Anyone know where I can get Custom 20" forks built (titanium maybe)?

dannyg1

Guest
I just got a Soma Ti-journey folder frame and the forks that came with
it are too heavy and wide. I'm thinking of having some custom forks
made and I'm wondering if anyone here might know where I could get
that done in a cost effective manner?

Maybe Mrazek?

Thabks,
DG1

dannyg1 wrote:

> I just got a Soma Ti-journey folder frame and the forks that came with
> it are too heavy and wide. I'm thinking of having some custom forks
> made and I'm wondering if anyone here might know where I could get
> that done in a cost effective manner?
>
> Maybe Mrazek?

Rotator fabricates their own titanium alloy frames and forks, and does
work for other manufacturers. The fork from the Ti-Tiger might works on
your folder, or you could see if they would do one with custom offset.
<http://rotatorrecumbent.com/>.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

A number of people have used

http://www.xacd.com.cn/

for frame fabrication. They may do forks as well. Their prices are impossible to compete from US mfctrs.

dannyg1 said:
I just got a Soma Ti-journey folder frame and the forks that
DG1

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:19:14 -0600, dianne_1234
<[email protected]> may have said:

>On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:11:41 +1100, jasong
><[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>A number of people have used
>>
>>http://www.xacd.com.cn/
>>
>>for frame fabrication. They may do forks as well. Their prices are
>>impossible to compete from US mfctrs.

>Especially the road frame pictured here:
>http://www.xacd.com.cn/picture.htm
>The rear end sure looks like a Litespeed!

Some of their pictures apparently were swapped right-to-left before
they were put on the website; many show the der hanger on what would
be the left side dropout. (The picture in the second link is the
right way around, but several of the others aren't.)

dianne_1234 wrote:
> The rear end sure looks like a Litespeed!

Well, I think the aluminum Litespeeds are made in China already...its
probably only a matter of time. Sigh...

dianne_1234 wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:11:41 +1100, jasong
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>A number of people have used
>>
>>http://www.xacd.com.cn/
>>
>>for frame fabrication. They may do forks as well. Their prices are
>>impossible to compete from US mfctrs.

> Especially the road frame pictured here:
> http://www.xacd.com.cn/picture.htm
> The rear end sure looks like a Litespeed!

Shimano Dura-ace stuff goes straight onto their frames without any
problems and the frames are definately very strong. They probably don't
have the same high finish as Litespeed but they'll make custom frames
for an extra US$50 including a drawing for you. You can get the frame
polished and other things done too if you ask.(Like internal cable routing.)

Oscar (mart at geo dot net dot au)

Around a year ago they were under $400 for a stock road frame.

Other costs that aren't under their control: S&H (around $80), and wire transfer fees (as much as $70).

If you think you'll buy something, let me know. Therer are tricks for minimizing the wire transfer ($10) I didn't know when I did mine.

the prancing dragon:depressing.
say dasong, what does the road frame cost?

so i can order an appalachian? can i get a dozen jeans, 2 suits, and a
46' ketch thrown in?
NPR had a crazy woman on getting tucks and liposuction in Kyrzerisatyn
for 25% USA costs.
i can get an custom sized appalachian for $600!
holy dungheep gordon!

> NPR had a crazy woman on getting tucks and liposuction in Kyrzerisatyn
> for 25% USA costs....

I thought "Kyrzerisatyn" was the latest wheel from Mavic. ;)

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Thanks for the info Tom. Ill call and ask wha they think can be done.
Judging by their website prices, it'll probably cost as much as the
frame did!

DG1

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:34:25 -0600, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>dannyg1 wrote:
>
>> I just got a Soma Ti-journey folder frame and the forks that came with
>> it are too heavy and wide. I'm thinking of having some custom forks
>> made and I'm wondering if anyone here might know where I could get
>> that done in a cost effective manner?
>>
>> Maybe Mrazek?

>Rotator fabricates their own titanium alloy frames and forks, and does
>work for other manufacturers. The fork from the Ti-Tiger might works on
>your folder, or you could see if they would do one with custom offset.
><http://rotatorrecumbent.com/>.

Jasong,

Thanks for an interesting idea. Do these people do custom one-offs? I
guess I'll write and see what they can do...

DG1

<[email protected]> wrote:

>A number of people have used
>
>http://www.xacd.com.cn/
>
>for frame fabrication. They may do forks as well. Their prices are
>impossible to compete from US mfctrs.
>
>dannyg1 Wrote:
>> I just got a Soma Ti-journey folder frame and the forks that
>> DG1

I think so, but I don't know about what they do for forks. As another posted, the custom charge doesn't inflate the price like one may be accustomed to seeing. PS - you'll probably be communicating by email. Keep us updated as to what you find out.

dannyg1 said:
Thanks for an interesting idea. Do these people do custom one-offs? I
guess I'll write and see what they can do...
>> DG1[/color][/color]

It's not really a question of if one can do this, it's how much it's going to cost. Another guy that helped me make this decision had a problem with where they located the brake bridge on the rear stays (they put it in the wrong spot), but they took care of it. I don't doubt that they'll honor their warranty. You're just eating up some $30-60 each time you have a problem.

Also, don't think that they don't do fast work. Once they had verified the wired money was in their account, I had a custom frame in less than 10 days. That was part of my reasoning for doing it. There was no where else that could turn it around that quickly.

I don't value the lifetime warranty offered by the other frame mfctrs so much. Any crash or questionable abuse isn't going to be honored. Or they'll make you a "deal" and charge you only $500 to fix it, which is the cost of buying it elsewhere.

ask them if the buyer can send it back if it falls

a) and did jasong see touch and inspect the aforementioned frame before
sending the money?
b)can you compare your frame to the other inexpensive Ti frames in the
US
and i assume those others are made in China?

the idea that lightspeed's frames or some L frames are chinese is
somewhat gaulling and not completely believable given the Lightflack.
and the covers are soooo beautiful. nicenice. always a pleasure finding
one in the mail.

i don't need Ti-many have said that Light did not sell any appalachians
for with the addition of two cans of beans who needs Ti?
the concept is something like the Savage over under 16Ga/222. hey,
paint it!

but the idea of a custom sized touring frame for memememewannawannaone
at 6'4" 165 when my 58 year powerdownstroke kneecaps are not exactly in
the french heel position at stock top tube lengths...errrk.

well now that's an interesting price and lemmesee how many 6'4"... not
many-see stock cycle shoe sizes-

but the path is upon us.

then again this entire post could be a scam.

How would it be possible to touch and inspect a frame that hadn´t yet been fabricated (and how does this differ regardless of their location)? Weld quality seems to be high, but that's subjective observation and you don't know me nor do I have a way to quantify it. It´s an aerospace mfctr, so they may have more experience than the big $$ [bike frame building] companies here. Several of the inexpensive and expensive companies here use them as a contractor. I'd advise you to do your own research if you're more skeptical than relying on the findings of the handful of people that have purchased these and report your results to the forums.

dannyg1 wrote:

> Thanks for the info Tom. Ill call and ask wha they think can be done.
> Judging by their website prices, it'll probably cost as much as the
> frame did!

Most things recumbent are more expensive than their upright equivalents,
due to non-standardization and low production volumes. Rotator's prices
are not out of line compared to other recumbent builders.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth