Anyone Here Long Term Unemployed? [Dec 2013]

I hope that the world economy can improve in meaningful ways in 2014. It would be great to see our local improvements here move out to the wider world, particularly Europe.

limerickman said:
This is a great thread - to all those who are unemployed, I really do hope that you get to find suitable employment in 2014. What is noticeable is that many people throughout the so called economically developed western world are unemployed through no fault of their own.
+1. I don't know if companies in the rest of the world are doing the same thing, but here in the US companies are holding near record amounts of cash.....and not hiring.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
Hey now! My father had a jacket similar to that in the 1970's!
Maybe it was cool in the 70's... But it looks well creepy now... I looks pervy-serial psycho creepy...
big-smile.png

Not as creepy as this but still...:

'I' had a jacket that looked like that in the 1970's!!!

United States Air Force surplus...snorkel hood, rabbit fur trim (pre-PETA) and filled with goose down and extra creepiness!

'I' had a jacket that looked like that in the 1970's!!!

United States Air Force surplus...snorkel hood, rabbit fur trim (pre-PETA) and filled with goose down and extra creepiness!
Any particular reason why you stopped wearing it?
big-smile.png

0.jpg

It finally fell apart.

I bought it as mil-surp. Someone in the USAF wore it for several years before I paid something like $5 for it. http://www.us-military-n-3b-parka-surplus.com/n-3b-parka-sage-c21.htm

Now about $70 brand new. The real dead rabbit fur has been replaced by fake coyote fur so that when our soldiers/sailors/airmen kill someone they do it in an environmentally compliant manner. GoreTex versions by Propper run around $100.

I still buy used military clothing at gunshows. It's a great way to save money on clothing to work around the farm.

It finally fell apart.

I bought it as mil-surp. Someone in the USAF wore it for several years before I paid something like $5 for it. http://www.us-military-n-3b-parka-surplus.com/n-3b-parka-sage-c21.htm

Now about $70 brand new. The real dead rabbit fur has been replaced by fake coyote fur so that when our soldiers/sailors/airmen kill someone they do it in an environmentally compliant manner. GoreTex versions by Propper run around $100.

I still buy used military clothing at gunshows. It's a great way to save money on clothing to work around the farm.
Military clothes, even hunting clothes, give me the Heebie-jeebies...
big-smile.png

I gave away all my "Jean - Paul Caravan" designer army clothes after I "graduated".
big-smile.png
I only kept one pair of fatigues. I developed an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder in there, washing everything twice in boiling hot water when I had some time home and they still felt dirty...
confused.png

But yes... for farm work they are pretty good. But farm work dedicated clothing or work clothes are also good.

Two years ago, I have a period of 10 months unemployed. It is really unpleasure experience. Short of money and social life. Tkx that all things have pass by and I'm enjoying the work now.

This is astonishing

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/01/caused-crash-labor-participation-rate.html

Indeed it is, Lim. It's the dole and "War on Poverty". We pay millions not to work. In fact, we pay them much higher than what their job market skills would bring them. We have bred generations of people that exist only to bleed the nation white.

A quote from your link:
"Unfortunately – instead of helping to reduce unemployment – bad government policy has made it much worse. And see here and here."

A truer statement has never been written.

limerickman said:
It is, but be wary of blog conclusions. Interestingly it wasn't mentioned in the blog article that companies are holding on to near record levels of cash and are not reinvesting in their workforce or creating more jobs. Also note that people that have stopped looking for jobs aren't just people that normally have low paying jobs. That group of people also includes, engineers, teachers, medical professionals and practitioners, or basically people from many different job sectors. Note also that such analysis needs to extend beyond the border of any one country as the economic collapse involved the entire world. As such given how intertwined world economies are with each other, any real recovery will require a world economic recovery. That's happening slowly, but anyone with any semblance of logic would have known that such a recovery would happen slowly.

Originally Posted by alienator

It is, but be wary of blog conclusions. Interestingly it wasn't mentioned in the blog article that companies are holding on to near record levels of cash and are not reinvesting in their workforce or creating more jobs. Also note that people that have stopped looking for jobs aren't just people that normally have low paying jobs. That group of people also includes, engineers, teachers, medical professionals and practitioners, or basically people from many different job sectors.
Those that need money and would stimulate demand if they had it don't have the means for paying it back. And those that have it don't need it, so we get services like corporate buyouts, stock buybacks, and investing in paper of dubious value. We are a nation of talented, hard working people, but no customers.

It finally fell apart.

That's how REI got started. At the end of WWII, military supply depots had enough climbing ropes, carabiners, pitons, hammers, ice axes, crampons, boots, and anoraks to outfit every serviceman and woman for mountain warfare. A bunch of outdoor enthusiasts in Seattle pooled their cash and bought a huge pile of it.

you tend to have an issue in a democracy when nearly half the population can vote themselves a better life

Quote by mansmind:
"you tend to have an issue in a democracy when nearly half the population can vote themselves a better life"

Bingo! Voted on the backs of the productive other half.

One must ask, at this point in history, "Who is John Galt?".

I will NOT toil so the lazy drugaholics, illegal immigrants, career criminals, government bureaucrats and communists (but, I repeat myself) can continue to their existence as oxygen thieves.

Quote by OBC:
"That's how REI got started."

Right, you are! The 1950's thru the late 1970's was the golden age of WW1 and WW2 milsurp. Oak barrels of 1903's and M1917's for $20. High quality gear and clothing at near give away prices. Milsurp is still a great value for anyone on a budget or those looking for durable articles at a sub-retail price.

To be exact we in the US have a Constitutional Republic as opposed to a pure democracy . It is of course,despite the intent of the founders, vunerable to corruption and manipulation.

...and as long as we continue to have a populous of uninformed voters along with the moochers....we will continue down this path.

There use to be a law saying that if you were not a property owner you didn't vote. While that would "fix" the issue now I'm not sure it is conducive to the times. Many very responsible people choose to never own property. In my opinion one voting law would get us on the right track very quickly...

If you didn't pay income taxes last year (even a dollar) you don't get to vote in the election.

Why not? Shouldn't those contributing to the pot make the decision as to how and where it is distributed?

Alternately... you could do it on the delegate route. If your state isn't operating in the black.. your delegates don't count. Bankrupt states would have an issue, but then again they could choose to manage their affairs differently.

Mansmind said:
There use to be a law saying that if you were not a property owner you didn't vote.  While that would "fix" the issue now I'm not sure it is conducive to the times.  Many very responsible people choose to never own property.  In my opinion one voting law would get us on the right track very quickly... If you didn't pay income taxes last year (even a dollar) you don't get to vote in the election. Why not?  Shouldn't those contributing to the pot make the decision as to how and where it is distributed? Alternately... you could do it on the delegate route.  If your state isn't operating in the black.. your delegates don't count.  Bankrupt states would have an issue, but then again they could choose to manage their affairs differently.
There you go! And people who make loads of money can have more votes because they're even more responsible, right? Your idea is just another version of a poll tax and differs little from voting laws being enacted to disenfranchise segments of the black and Hispanic communities