Anyone in San Diego gonna try for the free Computrainer June 15th?

fatster

Guest
From cyclingnews.com:

Over 20 years since he first participated in the Race Across America (RAAM), American "bicyclist
extraordinaire" John Howard will be back this year to challenge the field in the first 100 miles of
the race to El Centro CA. The race will start at 7:00am on Sunday, June 15 in Downtown SanDiego on
Harbor Dr near the Star of India. The first rider to get to the El Centro time station will receive
a CompuTrainer from RacerMate - but they have to beat John to get it.

At 56 years old, John continues to be competitive and give younger riders more than they expect:
John beat the field last year from Portland to the first time station by 5 minutes, and will be
aiming to do the same this year.

I wonder how fast he can do 100 miles in -- I mean he's 56--- how fast can he really go? Looks like
a free Computrainer for someone.

> From cyclingnews.com:
>
> Over 20 years since he first participated in the Race Across America (RAAM), American "bicyclist
> extraordinaire" John Howard will be back this year to challenge the field in the first 100 miles
> of the race to El Centro CA. The race will start at 7:00am on Sunday, June 15 in Downtown SanDiego
> on Harbor Dr near the Star of India. The first rider to get to the El Centro time station will
> receive a CompuTrainer from RacerMate - but they have to beat John to get it.
>
> At 56 years old, John continues to be competitive and give younger riders more than they expect:
> John beat the field last year from Portland to the first time station by 5 minutes, and will be
> aiming to do the same this year.
>

> I wonder how fast he can do 100 miles in -- I mean he's 56--- how fast can he really go? Looks
> like a free Computrainer for someone.

I'll take that bet. I'm gonna bet that ole John's gonna kick some asses. Think about it: all he has
to do is go the first 100mi. The rest of the racers have to do the whole country. Why waste all that
energy in the first day of the race?

Mike