Anyone know of where to get a Syringe? (Seriously!)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Me, Jun 18, 2003.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    I'm going to overhaul my SIDs and want to find a big plastic Syringe to fill with the exact amount
    of oil I need.

    Anyone know where to get one?

    I'm also looking for a small syringe with a needle on it to inject my grips with hairspray
    before sliding them off. I use to do this at a bike shop I use to work at but cant rember where
    we got em from.

    As I'm not a drug user, I dont know about these things. Do they have any applications outside of the
    medical field? Would a Pharmacy have what I'm looking for?

    cheers,

    Tags:

  2. Res09c5t

    Res09c5t Guest

    Hi, I'm not sure if drugstores would restrict purchases or not but if you live near a farm supply
    store, they would have them. My wife buys them occasionally for treating her horse. They do make her
    sign some kind of tracking form (probably to limit useage for illegal substances) but it isn't a

  3. On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:14:44 +0100, "Me" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >As I'm not a drug user, I dont know about these things. Do they have any applications outside of
    >the medical field? Would a Pharmacy have what I'm looking for?

    Yes.

    Jasper

  4. Ns>

    Ns> Guest

    I use a syringe to inject T-9 oil into the sealed bearing unit on my Rollers. For oil injection
    I would recommend a 10cc21G1. If you use anything smaller it is going to be difficult to draw
    and inject..

    If you use the smaller hypodermic then there is a danger of pricking yourself... (and it doesn't
    move oil well)

    I don't know about hair spray...as I am quite shaved.... 3M makes an spray adhesive that you'll grow
    to hate if oversprayed... It is very good as an adhesive....

    NS

  5. Ari

    Ari Guest

    buy one of those meat injectors at the grocery store. They use them for injecting meat directly with
    marinade. They are basically a syringe with a blunter needle. I would just cut the grips ff and buy
    new ones though.

    PS. hairspray is for installing grips, try using water first, never heard of using hairspray to
    remove grips.

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm going to overhaul my SIDs and want to find a big plastic Syringe to
    fill
    > with the exact amount of oil I need.
    >
    > Anyone know where to get one?
    >
    > I'm also looking for a small syringe with a needle on it to inject my
    grips
    > with hairspray before sliding them off. I use to do this at a bike shop I use to work at but cant
    > rember where we got em from.
    >
    > As I'm not a drug user, I dont know about these things. Do they have any applications outside of
    > the medical field? Would a Pharmacy have what I'm looking for?
    >
    > cheers,

  6. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Me wrote:
    > I'm going to overhaul my SIDs and want to find a big plastic Syringe to fill with the exact amount
    > of oil I need.
    >
    > Anyone know where to get one?
    >
    > I'm also looking for a small syringe with a needle on it to inject my grips with hairspray before
    > sliding them off. I use to do this at a bike shop I use to work at but cant rember where we got
    > em from.
    >
    > As I'm not a drug user, I dont know about these things. Do they have any applications outside of
    > the medical field? Would a Pharmacy have what I'm looking for?
    >
    > cheers,

    I've found syninges with blunt needles at computer stores for (among other thing) adding ink to
    cartridges to refill them. That's the kind of syringe that I typically use for the kind of thing
    that you're trying to do.

    David

  7. Gary Young

    Gary Young Guest

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm going to overhaul my SIDs and want to find a big plastic Syringe to fill with the exact amount
    > of oil I need.
    >
    > Anyone know where to get one?
    >
    > I'm also looking for a small syringe with a needle on it to inject my grips with hairspray before
    > sliding them off. I use to do this at a bike shop I use to work at but cant rember where we got
    > em from.
    >
    > As I'm not a drug user, I dont know about these things. Do they have any applications outside of
    > the medical field? Would a Pharmacy have what I'm looking for?
    >
    > cheers,

    <http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=189945184640&d=single&c=Catalog%20Additions&sc=Suspension-
    &tc=Oil%20Level%20Gauge&item_id=MP-OLG>

    <http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=189945184640&d=single&c=Tools&sc=Suspension%20Fork&tc=Oil-
    %20Syringes&item_id=RS-SYR>

    <http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=189945184640&d=single&c=Shop%20Aids&sc=Workshop%20Supplie-
    s&tc=Containers&item_id=WS-6904>

    <http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=189945184640&d=single&c=Shop%20Aids&sc=Workshop%20Supplie-
    s&tc=Containers&item_id=WS-6903>

    Also, I've often seen syringes, with and without needles, at hardware stores. I don't think the
    needles on these industrial syringes are fine enough to use for medical purposes and thus there's no
    regulation.

  8. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<3e[email protected]>...
    > I'm going to overhaul my SIDs and want to find a big plastic Syringe to fill with the exact amount
    > of oil I need.
    >
    > Anyone know where to get one?
    >
    > I'm also looking for a small syringe with a needle on it to inject my grips with hairspray before
    > sliding them off. I use to do this at a bike shop I use to work at but cant rember where we got
    > em from.
    >
    > As I'm not a drug user, I dont know about these things. Do they have any applications outside of
    > the medical field? Would a Pharmacy have what I'm looking for?
    >
    > cheers,

    You might be better off with fully plastic syringes. We got these for giving medicine to infants. It
    doesn't have the super sharp metal tip , but you probably don't need that anyway. I bet you can buy
    them at a pharmacy also.

  9. "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I'm going to overhaul my SIDs and want to find a big plastic Syringe to fill with the exact amount
    > of oil I need.

    Hypodermic syringes have 1001 non-medical uses. When I was a lad I even used them while fishing to
    inflate worms to make them look bigger and have more bouyancy.

    > Anyone know where to get one?

    The easiest way is to obtain them is from a friend or a friend of a friend in the medical
    profession. If you don't know anyone than next time you see your doctor for anything you might ask
    real nice and explain what you want to use it for; chances are your doc will give you an handfull of
    them, unless of course you have tracks on your arms ;)

    > As I'm not a drug user, I dont know about these things. Do they have any applications outside of
    > the medical field? Would a Pharmacy have what I'm looking for?

    In general a drug store will not sell you hypodermic syringes without a perscription. A quick web
    search turned up a few sites that appear to sell them over the internet without a perscription. If
    all other avenues fail you could try them.

    ride with the wind...

    Bruce
    --
    Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company

  10. Brad

    Brad Guest

    I know you can buy these from retailers who sell expoxy for woodworking purposes, for example. One
    chain if you're in North America is Woodcraft:

    www.woodcraft.com

    They are even better than medical syringes for these purposes because they hold a larger volume of
    material and have twist-off, bayonet lock, replaceable syringe needles which are sold in sets for
    fairly nominal cost. Another woodworking source I know of is Rockler (www.rockler.com).

    Hope this helps.

    Brad

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm going to overhaul my SIDs and want to find a big plastic Syringe to fill with the exact amount
    > of oil I need.
    >
    > Anyone know where to get one?
    >
    > I'm also looking for a small syringe with a needle on it to inject my grips with hairspray before
    > sliding them off. I use to do this at a bike shop I use to work at but cant rember where we got
    > em from.
    >
    > As I'm not a drug user, I dont know about these things. Do they have any applications outside of
    > the medical field? Would a Pharmacy have what I'm looking for?
    >
    > cheers,

  11. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    "pedro sells an injector for pedro's silicone grease, standard guns ahve needle tips, and then
    there's the model train and model airplane industry who spin off from small electric motors and
    stuff like that. searching google is fun but ya gotta phrase the search words from general to
    specific as in the google blue logic stream at page top.

  12. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >I'm also looking for a small syringe with a needle on it to inject my grips with hairspray before
    >sliding them off.

    The syringe probably works best, but I've been having pretty good luck with sticking a fairly-thin
    Phillips-head screweriver under the rubber and then squirting in some plain old water from an old
    GatorAid bottle with the squirt cap.

    Water works the other way too...
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  13. On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:37:59 GMT, "NS>" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I use a syringe to inject T-9 oil into the sealed bearing unit on my Rollers. For oil injection
    >I would recommend a 10cc21G1. If you use anything smaller it is going to be difficult to draw
    >and inject..

    Hobby shops sell blunt syringes for glue and lube applications.

    You could also try <http://www.micromark.com> or <http://www.towerhobbies.com>

    Barry

  14. "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm going to overhaul my SIDs and want to find a big plastic Syringe to
    fill
    > with the exact amount of oil I need.
    >
    > Anyone know where to get one?
    >
    > I'm also looking for a small syringe with a needle on it to inject my
    grips
    > with hairspray before sliding them off. I use to do this at a bike shop I use to work at but cant
    > rember where we got em from.
    >
    > As I'm not a drug user, I dont know about these things. Do they have any applications outside of
    > the medical field? Would a Pharmacy have what I'm looking for?
    >
    > cheers,

    Pharmacies will only carry the small 0.5cc - 3cc insulin syringes. A medical supply store should
    carry the larger 60cc non-sterile syringes with a long blunt tip used for enemas -ouch!

  15. Tim Cain

    Tim Cain Guest

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm going to overhaul my SIDs and want to find a big plastic Syringe to
    fill
    > with the exact amount of oil I need.
    >
    > Anyone know where to get one?
    >
    > I'm also looking for a small syringe with a needle on it to inject my
    grips
    > with hairspray before sliding them off. I use to do this at a bike shop I use to work at but cant
    > rember where we got em from.
    >
    > As I'm not a drug user, I dont know about these things. Do they have any applications outside of
    > the medical field? Would a Pharmacy have what I'm looking for?

    Welcome to the War On Drugs (tm)!

    Tim.

    ---

  16. Dion Dock

    Dion Dock Guest

    Look for a feeding syringe for infants. Sorry, no needle.

    -Dion

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm going to overhaul my SIDs and want to find a big plastic Syringe to
    fill
    > with the exact amount of oil I need.
    >
    > Anyone know where to get one?

  17. You can find a nice assortment of plastic syringes from a herpetology supply store on the web,
    tongs.com:

    http://www.tongs.com/shop/index.php?GrID=40&PrID=46

    I just ordered a couple to use in changing the oil in my Rohloff Speedhub, and received them
    very promptly.

    How exactly one uses large plastic syringes in the cultivation of snakes is beyond me, but the more
    I think about it, the less I want to know.

    Hope that helps.

    Ed Kleinbard

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm going to overhaul my SIDs and want to find a big plastic Syringe to fill with the exact amount
    > of oil I need.
    >
    > Anyone know where to get one?
    >
    > I'm also looking for a small syringe with a needle on it to inject my grips with hairspray before
    > sliding them off. I use to do this at a bike shop I use to work at but cant rember where we got
    > em from.
    >
    > As I'm not a drug user, I dont know about these things. Do they have any applications outside of
    > the medical field? Would a Pharmacy have what I'm looking for?
    >
    > cheers,

  18. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    On 18 Jun 2003 18:44:44 -0700, [email protected] (Edward Kleinbard) wrote:

    >You can find a nice assortment of plastic syringes from a herpetology supply store on the web,
    >tongs.com:
    >
    >http://www.tongs.com/shop/index.php?GrID=40&PrID=46
    >
    >I just ordered a couple to use in changing the oil in my Rohloff Speedhub, and received them very
    >promptly.
    >
    >How exactly one uses large plastic syringes in the cultivation of snakes is beyond me, but the more
    >I think about it, the less I want to know.
    >
    >Hope that helps.
    >
    >Ed Kleinbard

    Well, just for the sake of increasing the general knowledge, they're used for measuring stuff, and
    mainly for medicating and force feeding (tube feeding) reptiles that won't eat.

    (Sorry, I know you didn't ask)

  19. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Orchard Supply carries plastic syringes with various tip sizes. I use them for applying oil, and I
    keep one in my road rash kit for irrigating the wound with a high pressure stream of water.

    You'll find them in the glue section of the store.