Anyone know about how to get a grant

Shannon K

Jul 25, 2013
I am a 2 time cancer survivor, but the last one did a number on my body, I lost the use of my rt arm, i got some use back, but will be messed up forever

I heard there was a grant out there for 750.00 to help pay for a recumbent bike for disabled people, I have tried to ride my old bike, but it just is too painful, and since my surgery took out my arm, i've been basically stuck in my recliner, life has been very hard since

i know if i can get the grant i can save up the money to pay for the rest, i saw one at the bike shop that i think would work for someone like me, but 1,000 bucks is way out of my league

so if some one can tell me where i can apply for a grant to help pay for part of it, i can get out of this chair and hit the road again :)

thank you
Shannon

Shannon,

There is no one place to apply for grants. There are many state, local, US govt., private, etc. They can be age specific (i.e. for children), for Veterans, sponsored by private industry, or available in conjunction with local adaptive programs.

While you work on finding an applicable grant, try locating a local adaptive program and use whatever equipment and support they can provide.

Where do you live - general geography, no specifics if you feel uncomfortable. USA? Other?

And - congratulations on being a two time survivor!!

hi,
thanks for taking time to respond,
i'm in the twin cities.....st.paul/mpls mn usa
since i now fall under an amputee category, due to the nerve damage and muscle loss
i am hoping to find some help, i finally found a bike i could ride, but at $999.00 it's way out of my realm of reality being on soc. sec. now

shannon

I'll investigate to see what I can come up with through contacts. A couple of places for you to start getting involved ...

DSUSA - http://www.disabledsportsusa.org
Courage Center (MN) - http://www.couragecenter.org/ContentPages/sportsandrec.aspx

Courage Center locations could be problematic for you to get to, but some adaptive organizations have mobile programs that take equipment to various locations. I don't know enough about CC to know if their programs are free or subsidized for participants. At Maine Adaptive, all of our programs, instruction, and equipment is provided free of charge. Even if not free, CC should be able to get you started with cycling without a large investment or grant.

Have a look at the websites above and maybe make a phone call or two. They may immediately know of available grants for you. In the mean time I'll see if I can come up with anything.

Friend, I feel your pain, or rather, your soreness! Jokes aside, I'm all for finding creative solutions to get you back on the road. Have you considered looking into recumbent trikes instead of the traditional two-wheelers? They offer better stability and might be more forgiving for your situation. And hey, who says you can't bling out your ride with some shiny accessories while you're at it? But first, let me help you get that grant, because a smooth ride awaits, my friend! ;)