Anyone know anything about Laurent Fignon

Smudger

Guest
Remeber him. The pretty French boy with a bad temper.

He dropped out of a Tour in the late eighties or early nineties at the same time that I was on
holiday in Malta. A few days after he dropped out I saw a fit, expensively kitted out roadie belting
around Malta's roads and the person was the spitting image of the garlic eating bad-boy.

Anyone know if it's likely to have been him? Has he a holiday home in Malta perhaps?

He's been organising Paris-Nice for the last few years, though I think he's now relinquished that
role. He also commentates for Eurosport (France) and we occasionally get to see him on British
Eurosport doing previews and summaries.

Regards

TB

Smudger wrote:

> Remeber him. The pretty French boy with a bad temper.
>
> He dropped out of a Tour in the late eighties or early nineties at the same time that I was on
> holiday in Malta. A few days after he dropped out I saw a fit, expensively kitted out roadie
> belting around Malta's roads and the person was the spitting image of the garlic eating bad-boy.
>
> Anyone know if it's likely to have been him? Has he a holiday home in Malta perhaps?

Could have been him though there was a story of some Belgian bloke who looked like Fignon, kitted
himself out with replica bike, number and kit, joined the Le Tour peleton as it passed into
France one year.

On of my fovourite cycling videos is the1989 Tour, Fignon is arrogantly leading the race, Lemond
insists that its not over until its over ! Mmmm, BTW I was in Paris that day.

"Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Remeber him. The pretty French boy with a bad temper.
>
> He dropped out of a Tour in the late eighties or early nineties at the
same
> time that I was on holiday in Malta. A few days after he dropped out I
saw
> a fit, expensively kitted out roadie belting around Malta's roads and the person was the spitting
> image of the garlic eating bad-boy.
>
> Anyone know if it's likely to have been him? Has he a holiday home in
Malta
> perhaps?

Fignon would have beaten him if he hadn't been so arrogant and dismissed aerodynamic advances.

I'm inclined to agree, I thought Lemond was shot when he won the Chambery stage. Really admired his
self belief. I remember seeing Lemond in 91 on the day Pantani blew the race apart on the road to
Sestriere, I was cheering Lemond on, on a col (can't remember the name, Italian Border and a lake at
the top) he looked me right in the eye and was completely empty.

Still a great champion in my mind.

news:[email protected]...

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 19:05:28 +0100, M Series wrote:
>On of my fovourite cycling videos is the1989 Tour, Fignon is arrogantly leading the race, Lemond
>insists that its not over until its over ! Mmmm, BTW I was in Paris that day.

Then you saw the look on their faces, sheer delight and utter disappointment:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/cycling/fl89.jpg