Anyone know a suitable & cheap replacement for RedRum?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Me, May 18, 2003.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    Hi, is it possible to buy a generic versionof RockShox's RedRum Oil from a motorcycle place or
    something?

    I'm just looking to buy a bit more than what comes in the standard bottle.

    What should I ask for?

    cheers

    Tags:

  2. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Hi, is it possible to buy a generic versionof RockShox's
    RedRum Oil from a
    > motorcycle place or something?
    >
    > I'm just looking to buy a bit more than what comes in the
    standard bottle.

    > What should I ask for?

    Just ask for fork oil in the correct "weight" (wt) or viscosity. I think RS forks use 7wt, but I'm
    not positive...

    Matt O.

  3. Me wrote:

    > Hi, is it possible to buy a generic versionof RockShox's RedRum Oil from a motorcycle place or
    > something?
    >
    > I'm just looking to buy a bit more than what comes in the standard bottle.
    >
    > What should I ask for?

    Fork oil. <G>

    Barry

  4. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, is it possible to buy a generic versionof RockShox's RedRum Oil from a motorcycle place or
    > something?
    >
    > I'm just looking to buy a bit more than what comes in the standard bottle.
    >
    > What should I ask for?
    >
    > cheers

    Because RedRum wasn't available yet I was told by RS service on my '99 SID that 15wt motorcycle fork
    oil would work. And it does. (The oil that is, the fork still sucked!)

    Mike

  5. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, is it possible to buy a generic versionof RockShox's RedRum Oil from a motorcycle place or
    > something?
    >
    > I'm just looking to buy a bit more than what comes in the standard bottle.
    >
    > What should I ask for?
    >
    > cheers

    Spectro fork oil - no seal swellers, just good, clean, hard working fork oil. 15wt, I believe. I got
    it at my local dirt moto shop, and it was definitely both cheaper and a larger container than any of
    the "bicycle fork oils". Same thing, if not better.

    Jon Bond

  6. >> Hi, is it possible to buy a generic versionof RockShox's
    >RedRum Oil from a
    >> motorcycle place or something?
    >>
    >> I'm just looking to buy a bit more than what comes in the
    >standard bottle.
    >>
    >> What should I ask for?

    Manitou suggests using "40 wt. synthetic gear oil" for the same application. I just use 40 wt. motor
    oil. This is for air chamber o-ring lubrication, not to be confused with the 5 - 15 weight fork oil
    in the damping system.