Anyone in Brisbane (or elsewhere) need anything from Harris Cyclery?

Andrew Blake

Guest
I'm putting the finishing touches on my order (Currently US$140), and
wondered if anyone wanted to buy anything that won't push the total over
AUD$500 (US$382) to avoid customs, and split the shipping with me.

Everything I'm ordering is compact, but if you're after tyres I may grab
some too.

So, anyone for some IRO fix/free hubs (US$70 for a front&rear, sealed
bearings, high flange)? Or KoolStop pads, track nuts, chainring bolts...

I can arrange pickup (St. Lucia/UQ best) or post it to you, whatever floats
your boat.

Andrew.

Andrew Blake wrote:
> I'm putting the finishing touches on my order (Currently US$140), and
> wondered if anyone wanted to buy anything that won't push the total over
> AUD$500 (US$382) to avoid customs, and split the shipping with me.
>
> Everything I'm ordering is compact, but if you're after tyres I may grab
> some too.
>
> So, anyone for some IRO fix/free hubs (US$70 for a front&rear, sealed
> bearings, high flange)? Or KoolStop pads, track nuts, chainring bolts...
>
> I can arrange pickup (St. Lucia/UQ best) or post it to you, whatever floats
> your boat.
>
> Andrew.

Don't forget that postage and handling is included in that amount.

Marty

Andrew Blake wrote:
> I'm putting the finishing touches on my order (Currently US$140), and
> wondered if anyone wanted to buy anything that won't push the total over
> AUD$500 (US$382) to avoid customs, and split the shipping with me.
>
> Everything I'm ordering is compact, but if you're after tyres I may grab
> some too.
>
> So, anyone for some IRO fix/free hubs (US$70 for a front&rear, sealed
> bearings, high flange)? Or KoolStop pads, track nuts, chainring bolts...
>
> I can arrange pickup (St. Lucia/UQ best) or post it to you, whatever floats
> your boat.
>
> Andrew.

Don't forget that postage and handling is included in that amount.

Marty

"Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Don't forget that postage and handling is included in that amount.
>
> Marty

You mean they include S&H charges as part of the dutiable value? Seems
unfair. Still won't be more than US$20-30 based on a quote for some hubs.

Still, that leaves a good US$100-150 of parts. Anyone?

Andrew Blake wrote:
> "Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Don't forget that postage and handling is included in that amount.
>>
>>Marty

> You mean they include S&H charges as part of the dutiable value? Seems
> unfair. Still won't be more than US$20-30 based on a quote for some hubs.

I wouldn't bet on it. They usually send it USPS which costs about US$40.

What's even worse is that when customs do make you pay they assess it on
the duty paid as well. So you pay tax on the duty! If that isn't unfair
I don't know what is.

Marty

> Still, that leaves a good US$100-150 of parts. Anyone?

"Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I wouldn't bet on it. They usually send it USPS which costs about US$40.

They say they use Global Express Mail for orders over $100, and a pair of
hubs was quoted at $20, and all I've added so far are brake cables, pads,
sprocket&lockring. IRO Cycle wanted $40 for the same hubs shipped though.

> What's even worse is that when customs do make you pay they assess it on
> the duty paid as well. So you pay tax on the duty! If that isn't unfair I
> don't know what is.

But that's circular? Very unfair. How can you calculate tax on duty without
calculating duty first... a = a+1.

Andrew Blake wrote:
> "Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>I wouldn't bet on it. They usually send it USPS which costs about US$40.

> They say they use Global Express Mail for orders over $100, and a pair of
> hubs was quoted at $20, and all I've added so far are brake cables, pads,
> sprocket&lockring. IRO Cycle wanted $40 for the same hubs shipped though.
>

>>What's even worse is that when customs do make you pay they assess it on
>>the duty paid as well. So you pay tax on the duty! If that isn't unfair I
>>don't know what is.
>>

> But that's circular? Very unfair. How can you calculate tax on duty without
> calculating duty first... a = a+1.

That's what they do. They calculate the duty and then they calculate the
GST.

Marty

"Andrew Blake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm putting the finishing touches on my order (Currently US$140), and
> wondered if anyone wanted to buy anything that won't push the total over
> AUD$500 (US$382) to avoid customs, and split the shipping with me.
>
> Everything I'm ordering is compact, but if you're after tyres I may grab
> some too.
>
> So, anyone for some IRO fix/free hubs (US$70 for a front&rear, sealed
> bearings, high flange)? Or KoolStop pads, track nuts, chainring bolts...
>
> I can arrange pickup (St. Lucia/UQ best) or post it to you, whatever
> floats your boat.
>
> Andrew.

You are a bad, bad man to tempt a poor student into spending like that. Must
be good, must be gooood...

"Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You are a bad, bad man to tempt a poor student into spending like that.
> Must be good, must be gooood...

Hey, I'm a poor student too!

Anyway, offer is retracted now (happy?) as gecko has filled out my order
with various bits and pieces.

Andrew.

"Andrew Blake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> You are a bad, bad man to tempt a poor student into spending like that.
>> Must be good, must be gooood...

> Hey, I'm a poor student too!
>
> Anyway, offer is retracted now (happy?) as gecko has filled out my order
> with various bits and pieces.
>
> Andrew.

And a tease as well!

*shakes head*