Anyone know of where to get a Syringe? (Seriously!)

Me

Guest
I'm going to overhaul my SIDs and want to find a big plastic Syringe to fill with the exact amount
of oil I need.

Anyone know where to get one?

I'm also looking for a small syringe with a needle on it to inject my grips with hairspray
before sliding them off. I use to do this at a bike shop I use to work at but cant rember where
we got em from.

As I'm not a drug user, I dont know about these things. Do they have any applications outside of the
medical field? Would a Pharmacy have what I'm looking for?

cheers,

Hi, I'm not sure if drugstores would restrict purchases or not but if you live near a farm supply
store, they would have them. My wife buys them occasionally for treating her horse. They do make her
sign some kind of tracking form (probably to limit useage for illegal substances) but it isn't a

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:14:44 +0100, "Me" <[email protected]> wrote:

>As I'm not a drug user, I dont know about these things. Do they have any applications outside of
>the medical field? Would a Pharmacy have what I'm looking for?

Yes.

Jasper

I use a syringe to inject T-9 oil into the sealed bearing unit on my Rollers. For oil injection
I would recommend a 10cc21G1. If you use anything smaller it is going to be difficult to draw
and inject..

If you use the smaller hypodermic then there is a danger of pricking yourself... (and it doesn't
move oil well)

I don't know about hair spray...as I am quite shaved.... 3M makes an spray adhesive that you'll grow
to hate if oversprayed... It is very good as an adhesive....

NS

buy one of those meat injectors at the grocery store. They use them for injecting meat directly with
marinade. They are basically a syringe with a blunter needle. I would just cut the grips ff and buy
new ones though.

PS. hairspray is for installing grips, try using water first, never heard of using hairspray to
remove grips.

Me wrote:
> I'm going to overhaul my SIDs and want to find a big plastic Syringe to fill with the exact amount
> of oil I need.
>
> Anyone know where to get one?
>
> I'm also looking for a small syringe with a needle on it to inject my grips with hairspray before
> sliding them off. I use to do this at a bike shop I use to work at but cant rember where we got
> em from.
>
> As I'm not a drug user, I dont know about these things. Do they have any applications outside of
> the medical field? Would a Pharmacy have what I'm looking for?
>
> cheers,

I've found syninges with blunt needles at computer stores for (among other thing) adding ink to
cartridges to refill them. That's the kind of syringe that I typically use for the kind of thing
that you're trying to do.

David

"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm going to overhaul my SIDs and want to find a big plastic Syringe to fill with the exact amount
> of oil I need.
>
> Anyone know where to get one?
>
> I'm also looking for a small syringe with a needle on it to inject my grips with hairspray before
> sliding them off. I use to do this at a bike shop I use to work at but cant rember where we got
> em from.
>
> As I'm not a drug user, I dont know about these things. Do they have any applications outside of
> the medical field? Would a Pharmacy have what I'm looking for?
>
> cheers,

<http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=189945184640&d=single&c=Catalog%20Additions&sc=Suspension-
&tc=Oil%20Level%20Gauge&item_id=MP-OLG>

<http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=189945184640&d=single&c=Tools&sc=Suspension%20Fork&tc=Oil-
%20Syringes&item_id=RS-SYR>

<http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=189945184640&d=single&c=Shop%20Aids&sc=Workshop%20Supplie-
s&tc=Containers&item_id=WS-6904>

<http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=189945184640&d=single&c=Shop%20Aids&sc=Workshop%20Supplie-
s&tc=Containers&item_id=WS-6903>

Also, I've often seen syringes, with and without needles, at hardware stores. I don't think the
needles on these industrial syringes are fine enough to use for medical purposes and thus there's no
regulation.

"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm going to overhaul my SIDs and want to find a big plastic Syringe to fill with the exact amount
> of oil I need.
>
> Anyone know where to get one?
>
> I'm also looking for a small syringe with a needle on it to inject my grips with hairspray before
> sliding them off. I use to do this at a bike shop I use to work at but cant rember where we got
> em from.
>
> As I'm not a drug user, I dont know about these things. Do they have any applications outside of
> the medical field? Would a Pharmacy have what I'm looking for?
>
> cheers,

You might be better off with fully plastic syringes. We got these for giving medicine to infants. It
doesn't have the super sharp metal tip , but you probably don't need that anyway. I bet you can buy
them at a pharmacy also.

"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I'm going to overhaul my SIDs and want to find a big plastic Syringe to fill with the exact amount
> of oil I need.

Hypodermic syringes have 1001 non-medical uses. When I was a lad I even used them while fishing to
inflate worms to make them look bigger and have more bouyancy.

> Anyone know where to get one?

The easiest way is to obtain them is from a friend or a friend of a friend in the medical
profession. If you don't know anyone than next time you see your doctor for anything you might ask
real nice and explain what you want to use it for; chances are your doc will give you an handfull of
them, unless of course you have tracks on your arms ;)

> As I'm not a drug user, I dont know about these things. Do they have any applications outside of
> the medical field? Would a Pharmacy have what I'm looking for?

In general a drug store will not sell you hypodermic syringes without a perscription. A quick web
search turned up a few sites that appear to sell them over the internet without a perscription. If
all other avenues fail you could try them.

ride with the wind...

Bruce
--
Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company

I know you can buy these from retailers who sell expoxy for woodworking purposes, for example. One
chain if you're in North America is Woodcraft:

www.woodcraft.com

They are even better than medical syringes for these purposes because they hold a larger volume of
material and have twist-off, bayonet lock, replaceable syringe needles which are sold in sets for
fairly nominal cost. Another woodworking source I know of is Rockler (www.rockler.com).

Hope this helps.

Brad

"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm going to overhaul my SIDs and want to find a big plastic Syringe to fill with the exact amount
> of oil I need.
>
> Anyone know where to get one?
>
> I'm also looking for a small syringe with a needle on it to inject my grips with hairspray before
> sliding them off. I use to do this at a bike shop I use to work at but cant rember where we got
> em from.
>
> As I'm not a drug user, I dont know about these things. Do they have any applications outside of
> the medical field? Would a Pharmacy have what I'm looking for?
>
> cheers,

"pedro sells an injector for pedro's silicone grease, standard guns ahve needle tips, and then
there's the model train and model airplane industry who spin off from small electric motors and
stuff like that. searching google is fun but ya gotta phrase the search words from general to
specific as in the google blue logic stream at page top.

RE/
>I'm also looking for a small syringe with a needle on it to inject my grips with hairspray before
>sliding them off.

The syringe probably works best, but I've been having pretty good luck with sticking a fairly-thin
Phillips-head screweriver under the rubber and then squirting in some plain old water from an old
GatorAid bottle with the squirt cap.

Water works the other way too...
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:37:59 GMT, "NS>" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I use a syringe to inject T-9 oil into the sealed bearing unit on my Rollers. For oil injection
>I would recommend a 10cc21G1. If you use anything smaller it is going to be difficult to draw
>and inject..

Hobby shops sell blunt syringes for glue and lube applications.

You could also try <http://www.micromark.com> or <http://www.towerhobbies.com>

Barry

"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm going to overhaul my SIDs and want to find a big plastic Syringe to
fill
> with the exact amount of oil I need.
>
> Anyone know where to get one?
>
> I'm also looking for a small syringe with a needle on it to inject my
grips
> with hairspray before sliding them off. I use to do this at a bike shop I use to work at but cant
> rember where we got em from.
>
> As I'm not a drug user, I dont know about these things. Do they have any applications outside of
> the medical field? Would a Pharmacy have what I'm looking for?
>
> cheers,

Pharmacies will only carry the small 0.5cc - 3cc insulin syringes. A medical supply store should
carry the larger 60cc non-sterile syringes with a long blunt tip used for enemas -ouch!

"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm going to overhaul my SIDs and want to find a big plastic Syringe to
fill
> with the exact amount of oil I need.
>
> Anyone know where to get one?
>
> I'm also looking for a small syringe with a needle on it to inject my
grips
> with hairspray before sliding them off. I use to do this at a bike shop I use to work at but cant
> rember where we got em from.
>
> As I'm not a drug user, I dont know about these things. Do they have any applications outside of
> the medical field? Would a Pharmacy have what I'm looking for?

Welcome to the War On Drugs (tm)!

Tim.

---

Look for a feeding syringe for infants. Sorry, no needle.

-Dion

"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm going to overhaul my SIDs and want to find a big plastic Syringe to
fill
> with the exact amount of oil I need.
>
> Anyone know where to get one?

You can find a nice assortment of plastic syringes from a herpetology supply store on the web,
tongs.com:

http://www.tongs.com/shop/index.php?GrID=40&PrID=46

I just ordered a couple to use in changing the oil in my Rohloff Speedhub, and received them
very promptly.

How exactly one uses large plastic syringes in the cultivation of snakes is beyond me, but the more
I think about it, the less I want to know.

Hope that helps.

Ed Kleinbard

On 18 Jun 2003 18:44:44 -0700, [email protected] (Edward Kleinbard) wrote:

>You can find a nice assortment of plastic syringes from a herpetology supply store on the web,
>tongs.com:
>
>http://www.tongs.com/shop/index.php?GrID=40&PrID=46
>
>I just ordered a couple to use in changing the oil in my Rohloff Speedhub, and received them very
>promptly.
>
>How exactly one uses large plastic syringes in the cultivation of snakes is beyond me, but the more
>I think about it, the less I want to know.
>
>Hope that helps.
>
>Ed Kleinbard

Well, just for the sake of increasing the general knowledge, they're used for measuring stuff, and
mainly for medicating and force feeding (tube feeding) reptiles that won't eat.

(Sorry, I know you didn't ask)

Orchard Supply carries plastic syringes with various tip sizes. I use them for applying oil, and I
keep one in my road rash kit for irrigating the wound with a high pressure stream of water.

You'll find them in the glue section of the store.