes Association heart disease study is 4.7%. Dr. = Bernstein maintains
that truly normal people--not those already well on = the way to diabetes who are too often
mixed into the statistical groups = in these studies--maintain a blood sugar level of 85
mg/dl no matter = what they eat or when they test. He recommends that people with diabetes =
who want to avoid complications shoot for this number. (He is using = blood plasma values
which is important to note if your meter gives you a = choice. They are lower than the
"whole blood" levels many meters use.)=20

But what is significant is that many people with diabetes, once = they are given the tools,
can and do bring their blood sugars down to = these levels, often with nothing more than
changes in their diet.=20

So How Do I bring My Sugar Levels Down? If you've just been diagnosed with a blood sugar
level in the = 500s or an hb1ac of 12.0, you may find these figures frightening and =
depressing. But there's no reason to despair. The good news is that you = can lower your
blood sugar to these levels within a few weeks or months. =

The key is to understand that most of us with diabetes can not = handle more than 10 to 15
grams of carbohydrates at one meal without = causing our blood sugar to spike too high.=20

You don't have to take my word for it. Note the number of carbs = in a typical meal when you
eat it, then use your blood sugar meter to = test your blood sugar one and two hours later.
Then eat a meal with only = 12 grams of carbs way down three hours later and repeat your
hourly = testing. You should see a significant difference between your readings. = If you
cut your carbs to 12 grams or less for every meal and snack for a = week or two you should
start seeing a dramatic lowering of your post = meal and fasting blood sugar.=20

If you need help determining the number of carbs in your meal, = download this excellent
piece of shareware LifeForm. It's shareware. Or = use http://www.fitday.com an online
nutrition counting web site.=20

Medications and Low Carbing If you are on a medication like Glyburide that forces the =
pancreas to produce more insulin you need to talk to your doctor if you = plan to cut your
carbs down very low because without a huge dose of = carbs in your system, these drugs can
cause harmful hypos.=20

Drugs like Metformin (Glucophage), Avandia, and Actos, which = work on your cell's insulin
resistance, should not cause problems if you = are low carbing.=20

Jennifer's Advice to Newbies New visitors to the alt.support.diabetes newsgroup have long =
been greeted by a newsgroup regular, Jennifer, with this message which = has proven
extremely helpful to many. Visit Jennifer's web site to read = it yourself: Jennifer's
Smart Advice=20

If you want to learn more about how to test and control your = diabetes, Gretchen Becker's
book, Type II Diabetes: The First Year is a = great place to start as is Richard
Bernstein, M.D.'s Doctor Bernstein's = Diabetes Solution. Both are available via Amazon.
If you want to learn = more about low carb dieting, I recommend Protein Power by the
Eades. It = has excellent scientific explanations and the charts of foods and their = carb
values is very helpful to the beginner. You do need to read up on = the mechanics of how
to make a low carb diet work, because there is a = lot more to it than can be explained on
any single web page.=20

As you craft your new low carb diet plan, you can find a host of = useful information in the
alt.support.diet.low-carb newsgroup. Use = Google Advanced Groups Search to find information
that may have been = posted in the past. There are many recipes, tips, tricks, and warnings
= about the many foods with "hidden carbs" that cause unexpected blood = sugar spikes.=20

EMAIL Jenny - cut the carbs from the address to contact me!=20

"Anglea Woollcombe" <[email protected]> wrote in = message
news:[email protected]... i am looking for a website that has
info on no sugar no flour = diet. it needs to have a diet plan and info about the diet.
i am = looking for info for my mother. she wants to start it after the holidays. i =
tried the web but couldn't find any good sites. will look there again. hoping to find
something out here

thanks angie

------=_NextPart_000_0555_01C3D64A.625F90E0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-
Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-
Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4912.300"
name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#800080>I have e-mailed you = too.</FONT></DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#800080>My real addy is: <A=20
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A></FONT></D=

<><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#800080>Cheers,</FONT> <BR>Vanessa = In OZ=20
:)<BR>(273-212- goal 160)<BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20 style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; = BORDER-
LEFT: #800080 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<>"Anglea Woollcombe" <<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>>= wrote=20 in message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:KUqJb.18=
[email protected]</A>...</DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>venassa</FONT></DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>i have sent you and e mail in regards = to the info=20 that you said
you had. if you like you can e mail me personally with = any of=20 the info. i would be greatly
appriated for it. thanks again for your = help=20 </FONT></DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>angie</FONT></DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20 style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT:
0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; = BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<>"Celtic Gal (Vanessa)" <<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</=
A>>=20
wrote in message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:[email protected]= .com.au</A>...</DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#800080>Hi Angie,</FONT></DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#800080>If you want to e-mail me = (just remove=20 the nospam)
and I will send you some stuff.</FONT></DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#800080>Cheers,</FONT></DIV>
<>Vanessa In OZ :)<BR>Overall (Was 273- Current 214- Goal 160 to =

140)</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20 style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-
LEFT: 5px; = BORDER-LEFT: #800080 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<>"Anglea Woollcombe" <<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>>=
=20
wrote in message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:sKdJb.13=
[email protected]</A>...</DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>thank you so much i will = defenitly check it=20 out. maybe i
can even find some ideas for myself.</FONT></DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>thanks again for the info=20 vanessa</FONT></DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>angie</FONT></DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>ps anything else would be=20 greatfull</FONT></DIV>
<> </DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20 style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-
LEFT: 5px; = BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<DIV>"Celtic Gal (Vanessa)" <<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</=
A>>=20
wrote in message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:[email protected]= .com.au</A>...</DIV>
<DIW><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#800080>Hi Angie,</FONT></DIV>
<DIX><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#800080>Jenny has a heap of info = on her=20
site.</FONT></DIV>
<DIY><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#800080>Just click the link = below and then=20 go to "home"
and check out all her other pages.</FONT></DIV>
<DIZ><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#800080>Best of luck finding = some good info.=20
P.S. Below is an example of what is on Jenny's site (hope she = doesn't=20 mind me copying
from her site....) <G>.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#800080>Vanessa :)</FONT></DIV>
<DIW><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#800080></FONT> </DIV>
<DIX>
<DIY><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#800080>
<DIY1><A = href=3D"http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/diabetes.htm"><FONT=20
color=3D#0000ff=20
=
size=3D2>http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/diabetes.htm</FONT></A><= /H1>
<DIY2>Low Carbing to Control Type II Diabetes</H1>
<DIY3>A Simple, Cheap Treatment with an Undeserved Bad = Reputation</H2>
<DIZ>Cutting your carbs, radically, is a controversial but = effective=20 strategy that
increasing numbers of people with diabetes are = using to=20 keep their blood sugar
levels within normal ranges without = relying on=20 medication.=20
<DIZ>There's no question it works. Cutting carb intake down to = under 60=20 grams a day
will make a radical decrease in the blood sugar = levels of=20 almost everyone who can
stick with a low carb diet for a couple = weeks.=20
<DIZ1>If a Low Carb Diet Controls Diabetes, Why Isn't this = Known?</H3>
<DIZ>If you mention the topic to friends or even some medical=20 professionals you are
likely to hear that low carbing will = damage your=20 kidneys, raise your cholesterol
and damage your health in every = way=20 possible.=20
<DIZ>Is this true?=20
<DIZ>For most people the answer is a rousing and reassuring, "No!" =

<DIZ1>Won't Low Carbing Hurt My Kidneys?</H3>
<DIZ>The medical studies that show that high protein damages = kidneys were=20 done not only
with a high protein, diet but with a high protein, =
<DIZ>high=20 carbohydrate diet</B>. If you accept Dr. Bernstein's contention = that it=20 is the
high glucose levels caused by a high carbohydrate diet = that=20 damages kidneys (and eyes, and
the peripheral vascular system) = not the=20 protein itself, you can see why these studies are
not relevant = to those=20 of us who keep our dietary carbohydrate to extremely low levels. =

<DIZ>Furthermore, many low carb diets are not "high protein = diets." Think=20 of it this
way: if you eat a hamburger on a bun, with ketchup, = and a=20 side order of fries
while I eat the meat patty, no bun, no fries = and a=20 salad with blue cheese
dressing, we're eating the same amount of =

protein. But I'm eating a low carb meal that will not raise my = blood=20 sugar, even
without medication, while your meal is high enough = in=20 carbohydrates that it would drive
my blood sugar well over 200 = mg/dl. Am=20 I on a "dangerous high protein" diet compared to
you? No. Yet = the same=20 dieticians who prescribe 75 grams a meal to diabetics would =
consider the=20 burger and bun to be a healthier diet choice!=20
<DIZ>Far from destroying kidneys, There's even some anecdotal = evidence=20 that very low
carb diet may reverse early kidney disease. To = read about=20 one woman's experience
healing kidney disease with a low carb = diet, read=20 this newsgroup posting: <A=20
=
href=3D"http://www.google.com/groups?q=3Dinsubject:kidney+author:aramanth= &hl=3Den&lr=3Dlang_en&ie=3DUTF-
8&safe=3Doff&selm=3D38= qfescar7ieb196i2n21fh0mgsjp16l36%404ax.com&rnum=3D3">Aramanth=20
Dawes' Story</A>=20
<DIZ>Aa. Richard Bernstein, a physician who has been a type I = diabetic=20 since the 1940s
also reports reversing his own early diabetic = kidney=20 disease and that of many
patients through the use of a low carb = diet. He=20 explains the science behind
how this can happen in his excellent = book<A=20
=
href=3D"http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/readit/readit.shtml">Dr.=20 Bernstein's Diabetes
Solution</A>. It has just come out in a = second,=20 revised edition=20
<H3>Won't a High Fat Diet Raise My Cholesterol?</H3>
<I>A low carb diet gets most of its calories from fat, which is = why=20 people have
assumed that these high fat levels must lead to = damaging=20 increases in cholesterol.
But this is a false conclusion.=20
<J>Many of the studies that were cited to show that a low = carbohydrate=20 diet raised
cholesterol levels were done with diets containing = levels of=20 carbohydrate of 150
grams a day--which is high enough to raise = blood=20 sugar to damaging levels and much
higher than the carb levels = that you=20 must adopt to control blood sugar.=20
<K>Several recent long term studies done with a true low = carbohydrate=20 diet have shown
that when a high fat diet is combined with very = low=20 carbohydrate levels,
cholesterol generally goes down or stays = the same,=20 and triglycerides, which are
implicated in heart disease often = improve=20 significantly.=20
<L>To read up on the most recent medical research on the effects = of Low=20 Carb diets on
health, visit this web page: <A=20
=
href=3D"http://www.lowcarbresearch.org/lcr/lce_results.asp">http://www.lo=
wcarbresearch.org/lcr/lce_results.asp</A>=20

<M>Furthermore, recent research has shown that the low fat, high =

carbohydrate diet doctors have been recommending for decades = appears to=20 cause liver
inflammation. <A=20
=
href=3D"http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/463483">http://www.medscape.c=
om/viewarticle/463483</A>=20

<M1>Why isn't there More Research on Low Carb Diets?</H3>
<N>Almost all medical research in today's world is sponsored by = drug=20 companies. Not
so coincidentally, this research tends to study = the=20 effects of drugs on various
diseases. Since people with diabetes = consume=20 more expensive drugs than just about
any other group in the = population,=20 there is very little motivation for drug
companies to study = non-drug=20 based intervention strategies that might keep people
from = needing their=20 drugs.=20
<O>In addition, low carbing was originally advocated by "get = thin quick"=20 diet doctors
of the type who appear in infomercials. These = people are=20 viewed as "snake oil
salesmen" by much of the public and have = very poor=20 reputations in the medical
community. These doctors never = submitted=20 well-documented research to peer reviewed
journals despite their = claims=20 that they had helped "hundreds of thousands" of
patients. As a = result,=20 few legitimate researchers would associate themselves with
low = carbing.=20
<P>It is only in the past few years that this has changed. = Studies at=20 Duke
University, Ohio State, Mount Sinai Hospital in Miami and = Albert=20 Einstein Medical
School have been published in the last few = years, all=20 reinforcing the once-radical
idea that a low carb diet can have = major=20 health benefits. You can find these
studies at <A=20
=
href=3D"http://www.lowcarbresearch.org/lcr/lce_results.asp">http://www.lo=
wcarbresearch.org/lcr/lce_results.asp</A>=20

<P1>How Does Diabetes Cause Damage?</H3>
<Q>What really causes the ravages of diabetes appears to be high = blood=20 sugar levels--
particularly those that occur an hour or two after = meals.=20
<Q1>What is a Dangerous Blood Sugar Level?</H3>Many practicing = doctors=20 still tell
patients that any blood sugar level under 200 mg/dl = after=20 meals is fine.
Unfortunately, when such standards are used by = the time=20 most patients are
diagnosed with diabetes, they have already = suffered=20 significant diabetic
complications. Even worse, patients whose = blood=20 sugar routinely rises to 200
mg/dl or whose HBa1c tests, a = measure of=20 the long term blood sugar level, is
above 8% deteriorate over = time,=20 continue to develop more and more "diabetic
complications." = Indeed,=20 these complications occur to patients whose blood sugars
are as = low as=20 126 mg/dl for prolonged periods of time and whose HBa1c's are at =

6.--supposedly good measures of control.=20
<Q2>What are "Diabetic Complications"?</H3>
<R>The term "Diabetic Complications" is a euphemism doctors use = to=20 describe the ugly
things that happen to people whose blood sugar = is out=20 of control. What it really
means is "blindness, amputation, and = death".=20
<S>High blood sugars destroy nerves in legs. The first symptoms = are=20 tingling and
pain, eventually the limbs become numb and fair to = heal=20 from small injuries that
become infected and eventually turn = gangrenous.=20

<T>High blood sugar levels also destroy vision, which is why = people with=20 long
standing diabetes often go blind.=20
<U>High blood sugar is toxic to the filtration units in the = kidneys.=20 That's why long
term diabetics end up on dialysis.=20
<V>And if all this isn't bad enough, diabetics suffer heart = attacks far=20 more
frequently than other people, though the exact mechanism is = not=20 completely
understood.=20
<W>To add to the misery, there's mounting evidence that these = high=20 levels of glucose
are toxic to the beta cells of the pancreas = which make=20 the insulin the body uses
to bring the high blood sugar levels = back=20 down. This ugly feedback loop that means
that the higher your = blood=20 sugar, the less you are able to bring it down.=20
<W1>Controlling Blood Sugar Prevents Complications</H3>
<X>If the previous paragraphs scared you, you can take comfort = from the=20 fact, shown
by research, that though high blood sugar levels = damage your=20 body, lowering those
blood sugar levels can prevent or even = reverse this=20 damage.=20
<Y>A famous ten year study by the NIH <A=20
=
href=3D"http://diabetes.about.com/library/blNIHDCCT.htm">summarized=20 here</A> found that people
with type I diabetes could avoid=20 complications by keeping their blood sugar under what they =
called "good=20 control." If you read the summary you may still come away = saying, "But=20 too many
of these patients still developed complications despite = their=20 good control."=20
<Z>That is true, but there is more good news here! The blood = sugar level=20 the NIH
study defined as "good control", 8%, was far higher than = the=20 level that is now
being recommended to people with Type II = diabetes.=20 This gives hope that using
<I>great</I> control as opposed to =
<I>good=20 </I>control may prevent far more complications.=20
<W2>How High is Too High</H3>
<X>In the past five years it has become clear to those who treat =

diabetes for a living that blood sugar levels over 120 mg/dl = sustained=20 over any
significant period of time do this damage. Read the = details in=20 this article: <A=20
=
href=3D"http://www.endo-nurses.org/documents/worldleaders.doc">Endocrinol= ogists=20 Recommend Lower
Diabetes Screening Levels</A>=20
<Y>An interesting piece of research about heart disease = published by the=20 American
Diabetes Association includes even more data about the = blood=20 sugar levels that
correspond with very low heart disease risk. = <A=20
=
href=3D"http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/26/2/485?ma=
xtoshow=3D&HITS=3D50&hits=3D50&RESULTFORMAT=3D&fulltext=3D=
neuropathy+hba1c&searchid=3D1065583705038_902&stored_search=3D&am=
p;FIRSTINDEX=3D0&sortspec=3Ddate&fdate=3D1/1/2002&journalcode=
=3Ddiacare">Click=20
here </A>to read it.=20
<Z>The Joslin Diabetes Center suggests that a normal blood sugar = level=20 will not
spike above 140 mg/dl one hour after a meal and 120 = mg/dl two=20 hours after a meal.
They also say that fasting and pre-meal = blood sugar=20 levels should be under 110
mg/dl. <A=20
=
href=3D"http://www.upstate.edu/uhpated/pdf/diabetes/goalbldsug.pdf">click=
=20
here </A>for a PDF chart containing this data. This is very=20 conservative, but these
levels are still much lower than those = many=20 doctors suggest to their diabetic
patients.=20
<Z>The standard advice given by most doctors now is that the = recommended=20 level for
the hb1ac test is now 6.5%. (The level defined as = "good=20 control" in the NIH study
was 8.0%.) However, the level = recommended as=20 truly normal by Dr. Richard Bernstein
and validated by the <A=20
=
href=3D"http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/26/2/485?ma=
xtoshow=3D&HITS=3D50&hits=3D50&RESULTFORMAT=3D&fulltext=3D=
neuropathy+hba1c&searchid=3D1065583705038_902&stored_search=3D&am=
p;FIRSTINDEX=3D0&sortspec=3Ddate&fdate=3D1/1/2002&journalcode=
=3Ddiacare">American=20
Diabetes Association heart disease study </A>is 4.7%. Dr. = Bernstein=20 maintains that
truly normal people--not those already well on = the way to=20 diabetes who are too often
mixed into the statistical groups in = these=20 studies--maintain a blood sugar level of 85
mg/dl no matter what = they=20 eat or when they test. He recommends that people with
diabetes = who want=20 to avoid complications shoot for this number. (He is using blood =
plasma=20 values which is important to note if your meter gives you a = choice. They=20 are
lower than the "whole blood" levels many meters use.)=20
<Z>But what is significant is that many people with diabetes, = once they=20 are given the
tools, can and do bring their blood sugars down to = these=20 levels, often with
nothing more than changes in their diet.=20
<Z1>So How Do I bring My Sugar Levels Down?</H3>
<Z>If you've just been diagnosed with a blood sugar level in the = 500s or=20 an hb1ac of
12.0, you may find these figures frightening and = depressing.=20 But there's no reason
to despair. The good news is that you can = lower=20 your blood sugar to these levels
within a few weeks or months.=20
<Z>
<Z>The key is to understand that most of us with diabetes can = not handle=20 more than 10
to 15 grams of carbohydrates at one meal without = causing=20 our blood sugar to spike
too high.=20
<Z>You don't have to take my word for it. Note the number of = carbs in a=20 typical meal
when you eat it, then use your blood sugar meter to = test=20 your blood sugar one and
two hours later. Then eat a meal with = only 12=20 grams of carbs way down three hours
later and repeat your hourly =

testing. You should see a significant difference between your = readings.=20 If you cut your
carbs to 12 grams or less for every meal and = snack for a=20 week or two you should start
seeing a dramatic lowering of your = post=20 meal and fasting blood sugar.=20
<Z>If you need help determining the number of carbs in your = meal,=20 download this
excellent piece of shareware <A=20 href=3D"http://www.fitnesoft.com/">LifeForm</A>.
It's shareware. = Or use <A=20 href=3D"http://www.fitday.com/">http://www.fitday.com
</A>an = online=20 nutrition counting web site.=20
<Z1>Medications and Low Carbing</H3>
<Z>If you are on a medication like Glyburide that forces the = pancreas to=20 produce more
insulin you need to talk to your doctor if you plan = to cut=20 your carbs down very
low because without a huge dose of carbs in = your=20 system, these drugs can cause
harmful hypos.=20
<Z>Drugs like Metformin (Glucophage), Avandia, and Actos, which = work on=20 your cell's
insulin resistance, should not cause problems if you = are low=20 carbing.=20
<Z1>Jennifer's Advice to Newbies</H3>
<Z>New visitors to the <A=20 href=3D"news:alt.support.diabetes">alt.support.diabetes</A> =
newsgroup have=20 long been greeted by a newsgroup regular, Jennifer, with this =
message=20 which has proven extremely helpful to many. Visit Jennifer's web = site
to=20 read it yourself: <A = href=3D"http://jennifer.flyingrat.net/">Jennifer's=20
Smart Advice</A>=20
<Z>If you want to learn more about how to test and control your=20 diabetes, Gretchen
Becker's book, <I><B>Type II Diabetes: The = First Year=20 </I></B>is a great place to
start as is Richard Bernstein, =
Z.A.'s=20
<Z><B>Doctor Bernstein's Diabetes Solution</I></B>. Both are = available=20 via Amazon. If
you want to learn more about low carb dieting, I=20 recommend <I><B>Protein
Power</I></B> by the Eades. It has = excellent=20 scientific explanations and the
charts of foods and their carb = values is=20 very helpful to the beginner. You do
need to read up on the = mechanics of=20 how to make a low carb diet work, because
there is a lot more to = it than=20 can be explained on any single web page.=20
<Z>As you craft your new low carb diet plan, you can find a host = of=20 useful
information in the <A=20
=
href=3D"news:alt.support.diet.low-carb">alt.support.diet.low-carb</A>=20 newsgroup. Use Google
Advanced Groups Search to find information = that=20 may have been posted in the past. There are
many recipes, tips, = tricks,=20 and warnings about the many foods with "hidden carbs" that cause =

unexpected blood sugar spikes.=20 <CENTER>
<Z><A href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">EMAIL </A>Jenny =
- cut the=20 carbs from the address to contact me! = </P></CENTER></FONT></DIV></DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: = 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #800080 2px
solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<DIV>"Anglea Woollcombe" <<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>>=
=20
wrote in message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:nnDIb.988=
[email protected]</A>...</DIV>i=20 am looking for a website that has info on no
sugar no flour=20 diet.<BR>it needs to have a diet plan and info about the diet. = i am=20 looking
for info<BR>for my mother. she wants to start it after = the=20 holidays. i tried the web
but<BR>couldn't find any good sites. = will=20 look there again.<BR>hoping to find something out=20
=
here<BR><BR>thanks<BR>angie<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE=
></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0555_01C3D64A.625F90E0--

I tell ya, it was the worst feeling I have had in a long time - took me forever to stop shaking. I
let the kids know I didn't appreciate the call and that I plan on not receiving one in the future
(they did see the humor in it though). I wonder if the officer did feel chastised though. He was
supposed to call this evening, but didn't. Maybe he looked at his clock this time and realized it
was a bit late to be making the call? I can only hope! LOL

Joyce

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 06:41:11 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote:

>GRRR! I can imagine EXACTLY how you were feeling in the family room waiting to find out whose
>funeral you were planning (either because someone was already dead or would be after you got done
>with them for whatever trouble they'd gotten themselves into). Bet you lived at least six lifetimes
>in those few minutes. VERY glad to hear it wasn't an emergency. I hope the office feels
>appropriately chastised.
>
>Prairie Roots
>
>On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 02:18:17 -0600, Joyce <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Ohhhhhhh, I really try to avoid that frozen water. My neighbor fell on her outdoor stairs several
>>years ago, broke her ankle. It was evening and she was alone. She laid outside for about 20
>>minutes before anyone heard her yelling. Dang scary! Today is the first ice I've seen this season,
>>so hasn't been too hard to avoid it. I am constantly telling my kids to be careful, they
>>constantly roll there eyes at me. BUT ... I learned last evening that I DO NOT enjoy getting phone
>>calls at 10:30PM from the local police. They are idiots, have no common sense. Phone rings, I
>>answer .. am greeted with, "hello, this is officer soandso from the glen ellyn police department
>>(in a very deep, serious official voice). I'm looking for Michael (which also happens to be my
>>sons given name, although no one calls him that)." I took a deep breath and squeaked out,
>>"senior?" his reply, "I think that would be right".
>>
>><heavy sigh>
>>
>>Hub took the rest of the phone call in the other room, I was left shaking in the family room. I
>>finally walked in on him and blurted out, ARE THE KIDS OK? Finally got an answer, and the officer
>>did apologize - said he worked the night shift so never thought about NOT calling at that time
>>period, or stating immediately that it was not an emergency call. Geeeeeesh! Anyway, he was
>>calling because we have some handguns of our uncles that we want to get rid of, but are unsure how
>>to legally do so. They are currently in a safety deposit box, and neither of us have handgun
>>permits so were unsure as to legality of transporting them. Questions are answered and hopefully
>>we can get them out of our possession.
>>
>>Joyce
>>
>>On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 22:00:17 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>So far, I've managed to avoid flying frozen food.
>>>
>>>But I haven't been as lucky with stationary frozen water. I've already had one nasty spill on the
>>>ice, falling straight forward and doing a belly flop. Near knocked the wind out of me! I was sore
>>>for a day or two but no injuries more serious than a scraped knee. I guess I need someone to tell
>>>me the same thing I told my daughters every time they stepped outside: Be careful!
>>>
>>>Prairie Roots

Guess they figure if they are up, everyone else must be. I was raised with the rule, phone calls are
not placed after 9:30PM - still carry it with me now, and have passed it on to my kids. The purpose
of my parents doing this was courtesy. You never have any idea what time people go to bed, so don't
take a chance on waking them unless it's an emergency situation. So in my mind, if the phone rings
past that time - it isn't going to be anything good. <g> My kids even know that if they call me late
in the evening, call my cell phone. Dad goes to bed early, and is up very early ... mom is always
up. LOL Dad doesn't hear my cell phone, but the house phone will get him up every time.

Joyce

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 10:02:39 -0600, "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>> unsure how to legally do so. They are currently in a safety deposit box,
>and
>> neither of us have handgun permits so were unsure as to legality of
>transporting
>> them. Questions are answered and hopefully we can get them out of our
>possession.
>>
>> Joyce
>>
>> On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 22:00:17 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >So far, I've managed to avoid flying frozen food.
>> >
>> >But I haven't been as lucky with stationary frozen water. I've already had one nasty spill on
>> >the ice, falling straight forward and doing a belly flop. Near knocked the wind out of me! I was
>> >sore for a day or two but no injuries more serious than a scraped knee. I guess I need someone
>> >to tell me the same thing I told my daughters every time they stepped outside: Be careful!

good point, Lee
Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> And considering what could be happening in alleys, boring is very very good. The most exciting
> thing going on back there is me trying not to fall flat on my face.
>
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 02:21:20 -0600, "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >well bummer that's kinda boring, Lee, who is glad to hear somebody's neighbors are responsible
> >Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> Hey watch it, you're talking about the street where I live! LOL Actually in my 100-year-old
> >> section of the city (my house was built in
> >> 1906), alleys provide the only access to our garages/off-street parking, and where the city
> >> insists we keep our garbage cans for sanitation pickup. I fell walking behind my car.
> >> Actually I'm more apt to encounter rabbits and squirrels than I am stray dogs and cats.
> >> The city seems pretty good about picking them up and the neighbors responsible about
> >> keeping their pets as pets.

> >lit

> >already
> >they

> >had
> >breasts.
> >those

> >hit
> >capacity,
> >diet -

> >the
> >not
message
> >shouldn't
> >slice
> >of a
> >Maybe
> >or

> >am

> >> Prairie Roots
> >> 232/167/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003
> >

> Prairie Roots
> 232/167/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

it is huge and we are eating part of it tomorrow. I am hoping it is a
variety of regular avocado and not completely different. Lee
Brenda Hammond <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The size of a medium egg plant? Wow, that is large. I've never seen them that size here.
>
> "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> > your potato sounds like the avocado I bought on the same trip, it is
huge,
> > is called California avocado, and has smooth skin, what was I
thinking...
> is
> > the size of a medium sized egg plant, Lee, considering all that fat,,,
and
> > drooling Brenda Hammond <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I dropped a potato on my toe a few weeks ago. Man, did that hurt!
> Ended
> > up
> > > with a bruise from it. I know it sounds kind of weird, a potato doing
> > that
> > > much damage, but it was very large, in fact I cooked it for dinner and
> the
> > > three of us shared it. The only other time I've ever seen baked
> potatoes
> > > that large was when we were in Las Vegas in 2000.
> > >
> > > Brenda

> an
> > > entire
> > done.

> > > <[email protected]>

> hit
> > > the
> toe
> had
> > > dug
> breasts.
> > those
> > feet.

> > and
> hit
> > > top
> > capacity,
> > > Lee
> > diet -

> > the
> > > Dr.
> > > carb,
> not
> > > carb
> shouldn't
> > > be a
> > slice
> > > of
> of
> Maybe
> or

> > > notice:

> > message
> > flour
> am
> > > tried

You'll have to let us know how it is. I know that I'll never find them around here. The ones we have
are really small and hard as a rock. If you leave them to ripen they usually rot in some spots
before they're ripe. Needless to say, don't eat them often, but I do like them.
--
Brenda
209/176/150 RafL goal 165

"Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
berlin.de...
> it is huge and we are eating part of it tomorrow. I am hoping it is a variety of regular avocado
> and not completely different. Lee Brenda Hammond <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > The size of a medium egg plant? Wow, that is large. I've never seen
them
> > that size here.
> >
> > "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> > berlin.de...
> > > your potato sounds like the avocado I bought on the same trip, it is
> huge,
> > > is called California avocado, and has smooth skin, what was I
> thinking...
> > is
> > > the size of a medium sized egg plant, Lee, considering all that fat,,,
> and
> > > drooling Brenda Hammond <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > Ended
> > > up
> > > that
> > the
> > potatoes

> from
> > an
> > > done.

> > hit
> > toe
Someone
> > had
> > breasts.
> > > those
> > > feet.

> tonight
> > > and
> > hit
> > > capacity,
> > > diet -

> by
> > > the
> of
> > not
message
> > shouldn't
> > > slice
> > of
> > Maybe
> shape
> > or

> > > message
> > > flour
> > am
> holidays.

it had started to brown, it has the same flavor but the meat is
softer/fluffier if that makes sense. I think it would do really well in
mixed up sorts of thing though I just chomped mine. after DH took away the
skin and the seed the weight of it was about a pound of flesh, I ate four oz
right off, he threw out about five oz and there was about seven left. I
think I will get it again if I am making a dip but not otherwise, Lee