Anyone intending to ride Paris-Brest-Paris in 2007?

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
I hoping to ride P-B-P in 2007.

If anyone here has ridden this event or is planning to ride this event, I'd appreciate any info you may have to share.

Thanks

limerickman said:

If anyone here has ridden this event or is planning to ride this event, I'd appreciate any info you may have to share.

Thanks
Isnt that 1250km? No thanks, I've done 430 and my ass hurt after that :)

Do you have any more info?

You cant just go out and do 1250km I think you have to qualify first by doing long distance rides I'm sorry to say I dont have any better info. I have been reading a story on sheldon browns site about riding the PBP on a moulton http://www.sheldonbrown.com/audacious.html and its got me interested.

reelbf said:
You cant just go out and do 1250km I think you have to qualify first by doing long distance rides I'm sorry to say I dont have any better info. I have been reading a story on sheldon browns site about riding the PBP on a moulton http://www.sheldonbrown.com/audacious.html and its got me interested.

Thanks.

yeah, I've a lot of mileage accumulated over the past 18 months (17k miles).

I am hoping to do P-B-P but the riding at night bit is what's bothering me and I was just fishing to see if anyone had experience of that or had trained for it.
But thanks for the link.

If all works out, I hope to ride and combine a long trip to visit my relatives in Kinvara (South County Galway) ... :)

wugga said:
If all works out, I hope to ride and combine a long trip to visit my relatives in Kinvara (South County Galway) ... :)

It's a long cycle from Paris to Kinvara - especially after P-B-P!!!!!!!!!!

Yep,

Planning on a couple days in Paris then a Ryan Air flight to Ireland! A week of Relaxing and Pubbing after the PBP! Hmmmm ...not that' an idea! :p

limerickman said:
It's a long cycle from Paris to Kinvara - especially after P-B-P!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it's a 1200km ride, within a 90 hour time limit.

To qualify you must ride 200, 300, 400 and 600km sanctioned events in the months leading up to the PBP.

If training, you must prepare yourself to basically be self supported. There are only a few designated support areas. You can't have a support car riding behind you passing your food or drink whenever required. Many people buy their food along the way, etc.

I am considering this for next year, like yourself, I am a little concerned, because although I have ridden plenty at night , I have not ridden through the night, or for more than 10 hours straight, let alone 60-70 hours.

IcemanYQQ said:
Yes, it's a 1200km ride, within a 90 hour time limit.

To qualify you must ride 200, 300, 400 and 600km sanctioned events in the months leading up to the PBP.

If training, you must prepare yourself to basically be self supported. There are only a few designated support areas. You can't have a support car riding behind you passing your food or drink whenever required. Many people buy their food along the way, etc.

I am considering this for next year, like yourself, I am a little concerned, because although I have ridden plenty at night , I have not ridden through the night, or for more than 10 hours straight, let alone 60-70 hours.

Thanks Ice : yes, you've got to complete sanctioned distance events.
We have AUDAX-type events here : 200km, 400km, 600km distances.

Like you it's the riding through the night bit that has me wondering.

Maybe we can keep this thread going as a diary of how we're preparing for P-B-P? We can at least pool our knowledge and experience.

limerickman said:

Thanks

I have been mulling this one over for a couple of years now also. But the problem I have is that I live in Prague and from all my searching I have not been able to find any organisation in the Czech Republic that runs the qualify brevets.

But I did find this. Do all the brevets in one week. http://www.pactour.com/brevet.html
they ran it in 2003 and are probably going to run it in 2007 also. It is run by ultracycling legends Lon Haldeman and Susan Notorangelo. Lon rides PBP on a fixed gear.

In 2003 I read he did PBP but only rode during day light hours and still finished inside the time limit. I guess 1200 KM is not hard enough for him.

BottleCage said:
I have been mulling this one over for a couple of years now also. But the problem I have is that I live in Prague and from all my searching I have not been able to find any organisation in the Czech Republic that runs the qualify brevets.

But I did find this. Do all the brevets in one week. http://www.pactour.com/brevet.html
they ran it in 2003 and are probably going to run it in 2007 also. It is run by ultracycling legends Lon Haldeman and Susan Notorangelo. Lon rides PBP on a fixed gear.

In 2003 I read he did PBP but only rode during day light hours and still finished inside the time limit. I guess 1200 KM is not hard enough for him.

Thanks for that link : Wisconsin's a bit far to travel in order to be tortured during brevet week!