Anyone know about "Fulcrum Racing 1" wheels?

Colin Campbell

Guest
Are these wheels considered a decent value for the money? The LBS has
loaned me a pair, and when I've "learned" something about them compared
to my current wheels, I'm supposed to try the new Mavic R-SYS wheels.

(Obviously, the owner wants to separate me from some of my money, but as
long as we both understand that....)

The bike I put the Fulcrum wheels on is equipped with shop-built wheels
consisting of Mavic Open Pro rims, 32 DT spokes (F & R), and Record
hubs. I've no idea what they weigh, but the complete bike is 19.75
pounds. (A newer bike, identical except for Bontrager Race Lite wheels,
is about 1.2 pounds lighter. I've been assuming nearly all the
difference is in the wheels, though the Record components are three
years newer.)

The Fulcrums are 16 aero spokes front, 21 rear. The rims are non-aero,
and have been machined down between the spoke holes. The nipples are
much larger than what I'm used to seeing. The inside of the rim has no
holes, so no rim tape is required. A pair is supposed to weigh 1570
grams. This compares well with Mavic Ksyrium ES and Campy Eurus, wheels
in roughly the same price range.

I rode the Fulcrum wheels today on a 69 km (43 mile) flat ride, and I
didn't notice anything special about them. I was told that I'd notice
how well they accelerated, that cornering was solid, etc. There was
certainly nothing wrong with them, but.... I plan to try them in the
hills tomorrow.

Am I just an insensitive Philistine, incapable of appreciating expensive
rolling works of art?

"Colin Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Are these wheels considered a decent value for the money? The LBS has
> loaned me a pair, and when I've "learned" something about them compared to
> my current wheels, I'm supposed to try the new Mavic R-SYS wheels.

The shop-built wheels sound like the best option. Campy Record hubs are
great. My second choice would be shop built wheels with the new Dura-Ace
hubs with the Ti freehub. Third choice (if you need the wheels to have the
current low-spoke visual bling appeal) would be some Shimano R600's.
Ultegra-level hubs. On sale at Nashbar at $300 for the pair. I don't know
what type of components the Fulcrums have, but it is very unlikely that the
hub bearings or the freehub on these will last anywhere as long as even the
cheapest Shimano road hubs. Or unlikely that you will be able to find a
replacement rim when you hit that next big pothole.

Dave Mayer wrote:
> "Colin Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Are these wheels considered a decent value for the money? The LBS has
>> loaned me a pair, and when I've "learned" something about them compared to
>> my current wheels, I'm supposed to try the new Mavic R-SYS wheels.
>>

> The shop-built wheels sound like the best option. Campy Record hubs are
> great. My second choice would be shop built wheels with the new Dura-Ace
> hubs with the Ti freehub. Third choice (if you need the wheels to have the
> current low-spoke visual bling appeal) would be some Shimano R600's.
> Ultegra-level hubs. On sale at Nashbar at $300 for the pair. I don't know
> what type of components the Fulcrums have, but it is very unlikely that the
> hub bearings or the freehub on these will last anywhere as long as even the
> cheapest Shimano road hubs. Or unlikely that you will be able to find a
> replacement rim when you hit that next big pothole.

It's lucky that I own the shop-built wheels, then! <g>

Fulcrum is actually designed and built by Campagnolo. I think the
separate name is a bid to get lots os Shimano customers.

I expect that parts WILL be available, and that the parts on the wheels
will be durable. I do have to say that the so-called silver wheels'
hubs (these have gray hubs, but they also come in an all black version)
are lacking in the looks department - they're nothing like classic Campy
hub designs in shape or flawless, shiny finish.

Dave Mayer wrote:
> The shop-built wheels sound like the best option. Campy Record hubs are
> great. My second choice would be shop built wheels with the new Dura-Ace
> hubs with the Ti freehub. Third choice (if you need the wheels to have the
> current low-spoke visual bling appeal) would be some Shimano R600's.
> Ultegra-level hubs. On sale at Nashbar at $300 for the pair. I don't know
> what type of components the Fulcrums have, but it is very unlikely that the
> hub bearings or the freehub on these will last anywhere as long as even the
> cheapest Shimano road hubs. Or unlikely that you will be able to find a
> replacement rim when you hit that next big pothole.

Fulcrum is Campagnolo; no bearing issues. Otherwise I'm with Dave on a
well built pair of 'normal' wheels as first choice. Assuming anyone
there can build well of course.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Colin Campbell wrote:
> Are these wheels considered a decent value for the money? The LBS has
> loaned me a pair, and when I've "learned" something about them compared
> to my current wheels, I'm supposed to try the new Mavic R-SYS wheels.
>
> (Obviously, the owner wants to separate me from some of my money, but as
> long as we both understand that....)
>
> The bike I put the Fulcrum wheels on is equipped with shop-built wheels
> consisting of Mavic Open Pro rims, 32 DT spokes (F & R), and Record
> hubs. I've no idea what they weigh, but the complete bike is 19.75
> pounds. (A newer bike, identical except for Bontrager Race Lite wheels,
> is about 1.2 pounds lighter. I've been assuming nearly all the
> difference is in the wheels, though the Record components are three
> years newer.)
>
> The Fulcrums are 16 aero spokes front, 21 rear. The rims are non-aero,
> and have been machined down between the spoke holes. The nipples are
> much larger than what I'm used to seeing. The inside of the rim has no
> holes, so no rim tape is required. A pair is supposed to weigh 1570
> grams. This compares well with Mavic Ksyrium ES and Campy Eurus, wheels
> in roughly the same price range.
>
> I rode the Fulcrum wheels today on a 69 km (43 mile) flat ride, and I
> didn't notice anything special about them. I was told that I'd notice
> how well they accelerated, that cornering was solid, etc. There was
> certainly nothing wrong with them, but.... I plan to try them in the
> hills tomorrow.
>
> Am I just an insensitive Philistine, incapable of appreciating expensive
> rolling works of art?

cT = 0.91

Dave Mayer wrote:
> "Colin Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Are these wheels considered a decent value for the money? The LBS has
>> loaned me a pair, and when I've "learned" something about them compared to
>> my current wheels, I'm supposed to try the new Mavic R-SYS wheels.
>>

> The shop-built wheels sound like the best option. Campy Record hubs are
> great.

but fulcrum /are/ campy...

On Sep 14, 3:37 am, Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
> Are these wheels considered a decent value for the money? The LBS has
> loaned me a pair, and when I've "learned" something about them compared
> to my current wheels, I'm supposed to try the new Mavic R-SYS wheels.
>
> (Obviously, the owner wants to separate me from some of my money, but as
> long as we both understand that....)
>
> The bike I put the Fulcrum wheels on is equipped with shop-built wheels
> consisting of Mavic Open Pro rims, 32 DT spokes (F & R), and Record
> hubs. I've no idea what they weigh, but the complete bike is 19.75
> pounds. (A newer bike, identical except for Bontrager Race Lite wheels,
> is about 1.2 pounds lighter. I've been assuming nearly all the
> difference is in the wheels, though the Record components are three
> years newer.)
>
> The Fulcrums are 16 aero spokes front, 21 rear. The rims are non-aero,
> and have been machined down between the spoke holes. The nipples are
> much larger than what I'm used to seeing. The inside of the rim has no
> holes, so no rim tape is required. A pair is supposed to weigh 1570
> grams. This compares well with Mavic Ksyrium ES and Campy Eurus, wheels
> in roughly the same price range.
>
> I rode the Fulcrum wheels today on a 69 km (43 mile) flat ride, and I
> didn't notice anything special about them. I was told that I'd notice
> how well they accelerated, that cornering was solid, etc. There was
> certainly nothing wrong with them, but.... I plan to try them in the
> hills tomorrow.
>
> Am I just an insensitive Philistine, incapable of appreciating expensive
> rolling works of art?

A guy I ride with uses them. He is Norwegian masters champion,
Scandinavian champion, and got 5th at the world championships. Didn't
seem to slow him down. I don't like the color scheme, and for that
much dough, I'd want something more aero.

Joseph

On Sep 13, 7:37 pm, Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
> Are these wheels considered a decent value for the money? The LBS has
> loaned me a pair, and when I've "learned" something about them compared
> to my current wheels, I'm supposed to try the new Mavic R-SYS wheels.
>
> (Obviously, the owner wants to separate me from some of my money, but as
> long as we both understand that....)
>
> The bike I put the Fulcrum wheels on is equipped with shop-built wheels
> consisting of Mavic Open Pro rims, 32 DT spokes (F & R), and Record
> hubs. I've no idea what they weigh, but the complete bike is 19.75
> pounds. (A newer bike, identical except for Bontrager Race Lite wheels,
> is about 1.2 pounds lighter. I've been assuming nearly all the
> difference is in the wheels, though the Record components are three
> years newer.)
>
> The Fulcrums are 16 aero spokes front, 21 rear. The rims are non-aero,
> and have been machined down between the spoke holes. The nipples are
> much larger than what I'm used to seeing. The inside of the rim has no
> holes, so no rim tape is required. A pair is supposed to weigh 1570
> grams. This compares well with Mavic Ksyrium ES and Campy Eurus, wheels
> in roughly the same price range.
>
> I rode the Fulcrum wheels today on a 69 km (43 mile) flat ride, and I
> didn't notice anything special about them. I was told that I'd notice
> how well they accelerated, that cornering was solid, etc. There was
> certainly nothing wrong with them, but.... I plan to try them in the
> hills tomorrow.
>
> Am I just an insensitive Philistine, incapable of appreciating expensive
> rolling works of art?

Nope, you are a normal cyclist that doesn't believe the magic,
marketing driven qualities of these and other wheels outta boxes.
"better acceleration'? My Aunt Matilda;s mustache. These and all other
wheels outta boxes are expensive, use unique parts(perhaps not
supported for years), do not perform any better and are more
expensive. Lots of big decals and pretty colors but.....did I mention
expensive. Same quality hubs, good wheelbuilder, designed for
you..better choice.

On Sep 14, 2:30 am, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sep 14, 3:37 am, Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Are these wheels considered a decent value for the money? The LBS has
> > loaned me a pair, and when I've "learned" something about them compared
> > to my current wheels, I'm supposed to try the new Mavic R-SYS wheels.

> > (Obviously, the owner wants to separate me from some of my money, but as
> > long as we both understand that....)

> > The bike I put the Fulcrum wheels on is equipped with shop-built wheels
> > consisting of Mavic Open Pro rims, 32 DT spokes (F & R), and Record
> > hubs. I've no idea what they weigh, but the complete bike is 19.75
> > pounds. (A newer bike, identical except for Bontrager Race Lite wheels,
> > is about 1.2 pounds lighter. I've been assuming nearly all the
> > difference is in the wheels, though the Record components are three
> > years newer.)

> > The Fulcrums are 16 aero spokes front, 21 rear. The rims are non-aero,
> > and have been machined down between the spoke holes. The nipples are
> > much larger than what I'm used to seeing. The inside of the rim has no
> > holes, so no rim tape is required. A pair is supposed to weigh 1570
> > grams. This compares well with Mavic Ksyrium ES and Campy Eurus, wheels
> > in roughly the same price range.

> > I rode the Fulcrum wheels today on a 69 km (43 mile) flat ride, and I
> > didn't notice anything special about them. I was told that I'd notice
> > how well they accelerated, that cornering was solid, etc. There was
> > certainly nothing wrong with them, but.... I plan to try them in the
> > hills tomorrow.

> > Am I just an insensitive Philistine, incapable of appreciating expensive
> > rolling works of art?

> A guy I ride with uses them. He is Norwegian masters champion,
> Scandinavian champion, and got 5th at the world championships. Didn't
> seem to slow him down. I don't like the color scheme, and for that
> much dough, I'd want something more aero.
>
> Joseph

How much did he pay for them?(I'm a thinkin nuthin-sponsored)

On Sep 13, 9:37 pm, Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
> Are these wheels considered a decent value for the money? The LBS has
> loaned me a pair, and when I've "learned" something about them compared
> to my current wheels, I'm supposed to try the new Mavic R-SYS wheels.
>
> (Obviously, the owner wants to separate me from some of my money, but as
> long as we both understand that....)
>
> The bike I put the Fulcrum wheels on is equipped with shop-built wheels
> consisting of Mavic Open Pro rims, 32 DT spokes (F & R), and Record
> hubs. I've no idea what they weigh, but the complete bike is 19.75
> pounds. (A newer bike, identical except for Bontrager Race Lite wheels,
> is about 1.2 pounds lighter. I've been assuming nearly all the
> difference is in the wheels, though the Record components are three
> years newer.)
>
> The Fulcrums are 16 aero spokes front, 21 rear. The rims are non-aero,
> and have been machined down between the spoke holes. The nipples are
> much larger than what I'm used to seeing. The inside of the rim has no
> holes, so no rim tape is required. A pair is supposed to weigh 1570
> grams. This compares well with Mavic Ksyrium ES and Campy Eurus, wheels
> in roughly the same price range.
>
> I rode the Fulcrum wheels today on a 69 km (43 mile) flat ride, and I
> didn't notice anything special about them. I was told that I'd notice
> how well they accelerated, that cornering was solid, etc. There was
> certainly nothing wrong with them, but.... I plan to try them in the
> hills tomorrow.
>
> Am I just an insensitive Philistine, incapable of appreciating expensive
> rolling works of art?

I've ridden the new mavic R-sys wheels and they are definitly very
stiff and will accelerate better than the fulcrum wheels, mostly
because of the 200g weight difference. At 1400g the R-sys is
definatly one of the lightest aluminum rimmed wheels out there, but at
$1400 its also one of the more expensive. I am not quite sold on
their carbon spoke idea especially for the rear wheel which uses half
carbon half aluminum spokes. If you are concerned about aerodynamics I
would venture to guess that 4mm round spokes would not perform the
best in a wind tunnel. As for the fulcrum wheels, they have fine
construction but are on the heavy side for the price you are paying
and don't have great aerodynamics to justify the weight.

Steve Sauter

On Sep 14, 2:34 pm, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sep 14, 2:30 am, "[email protected]"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Sep 14, 3:37 am, Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Are these wheels considered a decent value for the money? The LBS has
> > > loaned me a pair, and when I've "learned" something about them compared
> > > to my current wheels, I'm supposed to try the new Mavic R-SYS wheels.

> > > (Obviously, the owner wants to separate me from some of my money, but as
> > > long as we both understand that....)

> > > The bike I put the Fulcrum wheels on is equipped with shop-built wheels
> > > consisting of Mavic Open Pro rims, 32 DT spokes (F & R), and Record
> > > hubs. I've no idea what they weigh, but the complete bike is 19.75
> > > pounds. (A newer bike, identical except for Bontrager Race Lite wheels,
> > > is about 1.2 pounds lighter. I've been assuming nearly all the
> > > difference is in the wheels, though the Record components are three
> > > years newer.)

> > > The Fulcrums are 16 aero spokes front, 21 rear. The rims are non-aero,
> > > and have been machined down between the spoke holes. The nipples are
> > > much larger than what I'm used to seeing. The inside of the rim has no
> > > holes, so no rim tape is required. A pair is supposed to weigh 1570
> > > grams. This compares well with Mavic Ksyrium ES and Campy Eurus, wheels
> > > in roughly the same price range.

> > > I rode the Fulcrum wheels today on a 69 km (43 mile) flat ride, and I
> > > didn't notice anything special about them. I was told that I'd notice
> > > how well they accelerated, that cornering was solid, etc. There was
> > > certainly nothing wrong with them, but.... I plan to try them in the
> > > hills tomorrow.

> > > Am I just an insensitive Philistine, incapable of appreciating expensive
> > > rolling works of art?

> > A guy I ride with uses them. He is Norwegian masters champion,
> > Scandinavian champion, and got 5th at the world championships. Didn't
> > seem to slow him down. I don't like the color scheme, and for that
> > much dough, I'd want something more aero.

> > Joseph

> How much did he pay for them?(I'm a thinkin nuthin-sponsored)

I'm sure he's a wise shopper, but he has all top dollar gear he buys
himself.

Joseph

On Sep 14, 2:47 pm, steve <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sep 13, 9:37 pm, Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Are these wheels considered a decent value for the money? The LBS has
> > loaned me a pair, and when I've "learned" something about them compared
> > to my current wheels, I'm supposed to try the new Mavic R-SYS wheels.

> > (Obviously, the owner wants to separate me from some of my money, but as
> > long as we both understand that....)

> > The bike I put the Fulcrum wheels on is equipped with shop-built wheels
> > consisting of Mavic Open Pro rims, 32 DT spokes (F & R), and Record
> > hubs. I've no idea what they weigh, but the complete bike is 19.75
> > pounds. (A newer bike, identical except for Bontrager Race Lite wheels,
> > is about 1.2 pounds lighter. I've been assuming nearly all the
> > difference is in the wheels, though the Record components are three
> > years newer.)

> > The Fulcrums are 16 aero spokes front, 21 rear. The rims are non-aero,
> > and have been machined down between the spoke holes. The nipples are
> > much larger than what I'm used to seeing. The inside of the rim has no
> > holes, so no rim tape is required. A pair is supposed to weigh 1570
> > grams. This compares well with Mavic Ksyrium ES and Campy Eurus, wheels
> > in roughly the same price range.

> > I rode the Fulcrum wheels today on a 69 km (43 mile) flat ride, and I
> > didn't notice anything special about them. I was told that I'd notice
> > how well they accelerated, that cornering was solid, etc. There was
> > certainly nothing wrong with them, but.... I plan to try them in the
> > hills tomorrow.

> > Am I just an insensitive Philistine, incapable of appreciating expensive
> > rolling works of art?

> I've ridden the new mavic R-sys wheels and they are definitly very
> stiff and will accelerate better than the fulcrum wheels, mostly
> because of the 200g weight difference. At 1400g the R-sys is
> definatly one of the lightest aluminum rimmed wheels out there, but at
> $1400 its also one of the more expensive. I am not quite sold on
> their carbon spoke idea especially for the rear wheel which uses half
> carbon half aluminum spokes. If you are concerned about aerodynamics I
> would venture to guess that 4mm round spokes would not perform the
> best in a wind tunnel. As for the fulcrum wheels, they have fine
> construction but are on the heavy side for the price you are paying
> and don't have great aerodynamics to justify the weight.
>
> Steve Sauter

I have a set of 1200g wheels I built myself for about $375, so I can't
see any reason to even think about spending anywhere near $1400 for a
heavier wheelset unless they are seriously aero.

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:
> On Sep 14, 2:47 pm, steve <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Sep 13, 9:37 pm, Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>> Are these wheels considered a decent value for the money? The LBS has
>>> loaned me a pair, and when I've "learned" something about them compared
>>> to my current wheels, I'm supposed to try the new Mavic R-SYS wheels.
>>> (Obviously, the owner wants to separate me from some of my money, but as
>>> long as we both understand that....)
>>> The bike I put the Fulcrum wheels on is equipped with shop-built wheels
>>> consisting of Mavic Open Pro rims, 32 DT spokes (F & R), and Record
>>> hubs. I've no idea what they weigh, but the complete bike is 19.75
>>> pounds. (A newer bike, identical except for Bontrager Race Lite wheels,
>>> is about 1.2 pounds lighter. I've been assuming nearly all the
>>> difference is in the wheels, though the Record components are three
>>> years newer.)
>>> The Fulcrums are 16 aero spokes front, 21 rear. The rims are non-aero,
>>> and have been machined down between the spoke holes. The nipples are
>>> much larger than what I'm used to seeing. The inside of the rim has no
>>> holes, so no rim tape is required. A pair is supposed to weigh 1570
>>> grams. This compares well with Mavic Ksyrium ES and Campy Eurus, wheels
>>> in roughly the same price range.
>>> I rode the Fulcrum wheels today on a 69 km (43 mile) flat ride, and I
>>> didn't notice anything special about them. I was told that I'd notice
>>> how well they accelerated, that cornering was solid, etc. There was
>>> certainly nothing wrong with them, but.... I plan to try them in the
>>> hills tomorrow.
>>> Am I just an insensitive Philistine, incapable of appreciating expensive
>>> rolling works of art?

>> I've ridden the new mavic R-sys wheels and they are definitly very
>> stiff and will accelerate better than the fulcrum wheels, mostly
>> because of the 200g weight difference. At 1400g the R-sys is
>> definatly one of the lightest aluminum rimmed wheels out there, but at
>> $1400 its also one of the more expensive. I am not quite sold on
>> their carbon spoke idea especially for the rear wheel which uses half
>> carbon half aluminum spokes. If you are concerned about aerodynamics I
>> would venture to guess that 4mm round spokes would not perform the
>> best in a wind tunnel. As for the fulcrum wheels, they have fine
>> construction but are on the heavy side for the price you are paying
>> and don't have great aerodynamics to justify the weight.
>>
>> Steve Sauter

> I have a set of 1200g wheels I built myself for about $375, so I can't
> see any reason to even think about spending anywhere near $1400 for a
> heavier wheelset unless they are seriously aero.
>
> Joseph

Joseph,
Can you describe these wheels? It sounds as if they (1) don't have
exotic materials, and (2) must have relatively few spokes to approach
that weight level. What low spoke count hubs did you use? What type of
spokes, what rim?

I went climbing today on these wheels. I did a busy street that gets me
close to the climbing road, then I did the "hard" (2.6km at 6%) side
once, and the "easy" (4.1km at 5%) side twice. I totaled about 970 m
(3150 feet) of climbing, according to my bike computer.

The wheels felt fine - solid on the descents. I was able to use the
same gearing on this older, heavier bike that I used the week before on
my newer, lighter bike. The weight difference before swapping wheels
was about 550 g (1 pound, 2 ounces or so); I don't know how close the
bikes are now.

Still, I didn't feel any stunning improvement. Maybe I could always
have used the same gears despite the "huge" weight difference, but I
tend to call one my "flats" bike, and the other my "climbing" bike, and
use them accordingly.

Maybe I'll try one more ride, with the Fulcrums on the climbing bike,
although I'd expect even less of a difference there.

It's funny, one of my friends who is a once a week rider is buying the
new Shimano Dura Ace tubeless wheels - he claimed they were "noticeably
better" than the Mavic wheels that came on his Litespeed. (He also
tried the Mavic R-SYS wheelset, and didn't think they were anything
special.)

On Sep 15, 1:23 am, Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:

> >> I've ridden the new mavic R-sys wheels and they are definitly very
> >> stiff and will accelerate better than the fulcrum wheels, mostly
> >> because of the 200g weight difference. At 1400g the R-sys is
> >> definatly one of the lightest aluminum rimmed wheels out there, but at
> >> $1400 its also one of the more expensive. I am not quite sold on
> >> their carbon spoke idea especially for the rear wheel which uses half
> >> carbon half aluminum spokes. If you are concerned about aerodynamics I
> >> would venture to guess that 4mm round spokes would not perform the
> >> best in a wind tunnel. As for the fulcrum wheels, they have fine
> >> construction but are on the heavy side for the price you are paying
> >> and don't have great aerodynamics to justify the weight.

> >> Steve Sauter

> > I have a set of 1200g wheels I built myself for about $375, so I can't
> > see any reason to even think about spending anywhere near $1400 for a
> > heavier wheelset unless they are seriously aero.

> > Joseph

> Joseph,
> Can you describe these wheels? It sounds as if they (1) don't have
> exotic materials, and (2) must have relatively few spokes to approach
> that weight level. What low spoke count hubs did you use? What type of
> spokes, what rim?

28 DT Revolutions
Alloy nipples (I know brass is better, but low weight was the whole
point of these wheels)
Mavic Oro 10 tubular rims from eBay for 100 EUR
American Classic hubs (despite warnings by people I trust on this
NG...)

28 spokes may be on the low side for my high weight, but for normal
sized people they should be more than fine. I'd guess that my wheels
are stronger and stiffer than the low-spoke count high zoot wheels in
vouge.

As these are tubulars you can figure at least another 100g savings
over comparable tire/tube combos for the total wheelset weight.

These are my hilly race wheels so the potential extra hassle of
dealing with flats isn't an issue. For my day to day wheels I use
clinchers so I can more easily deal with the potential of multiple
flats on one ride.

Joseph

On Sep 15, 1:35 am, Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
> I went climbing today on these wheels. I did a busy street that gets me
> close to the climbing road, then I did the "hard" (2.6km at 6%) side
> once, and the "easy" (4.1km at 5%) side twice. I totaled about 970 m
> (3150 feet) of climbing, according to my bike computer.
>
> The wheels felt fine - solid on the descents. I was able to use the
> same gearing on this older, heavier bike that I used the week before on
> my newer, lighter bike. The weight difference before swapping wheels
> was about 550 g (1 pound, 2 ounces or so); I don't know how close the
> bikes are now.
>
> Still, I didn't feel any stunning improvement. Maybe I could always
> have used the same gears despite the "huge" weight difference, but I
> tend to call one my "flats" bike, and the other my "climbing" bike, and
> use them accordingly.
>
> Maybe I'll try one more ride, with the Fulcrums on the climbing bike,
> although I'd expect even less of a difference there.
>
> It's funny, one of my friends who is a once a week rider is buying the
> new Shimano Dura Ace tubeless wheels - he claimed they were "noticeably
> better" than the Mavic wheels that came on his Litespeed. (He also
> tried the Mavic R-SYS wheelset, and didn't think they were anything
> special.)

Beyond the first few pedal strokes to accelerate to speed from still
the differences in wheel weight won't be really any more noticable
than less weight somplace else on the bike. Like an empty waterbottle
for example.

Joseph

On Sep 14, 6:47 am, steve <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sep 13, 9:37 pm, Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Are these wheels considered a decent value for the money? The LBS has
> > loaned me a pair, and when I've "learned" something about them compared
> > to my current wheels, I'm supposed to try the new Mavic R-SYS wheels.

> > (Obviously, the owner wants to separate me from some of my money, but as
> > long as we both understand that....)

> > The bike I put the Fulcrum wheels on is equipped with shop-built wheels
> > consisting of Mavic Open Pro rims, 32 DT spokes (F & R), and Record
> > hubs. I've no idea what they weigh, but the complete bike is 19.75
> > pounds. (A newer bike, identical except for Bontrager Race Lite wheels,
> > is about 1.2 pounds lighter. I've been assuming nearly all the
> > difference is in the wheels, though the Record components are three
> > years newer.)

> > The Fulcrums are 16 aero spokes front, 21 rear. The rims are non-aero,
> > and have been machined down between the spoke holes. The nipples are
> > much larger than what I'm used to seeing. The inside of the rim has no
> > holes, so no rim tape is required. A pair is supposed to weigh 1570
> > grams. This compares well with Mavic Ksyrium ES and Campy Eurus, wheels
> > in roughly the same price range.

> > I rode the Fulcrum wheels today on a 69 km (43 mile) flat ride, and I
> > didn't notice anything special about them. I was told that I'd notice
> > how well they accelerated, that cornering was solid, etc. There was
> > certainly nothing wrong with them, but.... I plan to try them in the
> > hills tomorrow.

> > Am I just an insensitive Philistine, incapable of appreciating expensive
> > rolling works of art?

> I've ridden the new mavic R-sys wheels and they are definitly very
> stiff and will accelerate better than the fulcrum wheels, mostly
> because of the 200g weight difference.

ohhhhh pahhhleezze. Acceleration depends on the mass of the bike and
rider. 200 grams on a 85,000+ gram package is insignificant.

At 1400g the R-sys is
> definatly one of the lightest aluminum rimmed wheels out there, but at
> $1400 its also one of the more expensive. I am not quite sold on
> their carbon spoke idea especially for the rear wheel which uses half
> carbon half aluminum spokes. If you are concerned about aerodynamics I
> would venture to guess that 4mm round spokes would not perform the
> best in a wind tunnel. As for the fulcrum wheels, they have fine
> construction but are on the heavy side for the price you are paying
> and don't have great aerodynamics to justify the weight.
>
> Steve Sauter

"Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I've ridden the new mavic R-sys wheels and they are definitly very
> > stiff and will accelerate better than the fulcrum wheels, mostly
> > because of the 200g weight difference.

> ohhhhh pahhhleezze. Acceleration depends on the mass of the bike and
> rider. 200 grams on a 85,000+ gram package is insignificant.

He's probably thinking about rotating mass.

Let the fun begin.

Ted

--
Ted Bennett

On Sep 15, 5:38 pm, Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > I've ridden the new mavic R-sys wheels and they are definitly very
> > > stiff and will accelerate better than the fulcrum wheels, mostly
> > > because of the 200g weight difference.

> > ohhhhh pahhhleezze. Acceleration depends on the mass of the bike and
> > rider. 200 grams on a 85,000+ gram package is insignificant.

> He's probably thinking about rotating mass.
>
> Let the fun begin.
>
> Ted

http://www.charles.whitaker.name/wheels.html

Joseph

On Sep 15, 8:38 am, Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > I've ridden the new mavic R-sys wheels and they are definitly very
> > > stiff and will accelerate better than the fulcrum wheels, mostly
> > > because of the 200g weight difference.

> > ohhhhh pahhhleezze. Acceleration depends on the mass of the bike and
> > rider. 200 grams on a 85,000+ gram package is insignificant.

> He's probably thinking about rotating mass.
>
> Let the fun begin.
>
> Ted
>
> --
> Ted Bennett