Anyone in the UK thought of crossing a continent?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Kitesurfer, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Kitesurfer

Kitesurfer New Member

Hi.
    I live on the south coast and haven't owned a bike for over 10 years. I'm 37 and thinking of purchasing a trike recumbent and crossing say Canada or something similar. :eek: Maybe a short European trip first.

The question is, has anyone else got the time and no ties to be able to do this? I'm thinking of a completely uncompetetive tour without firm plans. Kinda layed back (yeah yeah / recumbent!) with importance on having a good time rather than hitting targets.

KS.

Tags:

2. matt23

matt23 New Member

A guy where I work one week decided that he and a friend would cycle London to Paris. And they did!!! It wasn't a race or anything, they stayed in hotels and had a great time.:)
    Now they're thinking of doing London to Moscow!

One thing you need to be when doing these types of ride is fit and determined!

3. ESheldon

ESheldon New Member

I'm going to be cycling in Cambodia later on in the year as part of a charity trek. But I was thinking of taking my bike and doing a small trek to Bruges. The terrain is flat, and it's all very laid back. :)

4. webbhost

webbhost New Member

i want to bike from the UK West coast wales to the east coast great yarmouth.

I will say training is a must, and it is going to have to be ALOT of training too.

My training is on hold right now due to weather conditions (unpredictable winds). and the biggest distance ive managed is 34 miles.

The distance i need to achieve is 400 miles (100 per day) - so i have a long way to go. Considering going to the gym and using their utilities.

Consider buying the book "the complete book of long-distance cycling by edmund R Burke

5. Cod

Cod New Member

I've done a few long-distance trips, end-to-end in Ireland (400 mls) and the a tour of the Algarve (250 mls). Once you have achieved a base level of fitness, and being able to cycle 34 miles indicates you have, you'll probably find that developing mental discipline is more important than increasing fitness further. It's being able to keep plodding on when you're bored or wet or cold or all three that gets you where you want to go.

If the poor weather continues, consider signing up for a few spinning classes, (for safety reasons make sure it is a registered class not just some guy with a few RnB CDs and exercise bikes). Nothing beats road cycling but spinning is a reasonably good substitute.

If you don't have a turbo trainer you might find one useful, but it's hard to keep at it on your own; the other partciapnts in a spinning class tend to give moral support. There are a number of cycle-realted weight training programs on the web for cycling which may also help, bon route anyway!

6. avicontractors1

avicontractors1 New Member

i don't now about crossing continent but i wouldn't mind arranging a bike tour for a week or so maybe cycling to the isle of white my be to paris or to Amsterdam i live in London hungry for action

7. avicontractors1

avicontractors1 New Member

100miles a day its abit hard i think 80 a day want kill you i cycle 500miles in a week without killing myself i mast admit i swim a lot it helps you need a good pair of lungs and strong determention good luck avi

8. Pendragon

Pendragon New Member

I have plan to ride the length of Africa - Alexandria via Cairo to Cape Town. That would be leaving in the Middle of October and Arriving for Christmas in Cape Town.

I'm just waiting for a bit more funding so it will hopefully be in 2008 any takers? If there are drop me line [email protected]

9. fowlerstevie

fowlerstevie New Member

I've never rode over a continent YET! But will soon and very looking forward to it.
    Me and a couplr of friends ride frequently for 3 years now, we all wanted to ride the Lands End - John O'groats. So we started off going away for a week here n there riding the South west Coast (Devon/Cornwall) camping. It was great fun, relaxed, so we did it 2/3 times per year.

And finally i done the Lands End - John O'Groats last year, by myself as friends had commitments to work. I ended up doing it with my Girlfriend, who drove the Van along route. It was a great experience but VERY VERY hard, mainly because i was covering 150 miles per day.

But i think every British Cyclist should try it.........

Mark