Anyone here cycled across the US in 15 days or less ?

Moneer81

Jan 2, 2006
Hi,

I am planning on biking from west to east this spring. I have limited time and budget and I am not very interested in sightseeing but more interested in doing it in the least number of days possible.

A lot of people here have biked across the USA but most folks spent a month or two travelling around, camping and sight-seeing. Anyone done it in 2-3 weeks?

I might have a few questions and I can use lots of tips.

thanks.

I just looked at http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/ and Race Across America takes about 9 days.

3052 miles for RAAM means that if you want to cross using a similar path in 15 days you need to travel a little over 200 miles a day (with no rest days) Expand that to 20 days and you only have to average just over 150 mles each day, with no rest days.

what kind of bike are you going to use? how are you going to spend the nights(under the stars, in a tent, in a hotel)? how fit are you and how much can you do without, both physically and psychologically?

with the long days of summer, it's not too hard to average better than 100 miles per day, and i mean including days of horrendous weather (lightning storms, hurricanes, etc. when you can't ride). You may be able to do better than 120 per day average if you're fairly fit and can consider a tent and stove as un-needed luxuries. that means you put a whole day in the saddle even on consecutive rainy days, eat out of a can, and spend rainy nights under overpasses. unless you are relatively rich of course.

even then, you'll be doing quite well if you can do it in 3 weeks. people who take a month to do it are not poking around sightseeing.

to do it in 2 weeks, you'd have to be a professional athlete. people who do it in raam style are superstars who dedicate perhaps years of training, lots of money, and have support the whole distance.
if you're new to touring, i'd suggest a 2 or 3 nighter first, reduce your baggage, then see what you can do in a week, and then adjust your plans accordingly.

suggestions for equipment would include: an under 2 lb. sleeping bag, a 2 lb. bivy sack, a 1/2 lb. silicone coated tarp, 1/2 lb or less 3/4 sleeping pad, lightweight raingear at about 2 lbs for both top and bottom, at least 1 change of clothes, fork, spoon, cup and can opener (or swiss army knife), tiny towel, bandana, sunscreen, and tool kit. maybe an i-pod. and definitely don't forget a camera, (and keep it dry).

you can save money by eating right outside the supermarket and stealth camping often.

good luck

philso said:
what kind of bike are you going to use? how are you going to spend the nights(under the stars, in a tent, in a hotel)? how fit are you and how much can you do without, both physically and psychologically?

with the long days of summer, it's not too hard to average better than 100 miles per day, and i mean including days of horrendous weather (lightning storms, hurricanes, etc. when you can't ride). You may be able to do better than 120 per day average if you're fairly fit and can consider a tent and stove as un-needed luxuries. that means you put a whole day in the saddle even on consecutive rainy days, eat out of a can, and spend rainy nights under overpasses. unless you are relatively rich of course.

even then, you'll be doing quite well if you can do it in 3 weeks. people who take a month to do it are not poking around sightseeing.

to do it in 2 weeks, you'd have to be a professional athlete. people who do it in raam style are superstars who dedicate perhaps years of training, lots of money, and have support the whole distance.
if you're new to touring, i'd suggest a 2 or 3 nighter first, reduce your baggage, then see what you can do in a week, and then adjust your plans accordingly.

suggestions for equipment would include: an under 2 lb. sleeping bag, a 2 lb. bivy sack, a 1/2 lb. silicone coated tarp, 1/2 lb or less 3/4 sleeping pad, lightweight raingear at about 2 lbs for both top and bottom, at least 1 change of clothes, fork, spoon, cup and can opener (or swiss army knife), tiny towel, bandana, sunscreen, and tool kit. maybe an i-pod. and definitely don't forget a camera, (and keep it dry).

you can save money by eating right outside the supermarket and stealth camping often.

good luck
This is all good advice. There are a few other factors. In many areas, it's a long way between water stops, so you have to carry a lot of water, and maybe some food. This gets heavy. I've always had a fairly loaded bicycle on my tours, which precludes high speeds. The mentioned racers usually have a Sag vehicle carrying all their gear.

Keep in mind that running 150 mile days for a long number of consecutive days is usually done sleeping in decent beds and eating decently (a.k.a., motels and restaurants).