Anyone Here Using TRAINERS regularly as winter approaches?

Colorado Bicycler

Guest
Interested in sharing experiences regularly?

I.e., how to keep going during those "hard" days?

Before all the "snide" comments from others, I ride outside whenever I
can. Due to my wife's current illness and other factors, there are
times when I can't.

Here is my trainer, which I am using this morning.

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox/wtroom1.jpg

If interested, please write back!

[email protected]

I've been thinking about getting a trainer. Turn the TV up and ride
while watching movies. No idea which models are safe/cheap/durable,
though. Suggestions?

German: Stop taking about the war!
Basil Fawlty: You started it!
German: We did not!
Basil: Yes you did, you invaded Poland.

Robert Uhl wrote:
> I've been thinking about getting a trainer. Turn the TV up and ride
> while watching movies. No idea which models are safe/cheap/durable,
> though. Suggestions?

Yep! I suggest Jackie Chan movies. Mindless but sometimes funny and no
story line so you don't have to time your riding to movie length.

I have invited folks from three different forums (Bike Journals, BFN,
Rec.bicycles.misc) to see if there was any interest in a "Trainer
Support Group."

If there was interest, my thought was to have a place to record hours
or miles or whatever, discuss motivation and concerns, equipment (if
desired) and whatever.

So far, no specific interest from either BFN or Rec.bicycles.misc, some
from Bike Journal.

This may be an idea whose time has gone.

Anyway, I did my 45 minutes this morning using the Spinervals
"Clydesdale" video, plus another 40 minutes at the gym on the stair
stepper and the treadmill.

So far, most remarksl I get are remarks like "Well, I ride in the snow
and don't need a trainer" - mostly folks patting themselves on the back
and bragging a bit, which sort of misses the point.

"Colorado Bicycler" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have invited folks from three different forums (Bike Journals, BFN,
>Rec.bicycles.misc) to see if there was any interest in a "Trainer
>Support Group."
>
>If there was interest, my thought was to have a place to record hours
>or miles or whatever, discuss motivation and concerns, equipment (if
>desired) and whatever.
>
>So far, no specific interest from either BFN or Rec.bicycles.misc, some
>from Bike Journal.
>
>This may be an idea whose time has gone.
>
>Anyway, I did my 45 minutes this morning using the Spinervals
>"Clydesdale" video, plus another 40 minutes at the gym on the stair
>stepper and the treadmill.
>
>So far, most remarksl I get are remarks like "Well, I ride in the snow
>and don't need a trainer" - mostly folks patting themselves on the back
>and bragging a bit, which sort of misses the point.

Nah. I'm with you. I've been giving it some thought and I live in
meteorological Paradise!

Our winters bring lots of rain. Sometimes I'm motivated enough to
take it on. Sometimes not. You and I have swapped medical stories
before, so I know you understand the notion, too, that sometimes
getting out the door is tougher than making it to the living room.

I'm probably going to do a little looking-into to start figuring out
the whole fluid/magnet/? mechanisms' pros & cons. Happy to swap info
once I accumulate any.

....coming to Denver in a few weeks, BTW. Can you guys please hold off
on any further freak snowstorms for a while? :)
--
Live simply so that others may simply live

Get yourself a set of rollers like those by Minoura -- you not only get the
workout, but also an improved cadence and ability to ride straight and
smooth. They take a little bit of getting used to, but they're not difficult
as long as you put them next to a wall or a doorway that you can lean on to
get started and in case you start to lose it.

news:[email protected]...

"TonyKiz" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Get yourself a set of rollers like those by Minoura -- you not only get the
>workout, but also an improved cadence and ability to ride straight and
>smooth. They take a little bit of getting used to, but they're not difficult
>as long as you put them next to a wall or a doorway that you can lean on to
>get started and in case you start to lose it.

That was the original thought, and/but that was the issue: the place
where I could put rollers is between a sofa and a (second story) wall
of windows, and--knowing how distracted I get watching TV and/or
listening to music while riding <G>--I'd clearly land in the pool.
--

Robert Uhl wrote:
> I've been thinking about getting a trainer. Turn the TV up and ride
> while watching movies. No idea which models are safe/cheap/durable,
> though. Suggestions?

I bought some rollers for that a few years ago and rode while watching
jeopardy. It was a very good workout, altough at times I'd ride off the
edge if I diverted too much attention to the TV...

Neil Brooks wrote:

> That was the original thought, and/but that was the issue: the place
> where I could put rollers is between a sofa and a (second story) wall
> of windows, and--knowing how distracted I get watching TV and/or
> listening to music while riding <G>--I'd clearly land in the pool.

Mine were between the couch (on the right) and a wall (on the left).
And they didn't point directly at the TV, but a little to the left of
it, so I had to look a bit to the right to see the TV. Consequently,
when I rode off the edge, it was the right edge (you ride where you look).

Forunatly, riding off the edge was rare (after the first day), and when
you do the bike stops immediatly.

Are you in Denver? If so, you could borrow mine to see how they work.
I haven't used them in two years...
Rich

Rich <[email protected]> wrote:

>Neil Brooks wrote:
>
>> That was the original thought, and/but that was the issue: the place
>> where I could put rollers is between a sofa and a (second story) wall
>> of windows, and--knowing how distracted I get watching TV and/or
>> listening to music while riding <G>--I'd clearly land in the pool.

>Mine were between the couch (on the right) and a wall (on the left).
>And they didn't point directly at the TV, but a little to the left of
>it, so I had to look a bit to the right to see the TV. Consequently,
>when I rode off the edge, it was the right edge (you ride where you look).
>
>Forunatly, riding off the edge was rare (after the first day), and when
>you do the bike stops immediatly.

I guess that's what worries me ;-)

>Are you in Denver? If so, you could borrow mine to see how they work.
>I haven't used them in two years...

Thanks, Rich. Very nice offer. Fortunately/unfortunately, I live in
San Diego. Just visiting Denver family for a couple weeks in early
November. Too lazy to travel with my bike, so I become a jogger when
I visit.
--
Live simply so that others may simply live

For what it's worth, I have a rowing machine, a "concept II" or "erg."

I don't think it works that well for making me faster on the bike ...
it must either hit other muscles or "firing sequences" or something.
That's not scientific, just my experience.

The good thing is that it can kill me, wipe me out, really easily. If
you want a good workout in the house that doesn't take hours, it might
be worth a look (or google).

The most amazing thing, if you've never heard of it, is that they
actually organize meets and races, on the machines. Example:

http://www.clra.com/racing/2000races/Erg Race/lakererg.htm

.... they are kind of expensive new, but can sometimes be snapped up
from folks who (like bike buyers) use them less than they expected.