Anyone have the SRAM groupset yet?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Lawguy661, May 18, 2006.

1. ryanspeer

ryanspeer New Member

I wholeheartedly agree. I think it's really to road cycling's UN-benefit that there's so little competition for shifters, derrailleurs, etc. Being a former MTB'er back in the mid-90's, there was a plethora of different brakes, derrailleurs, hubs, cranks, etc., to choose from. Doesn't seem so with road components other than SOME cranks, some hubs, a couple of brakes, and . . . I think that about sums it up. Personally, I'd love to see some botique shifters, derrailleurs, cranks and brakes on the market. Maybe SRAM really entering the fray will spur on some more competition.

2. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

Agree competition is good. Problem I see is the patent rights that Shimano and Campy hold for shifting schemes. There are only so many ways to shift up and down that can be designed unless you start adding additional levers onto the brake hoods. .

Like the looks of those Rival chainrings though...cool design and finish on the big ring. Wish they had kept the same "mag look" on the crankarms.

3. allgoo19

allgoo19 New Member

Latest review here .

"Shifting has been the biggest joy, however. There has not been another group that engages shifts with as authoritative a commitment as the Force levers."

4. Luke Schierts

Luke Schierts New Member

got to ride this setup on a 07 Cannondale Systemsix. the shifting was very crisp on the rear, but I really had to focus on pushing the lever for the front all the way to get the shift. ( on the shimano if it dosent go all the way you can just give it another little tap to push it the rest of the way, but on the sram the little tap drops it all the way back down and you start all over) Im sure you could get used to it though. The biggest difference I noticed though was the ergonomics of the hoods, much smaller than shimano. I didnt care for it, but thats just a personal preference. The quality seems very good though and compatition in the market is always a win for the consumers.

5. BATMANs

BATMANs New Member

OK,

I just got it installed over the weekend on my Griffen Vulcan.

http://www.theforumlounge.com/v/BATMAN/?g2_page=10

http://www.theforumlounge.com/v/BATMAN/?g2_page=11

SHimano R700 compact crank

Force FD

Rival RD

Rival Brifters

Dura Ace 12/27 cassettes

EVERYTHING works great.

U re-wire urself in a matter of minutes.

Sorta hard to explain.

Dura ACe 7800 feels more precise and refine. THe lever pressure and feedback is more smooth.

But it's all apple, oranges and peaches trying to compare the 3 group.

Campi feels more intuitive for a novice, but once u get used to all 3 styles it comes down to rider preference.

SRAM and Campi are both rebuildable and all the cables are hidden for a cleaner look. Shimano is not.

Shimano brifters are shaped like an extended bar handle than the others. Shimano are heavier than the other 2.

It's clicky like a Campi. I find it ironic that SRAM is "going after Shimano" when these brifters feel and look more Campi.

I think it's a Toyota approach where they publicly state that they are not intersted in going after GM.

I talked to my LBS and they said that suppliers like that normally equip their bikes with Campi are going SRAM more than displacing the Shimano with SRAM.

Makes u wonder......

6. BATMANs

BATMANs New Member

IMHO i don't like the look of SRAM cranks and Campi for that matter.

looks dated.

IMHO the Dura Ace looks the best. That machined finish and aero shape is unparalleled....

7. zzrman

zzrman New Member

[​IMG]I had the SRAM Force groupset fitted on my new bike and I'm very pleased with it. Shifting is spot on and took about a nanosecond to get used to the 1 click 2 click routine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

I am thinking of getting a new set of 'brifters', cassette and RD, probably SRAM Rival. How do the brifters look in person, because the photos look quite chunky, and awful.

Other option is, shoul I take a leap and go to some Campy Centaur parts?

9. BATMANs

BATMANs New Member

Sorry about the picture quality. It looks better than that.

I pulled my lower back from nocturnal interloping with a female bipod the night before and was having problems holding the camera still due to the pinched nerve.

Grimacing is how I would best describe my situation.

10. wakked1

wakked1 New Member

The shifters are nice in person, midsize between the larger Shimano and smaller Campy.

11. MadTrack

MadTrack New Member

TheBroadbandRacer.com has a cool tech profile where one of SRAM's mechanics goes through the shiffting, gives you a good look how there system works differently. The ability to pull the shift lever to the drops seems pretty cool, and a genuine improvment on shimano and Campy.

http://www.thebroadbandracer.com/fly.aspx?taxid=58&layout=player&videoid=150

12. MadTrack

MadTrack New Member

13. IEatRice4Dinner

IEatRice4Dinner New Member

centaur!!!! :p

sram feels ok to me, i would probably ride it over shimano 10, shimano 9 felt damn good to me tho... but i like campy better

14. FreeHueco

FreeHueco New Member

I have a lovely box full of SRAM Force components at home which came in the mail on Friday. Now I just have to wait until my frame is built to try them out... I was debating between that and Ultegra (which would have been about $250 less), but went with SRAM due to the better looks (hey, I like all the titanium and carbon fiber bits!). Of course, I've always liked SRAM's stuff, having had an old gripshift on my mountain bike (I've actually never had Shimano shifters on a mountain bike).

If anyone wants the brakes that came with the set, it's item # 190093960515 on Ebay... I'm putting Paul's Neo-Retro Cantilevers on my new bike, so the brakes have to go. :)