Anyone know a brand of unicycle which is...

kääpiövuohi wrote:
> *-Were- made...
>
> DM has wrapped up his production due to - would you believe - the
> competition from cheap asian imports making his business no longer
> viable.*

Wow!

Didn't think that'd happen. That said - the demand for hand-made unis is
pretty small.

It seems I've missed a lot in my little absence from the forum.

--
JoeRowing - MUni Animal

Joe
gravitykarma.co.uk
JoeRowing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1544

sarah.miller wrote:
> *You could buy a DM, they are made in the UK by Dave Mariner, buy a
> unicycle from him and you help feed his kid, pay for his shoes etc.
> Or you could by a frame from Joe Rowing, again made in the UK, buy a
> unicycle from Joe and you help train a teacher, prehaps buy a wheel
> made by Mike Hinson and help feeed his unicycle habit, all assembed
> into a unicycle by Miark or Roger, who also have rent to pay and food
> to buy. *

Same here in the USA -- myself, George Barnes, Scott Wallis, Rick
Hunter, Gus Dingeman, Sem Abrams -- all contribute substantially to the
ingredients in unicycles, as well as the overall design, not to mention
assembly. We also use parts developed by KH, Semcycle, uni.com, and
then parts from bicycle parts manufacturers, some parts of which are
manufactured directly here in the USA or Europe or the UK or
Australia.

Whenever possible, and for many reasons, I (as LiveWire) try to use
parts from these guys.

--
U-Turn - As long as my feet keep movin'...

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

"tylercox" <[email protected]> writes:

> My Nimbus X was made in the US, by unicycle.com.

Make that finally assembled in the US (UK, New Zealand, or Sweden) and
I'll believe you. My undeerstanding is that most of the parts in a
Nimbus are manufactured by "cheap asian" factories.

Ken

sarah.miller wrote:
> *You could buy a DM, they are made in the UK by Dave Mariner, buy a
> unicycle from him and you help feed his kid, pay for his shoes etc.
> Or you could by a frame from Joe Rowing, again made in the UK, buy a
> unicycle from Joe and you help train a teacher, prehaps buy a wheel
> made by Mike Hinson and help feeed his unicycle habit, all assembed
> into a unicycle by Miark or Roger, who also have rent to pay and food
> to buy. *

Missed this earlier - Well said indeed!

(nearly finished training - 6 weeks to go and my 5-6 years of uni & work
training will be finished!)

--

Ken Cline wrote:
> *Make that finally assembled in the US (UK, New Zealand, or Sweden)
> and I'll believe you.*

That sounds about right. Tyler, I don't know for sure, but if I had to
guess I'd say the only U.S.-made part on your Nimbus is the Unicycle.com
sticker. If it has a metal head tube emblem, that's probably from Asia
as well.

Again, this does not mean the workers in any of the factories are being
abused, we just don't know if they are.

--
johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone