Anyone here doing the BV half century ride?

ghostgum

New Member
Aug 30, 2005
Yes, I know it isn't long, but I've never ridden over the West Gate
Bridge before. If I rode to and from the city I could make it up to
the 100km.

For those who have ridden across the bridge before, are there
restrictions on stopping and pulling out the camera at the top?

I understand they don't appreciate the stop @ the top for a look-see & pic, but it seems to happen quite a bit whenever there's an event on.

ghostgum wrote:
> Yes, I know it isn't long, but I've never ridden over the West Gate
> Bridge before. If I rode to and from the city I could make it up to
> the 100km.
>
> For those who have ridden across the bridge before, are there
> restrictions on stopping and pulling out the camera at the top?

Last time I did it there were people telling you not to stop, but heaps
of people were stopping quickly and getting away with it anyway.

--
Nick

"ghostgum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Yes, I know it isn't long, but I've never ridden over the West Gate
> Bridge before. If I rode to and from the city I could make it up to
> the 100km.
>
> For those who have ridden across the bridge before, are there
> restrictions on stopping and pulling out the camera at the top?
>

> --
> ghostgum

I don't think bicycles are allowed on the bridge. Motorised traffic only...I
would have dearly liked to have been able to ride it a few weeks ago...would
have been a nice direct line home.

"Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "ghostgum" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Yes, I know it isn't long, but I've never ridden over the West Gate
>> Bridge before. If I rode to and from the city I could make it up to
>> the 100km.
>>
>> For those who have ridden across the bridge before, are there
>> restrictions on stopping and pulling out the camera at the top?
>>

>> --
>> ghostgum
>>

> I don't think bicycles are allowed on the bridge. Motorised traffic
> only...I would have dearly liked to have been able to ride it a few weeks
> ago...would have been a nice direct line home.

Pfeh...ignore me...sleep deprivation from doing too many essays.

Resound said:
"Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "ghostgum" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Yes, I know it isn't long, but I've never ridden over the West Gate
>> Bridge before. If I rode to and from the city I could make it up to
>> the 100km.
>>
>> For those who have ridden across the bridge before, are there
>> restrictions on stopping and pulling out the camera at the top?
>>

>> --
>> ghostgum
>>

> I don't think bicycles are allowed on the bridge. Motorised traffic
> only...I would have dearly liked to have been able to ride it a few weeks
> ago...would have been a nice direct line home.

Pfeh...ignore me...sleep deprivation from doing too many essays.
There is a punt (for cyclists and pedestrians) underneath it weekends and public holidays iirc. Check the BV website for more info.

ghostgum wrote:
> Yes, I know it isn't long, but I've never ridden over the West Gate
> Bridge before. If I rode to and from the city I could make it up to
> the 100km.
>
> For those who have ridden across the bridge before, are there
> restrictions on stopping and pulling out the camera at the top?

Greetings,
Officially, you're not supposed to stop, in practice I have a few
times when I've been up there. The view is okay but I wouldn't rave
about it.
Regards,
Ray.

Ray Peace said:

Officially, you're not supposed to stop, in practice I have a few
times when I've been up there. The view is okay but I wouldn't rave
about it.

Ok, so I'd get away with stopping to hold a camera at arms
length and take a picture of myself with the bridge behind,
but no panoramas :)