Anyone know anything about this wheel?

Simon Brooke wrote:
> There's a Trice on eBay with a very interesting rear wheel:
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRICE-RECUMBE...yZ106949QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
> Anyone know anything about it? Are the 'spokes' really made of string as
> they appear to be?

The description says kevlar rear wheel, so if its not the hub or rim
made of kevlar (a tad unlikely, methinks), it'll be the spokes.

JimP

--
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to
grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after

Jim Price wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>> There's a Trice on eBay with a very interesting rear wheel:
>> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRICE-RECUMBE...yZ106949QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>>
>> Anyone know anything about it? Are the 'spokes' really made of
>> string as they appear to be?

> The description says kevlar rear wheel, so if its not the hub or rim
> made of kevlar (a tad unlikely, methinks), it'll be the spokes.

They're not spokes per se, but some kind of net of kevlar, protected with
plastic (Jobst says that kevlar's hygroscopic and fails when wet). They can
be attached to any 32 spoke rim with the right diameter.

see http://www.yellowjersey.org/wheel.html

and an r.b.t thread titled 'kevlar spokes'

--
Ambrose

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> There's a Trice on eBay with a very interesting rear wheel:
>
> Anyone know anything about it? Are the 'spokes' really made of string as
> they appear to be?

Well, I don't know about that one ('sugino tension-disc' apparently),
but there was a wheel marketed for mountain-biking that was kevlar
'string' spokes arranged in a web. Unfortunately, the name is evading
recall at the moment. Might have been made by Tioga?

Actually, some googlinm suggests the Tioga wheel is/was the Sugino
wheel - see eg http://www.yellowjersey.org/wheel.html

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On Fri, 31 Mar, Ambrose Nankivell <[email protected]> wrote:

> They're not spokes per se, but some kind of net of kevlar, protected with
> plastic (Jobst says that kevlar's hygroscopic and fails when wet).

True, to a point. It does absorb more water than the other common
advanced composites type fibres. The properties deteriorate when it
absorbs water, but I wouldn't necessarily categorise it as 'fails when
wet'. Also, it's not normally beyond the wit of man to keep something
dry (by, for example coating it with plastic or resin) and they do
make boats out of kevlar (in combination with other things).

It's a pig to cut with scissors, however (but there is a trick /
knack to manage it).

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
> Jim Price wrote:
>> it'll be the spokes.

> They're not spokes per se,

<snip>

> and an r.b.t thread titled 'kevlar spokes'

Why don't I feel contradicted ;)

JimP

--
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to
grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after
all. - DNA

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 20:23:04 +0100, Ambrose Nankivell quoted a certain iconoclast:

(Jobst says that kevlar's hygroscopic and fails when wet).

Ah, so that's why it's used for the sails of the most expensive racing
yachts!

Mike

Jim Price wrote:
> Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
>> Jim Price wrote:
>>> it'll be the spokes.

>> They're not spokes per se,

> <snip>
>> and an r.b.t thread titled 'kevlar spokes'

> Why don't I feel contradicted ;)

Well, they're not arranged radially, and they are brought up, erm,
tangentially to the OP's question. So you are contradicted.

So there! ;)
--
Ambrose

Mike Causer wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 20:23:04 +0100, Ambrose Nankivell quoted a
> certain iconoclast:
>
> (Jobst says that kevlar's hygroscopic and fails when wet).
>
> Ah, so that's why it's used for the sails of the most expensive racing
> yachts!

He actually gave the description that Teh Ian Smith gave above, and I
paraphrased him wrong. My apologies and a retraction.

I was actually thinking of posting here with an (OT) question about
composites this weekend. (The GRP bootlid of my car has a nasty texture and
discolouration and I was wondering if it would regain or lose colour if I
sanded it down, and if so, how to make it look slightly less tatty.)
--
Ambrose

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
> Jim Price wrote:
>>>
>>> They're not spokes per se,

>> <snip>
>>> and an r.b.t thread titled 'kevlar spokes'

>> Why don't I feel contradicted ;)

> Well, they're not arranged radially, and they are brought up, erm,
> tangentially to the OP's question. So you are contradicted.
>
> So there! ;)

But (stringing this along a bit) I still don't _feel_ it ;)

JimP

--

Mike Causer wrote:

>On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 20:23:04 +0100, Ambrose Nankivell quoted a certain iconoclast:
>
>(Jobst says that kevlar's hygroscopic and fails when wet).
>
>Ah, so that's why it's used for the sails of the most expensive racing
>yachts!

Well it could be that they aren't pure kevlar but a sandwich composite
of fibres and film.

On Fri, 31 Mar, Mike Causer <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Mar, Ambrose Nankivell quoted a certain iconoclast:
>
> (Jobst says that kevlar's hygroscopic and fails when wet).
>
> Ah, so that's why it's used for the sails of the most expensive racing
> yachts!

You seem to be assuming that "use in the most expensive xyz" equates
to "having a useful service life in the real world".

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Ian Smith wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> There's a Trice on eBay with a very interesting rear wheel:
>>
>> Anyone know anything about it? Are the 'spokes' really made of string as
>> they appear to be?

> Well, I don't know about that one ('sugino tension-disc' apparently),
> but there was a wheel marketed for mountain-biking that was kevlar
> 'string' spokes arranged in a web. Unfortunately, the name is evading
> recall at the moment. Might have been made by Tioga?
>
> Actually, some googlinm suggests the Tioga wheel is/was the Sugino
> wheel - see eg http://www.yellowjersey.org/wheel.html

Yes - John Tomac rode a Tioga Tension-Disk (sic) for MTB.

In article <[email protected]>, Simon
Brooke ([email protected]) wrote:
> There's a Trice on eBay with a very interesting rear wheel:
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRICE-RECUMBE...yZ106949QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
> Anyone know anything about it? Are the 'spokes' really made of string as
> they appear to be?

Kevlar string. I remember seeing a few examples of the Sugino Tension
Discs when they were new, but they can't have been that brilliant, or
else we'd all be using 'em...

The Real Slim Shady's gone to play tennis.

Dave Larrington wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Simon
> Brooke ([email protected]) wrote:
>> There's a Trice on eBay with a very interesting rear wheel:
>> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRICE-RECUMBE...yZ106949QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>>

>> Anyone know anything about it? Are the 'spokes' really made of
>> string as they appear to be?

> Kevlar string. I remember seeing a few examples of the Sugino
> Tension Discs when they were new, but they can't have been that
> brilliant, or else we'd all be using 'em...

And I'd imagine quite noisy which may be an issue on a bent with your
ears nearer the wheel.

--
Tony

right."