Anyone in the Newcastle/Lake Macquaire area.

Cheese wrote:

> Could you recommend any bike paths??

I know of the Fassifern to Toronto one but have never ridden it.

I do not recomment the Adamstown to Belmont proposed trail unless you have a MTB, even then most of
it doesn't exist.

--
Terry Collins {:)}}} email: terryc at woa.com.au www: http://www.woa.com.au Wombat Outdoor
Adventures <Bicycles, Computers, GIS, Printing,

Yes there are heaps of them Call up Lake Macquarie Council's website..(find it under google) and
there are quite a few maps. Toronto -Fassifern is one I use each day .. only around 4km long also
Marmong Point to Warners Bay and eleebana is a good one but busy with pedestrians at weekend. And
don't forgert the newly opened Fernleigh Track which is part of the Adamstown Belmont proposal. In
Newcastle there is the East-West.. Throsby Creek, University cycleways etc etc. Also, contact the
Newcastle cycleways Movement on 4944 7869 and Don will tell you more. Or again look up the NCM
website... it also has a list of weekend rides in the area which might be helpful.

--
<[email protected]>...

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:09:59 +0950, Cheese wrote:

> Could you recommend any bike paths??

I'm in Morisset... well not *in* Morisset, I live at Morisset (that's a regional joke if you don't
get it: Morisset has a big, err, hospital for the mentally challenged, criminally so)

Anyway... Lake Mac. Council believes bicycles are for kids only, so the whole bikepath network is a
bit UTS. That said there's some excellent work done on the Fernleigh track, and if you don't mind
dodging pedestrians the bit along the lake near Warners Bay. There is some more path over near
Toronto, but i don't know the route.

If you wanna find out more maybe go for a few rides with the Newcastle Cycleways Movement. Actually
I think the ride this weekend (03-AUG-2003) is a very easy one from (foggy memory) Fassifern to
Bolton Pt. with a free BBQ. Might be on this one ourselves.

They're a fairly friendly bunch, we occasionally go on the rides, but haven't been for a few
weeks. IMHO the rides up around Maitland are definately worth the drive, especially the ones out
around Morpeth.

If you go into and bike shop, they will almost certainly have the ride calendar and contact details.

I don't really know about the cycleways around Newcastle, although the club ride the other week went
along throsby creek down to the foreshore.

cheers, -kt

> IMHO the rides up around Maitland are definately worth the drive, > especially the ones out around
> Morpeth.

Real shame that it isn't as easy to catch the trains these days to Maitland. It was so much easier
to get to Maitland from Sydney and points north for a large group ride in the 80's.

--
Terry Collins {:)}}} email: terryc at woa.com.au www: http://www.woa.com.au Wombat Outdoor
Adventures <Bicycles, Computers, GIS, Printing,
Publishing>

Thanks guys.

Could you please tell me a bit more about the Adamstown - Belmont path?/
Thanks.

Cheese wrote:

> Thanks guys.
>
> Could you please tell me a bit more about the Adamstown - Belmont path?/ Thanks.

It follows the old coal railway. Find a newcastle/lake macquarie street map, hop a train to
Adamstown, leave from east side and head south. I understand the tunnel is open again. (someone will
correct me if I've been sucked into another promise). It basically consists of roadbase between the
rails passed the road to Glenrock Lagoon and the next one E-W (Redhead?), then nothing.

--
Terry Collins {:)}}} email: terryc at woa.com.au www: http://www.woa.com.au Wombat Outdoor
Adventures <Bicycles, Computers, GIS, Printing,
Publishing>

>> Could you please tell me a bit more about the Adamstown - Belmont path?/ Thanks.

> It follows the old coal railway. Find a newcastle/lake macquarie street map, hop a train to
> Adamstown, leave from east side and head south. I understand the tunnel is open again. (someone
> will correct me if I've been sucked into another promise). It basically consists of roadbase
> between the rails passed the road to Glenrock Lagoon and the next one E-W (Redhead?), then
> nothing.

Some photos I've taken of the opened tunnel are at:

http://hunter.apana.org.au/~cjb/Image/Bike/FernleighTunnel20030410/

--
Chris,,