Anyone Here Long Term Unemployed? [Dec 2013]

Cycle Drama said:
...and as long as we continue to have a populous of uninformed voters along with the moochers....we will continue down this path.
"Moocher" is a common political slur.

No, "moocher" is a noun for the verb "mooch". M-W defines mooch as: to ask for and get things from other people without paying for them or doing anything for them

Oh...yer right, after all!

That DOES define a political demographic.

Quote by alien:
"And people who make loads of money can have more votes because they're even more responsible, right?"

If you don't have any skin in the game you you're better off letting the adults make the decisions.

Originally Posted by alienator

There you go! And people who make loads of money can have more votes because they're even more responsible, right? Your idea is just another version of a poll tax and differs little from voting laws being enacted to disenfranchise segments of the black and Hispanic communities
You are taking what I proposed and turning it into something else entirely. I don't really give a **** how much money someone makes. I don't care what color they are or what gender they are. What I'm saying is that if you're going to help decide direction, you should be contributing to the bank that will support it. It's really that simple. A vote is a vote is a vote. Whether you paid a billion in taxes or one dollar, you get a vote. If you didn't contribute at all however....

Your idea is just another version of a poll tax and differs little from voting laws being enacted to disenfranchise segments of the black and Hispanic communities
alienator,
Please advise which voting laws being enacted disenfranchise segments of the black and Hispanic communities?

Here in Wisconsin we passed a law requiring an ID to vote. Similar laws have been passed in other states and have held up as constitutional by the Supreme Court. In Wisconsin we also passed a provision to get the ID for free if anyone has financial issues to purchase one.

Thanks,
John S

Originally Posted by Cycle Drama
Here in Wisconsin we passed a law requiring an ID to vote. Similar laws have been passed in other states and have held up as constitutional by the Supreme Court. In Wisconsin we also passed a provision to get the ID for free if anyone has financial issues to purchase one.
For the life of me I fail to understand why ANYONE would have an issue of requiring an ID to vote...lol. I mean, it's just proof that you're a citizen, that's it!!! You wouldn't be voting to begin with if you aren't a citizen...right?????

Reactions: Cycle Drama
Originally Posted by Mansmind
A vote is a vote is a vote. Whether you paid a billion in taxes or one dollar, you get a vote. If you didn't contribute at all however....
I tend to agree.

I think the larger issue though is pandering to lobbyists, where billions of dollars can affect issues. I tend to disagree on the blanket statements surrounding illegals though, some who indeed may be lazy, however the ones to whom I have personally been exposed (of which I may be erroneous in my assumptions of legality) are some of the hardest working folks I've come across, i.e. the Mexican busboys and food delivery service in my neighborhood, who appear to work very long hours and take their jobs very seriously. I don't see them stealing anyone's job simply because most seem unwilling to work for the wages they do.

Upward mobility is a concept only available to those willing to start someplace and "work" their way up. Free handouts tend to dissuade that hard work. I'm not sure about the availability of social services to that demographic in far as I can remember those services were unavailable to me until I obtained a green card, a number of years after my legal arrival in the US, which however still didn't entitle me a vote. I do see some value in certain social services, like the unemployment insurance I purchased while employed, which have helped me stay afloat while jobless, and after school programs of which I'm certain help keep some young people from embracing thug life (regardless of race), or whatever one wants to call it, allowing them to become productive members of society when they are failed by their parents. I'm quite happy to contribute to those programs as well as the creation and maintenance of roads upon which I ride my bike.

It's unfortunate however that programs like NAFTA which promised unfettered advantage but which instead seem only to have hurt ordinary folks on both side of the fence, and which certainly precipitated the largest influx of these so called illegals, were allowed to pass. And now we have come full circle back to the corporate lobbies...

Quote by Mansmind:
"You wouldn't be voting to begin with if you aren't a citizen...right?????"

Uh...er...Google Cook County, Illinois. Lots of dead Democrats vote. Twice.

Hell, here in Ohio we had a Democrat NUN!!! A friggin' NUN!!! vote multiple times under multiple names. They will do anything to vote someone else's money to the Free **** Army©.

Quote by Dan:
"I don't see them stealing anyone's job simply because most seem unwilling to work for the wages they do."

Kick the illegals out and cut the welfare state off at the knees and you're going to find a whole lot of willing workers.

Unwilling and unable are two completely different concepts.

Originally Posted by danfoz
I tend to agree.

I think the larger issue though is pandering to lobbyists, where billions of dollars can affect issues. I tend to disagree on the blanket statements surrounding illegals though, some who indeed may be lazy, however the ones to whom I have personally been exposed (of which I may be erroneous in my assumptions of legality) are some of the hardest working folks I've come across, i.e. the Mexican busboys and food delivery service in my neighborhood, who appear to work very long hours and take their jobs very seriously. I don't see them stealing anyone's job simply because most seem unwilling to work for the wages they do.

Upward mobility is a concept only available to those willing to start someplace and "work" their way up. Free handouts tend to dissuade that hard work. I'm not sure about the availability of social services to that demographic in far as I can remember those services were unavailable to me until I obtained a green card, a number of years after my legal arrival in the US, which however still didn't entitle me a vote. I do see some value in certain social services, like the unemployment insurance I purchased while employed, which have helped me stay afloat while jobless, and after school programs of which I'm certain help keep some young people from embracing thug life (regardless of race), or whatever one wants to call it, allowing them to become productive members of society when they are failed by their parents. I'm quite happy to contribute to those programs as well as the creation and maintenance of roads upon which I ride my bike.

It's unfortunate however that programs like NAFTA which promised unfettered advantage but which instead seem only to have hurt ordinary folks on both side of the fence, and which certainly precipitated the largest influx of these so called illegals, were allowed to pass. And now we have come full circle back to the corporate lobbies...
Well said danfoz.......Well said!

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
Quote by Mansmind:
"You wouldn't be voting to begin with if you aren't a citizen...right?????"

Uh...er...Google Cook County, Illinois. Lots of dead Democrats vote. Twice.

Hell, here in Ohio we had a Democrat NUN!!! A friggin' NUN!!! vote multiple times under multiple names. They will do anything to vote someone else's money to the Free **** Army©.
Yeah I had a little sarcasm in my post.. this was my point.

Quote: I tend to disagree on the blanket statements surrounding illegals though, some who indeed may be lazy, however the ones to whom I have personally been exposed (of which I may be erroneous in my assumptions of legality) are some of the hardest working folks I've come across, i.e. the Mexican busboys and food delivery service in my neighborhood, who appear to work very long hours and take their jobs very seriously. I don't see them stealing anyone's job simply because most seem unwilling to work for the wages they do.

Absolutely Danfoz, I have seen the exact same thing. I KNOW it doesn't apply to everyone, unemployment has been a real issue, even for people that want to work. There exists however, and has for a long time, a percentage of our population that don't want to work. In many cases illegals have been willing to do that same work and therefore have been. In the meantime, the actual taxpayers are supporting those that didn't want to do that work...

Our welfare system, in many ways... doesn't create the incentive to get back to work, it does the opposite. I'm all about helping someone get back on their feet, but they need to be working toward that. Bottom line is I think local communities would do a better job with welfare than the federal government ever could. Just look at the mess that exists now.

Quote by Mansmind:
"Yeah I had a little sarcasm in my post.. this was my point."

Figured that. I was in complete agreement with you.

There's LOTS of incentive to game the system and lots of proof it's being done.

Mansmind said:
You are taking what I proposed and turning it into something else entirely.  I don't really give a **** how much money someone makes.  I don't care what color they are or what gender they are.  What I'm saying is that if you're going to help decide direction, you should be contributing to the bank that will support it.  It's really that simple.  A vote is a vote is a vote.  Whether you paid a billion in taxes or one dollar, you get a vote.  If you didn't contribute at all however....
So, who doesn't pay taxes? You know everyone pays taxes: sales tax, excise tax, and other taxes. So, in your eyes, the poor shouldn't get to vote on things that affect their rights? There well being? Those wealthier than them get to decide? Interesting. It's a poll tax. Look up what it means, because you apparently don't know what means.

Mansmind said:
Absolutely Danfoz, I have seen the exact same thing.  I KNOW it doesn't apply to everyone, unemployment has been a real issue, even for people that want to work.  There exists however, and has for a long time, a percentage of our population that don't want to work.  In many cases illegals have been willing to do that same work and therefore have been.  In the meantime, the actual taxpayers are supporting those that didn't want to do that work...  Our welfare system, in many ways...  doesn't create the incentive to get back to work, it does the opposite.  I'm all about helping someone get back on their feet, but they need to be working toward that.  Bottom line is I think local communities would do a better job with welfare than the federal government ever could.  Just look at the mess that exists now.
Find those people that don't want to work. I think your assuming things about those whom you choose to look down on. I think your revealing your own ugly biases. Oh well, cupcake. There will never be a poll tax as you suggest. Tough **** for you and your ilk I guess.

Cycle Drama said:
alienator,  Please advise which voting laws being enacted disenfranchise segments of the black and Hispanic communities? Here in Wisconsin we passed a law requiring an ID to vote. Similar laws have been passed in other states and have held up as constitutional by the Supreme Court. In Wisconsin we also passed a provision to get the ID for free if anyone has financial issues to purchase one. Thanks, John S
Virtually any of the laws enacted over the last two years. The voter ID law and the claimed problem with voting fraud is actually not a problem at all. Read that again: it's not a problem that exists. However, enacting such law will disproportionately affect the poor and black and hispanic communities. Interestingly, those are communities that tend to vote one way. Protest all you want. Your protestations won't trump the statement by the Pennsylvania Republican party representative who proudly claimed that such a voting law in PA would give Romney PA. So, I ask you again. Why is a voter ID law needed when there is not even a hint of a voter fraud problem? The need for it comes out of party one-think.

So, who doesn't pay taxes? You know everyone pays taxes: sales tax, excise tax, and other taxes.

So, in your eyes, the poor shouldn't get to vote on things that affect their rights? There well being? Those wealthier than them get to decide? Interesting.

It's a poll tax. Look up what it means, because you apparently don't know what means.
We are talking about federal elections are we not, stands to reason I'm talking about federal income taxes. Do I think someone should get to vote for an entitlement system they themselves are using? Nope, sure don't. I think the people footing the bill should be voting for or against it.

YOU need to read a little more clearly however. I said NOTHING about wealthy and/or poor. I said someone not paying taxes, period. I know plenty of poor people paying taxes. I've been one of them myself.

You are the only one talking about poll tax. I personally don't care what name you choose to put on it.

Find those people that don't want to work. I think your assuming things about those whom you choose to look down on. I think your revealing your own ugly biases.

Oh well, cupcake. There will never be a poll tax as you suggest. Tough **** for you and your ilk I guess.
I think you are assuming what you think I'm assuming. I'm not assuming anything... I see it frequently with my own two eyes. Even in my own business. You give people an opportunity, they decide it is too hard, etc. (for far more than minimum wage I might add) yet there is another person that loves the opportunity and excels. Part of that is human nature. There was a time in our existence that if you didn't hunt you didn't eat...at least eventually.

Well...you don't work you don't eat..eventually. Something else cupcake, you don't know me or where I've been (no more than I know you). I've been on BOTH ends of the economic spectrum. On either end I believed and practiced personal responsibility.

I agree that voter ID would swing toward the advantage of the Republicans as amnesty swings toward the advantage of the Dems. Hello Mr. Pot meet Mr. Kettle.
My agenda is always more righteous than yours.