Anyone miss Cipo?

There's no issue, then. Cipo always is very generous towards his teammates. Indeed, when he lost the
first sprint in the Giro, his primary expressed concern was that he had let them down, squandering
their effort.

Dan

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> "Todd Kuzma" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>Why do folks here hate winners so much?
>

> I don't dislike winners, but I do dislike prima donnas.
>

> K. Gringioni fan of The Lion Queen

"Daniel Connelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> There's no issue, then.

"The Tour de France is not the best showcase for my talents" - Cipo, after dropping out of the
199(2?) Tour de France, frustrated that there were a series of successful breakaways in the opening
days. On a flat stage, he broke away solo, won the first point sprint, then dropped out.

How about his "retirement" last year? forcing Franco Ballerini to postpone his planning for Squadra
Azzuri last year until he made up his mind.

"I am not only the fastest cyclist in the world, I am also the best looking" - Cipo, sometime in the
early 90's.

He's exhibited plenty of self-centered behavior such as that. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be a
fan of him - most people are. But don't try to tell me what my opinion should be. Cipo sucks.

We should also remeber the Cipo looked like a lot more of a challenger to Petachi then Zabel, McEwen, Cooke, Freire or any other sprinter in the tour when Cipo was in the giro. Petachi is probably the fastest man in the world, but at least Cipo can compete. Now the sprints are an absolute joke. If Petachi isn;t dropped he wins by a mile.

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> "Daniel Connelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>There's no issue, then.
>

> "The Tour de France is not the best showcase for my talents" - Cipo, after dropping out of the
> 199(2?) Tour de France, frustrated that there were a series of successful breakaways in the
> opening days. On a flat stage, he broke away solo, won the first point sprint, then dropped out.
>
> How about his "retirement" last year? forcing Franco Ballerini to postpone his planning for
> Squadra Azzuri last year until he made up his mind.
>
> "I am not only the fastest cyclist in the world, I am also the best looking" - Cipo, sometime in
> the early 90's.
>
> He's exhibited plenty of self-centered behavior such as that. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be a
> fan of him - most people are. But don't try to tell me what my opinion should be. Cipo sucks.

WRT the "retirement" -- I can't really comment. If it was a negotiation tactic, what's the
complaint?

WRT the other examples -- they're a decade old. Not terribly relevent.

Dan

Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:

> How about his "retirement" last year? forcing Franco Ballerini to postpone his planning for
> Squadra Azzuri last year until he made up his mind.

> "I am not only the fastest cyclist in the world, I am also the best looking" - Cipo, sometime in
> the early 90's.

> He's exhibited plenty of self-centered behavior such as that. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be a
> fan of him - most people are. But don't try to tell me what my opinion should be. Cipo sucks.

Cipo is funny and entertaining. Henry, you bust Pantani's chops for being an entertainer and
then wanting privacy. But when Cipo acts up - as an entertainer - beyond just winning races, you
bust him for lacking propriety or seriousness or class or something like that. He is serious,
but also mercurial. There is a place for that. And after all the antics, he did come up with the
goods at Worlds.

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 08:00:24 +0950, lazysegall wrote:

> We should also remeber the Cipo looked like a lot more of a challenger to Petachi then Zabel,
> McEwen, Cooke, Freire or any other sprinter in the tour when Cipo was in the giro. Petachi is
> probably the fastest man in the world, but at least Cipo can compete. Now the sprints are an
> absolute joke. If Petachi isn;t dropped he wins by a mile.

Yes and Cipo was a character too. He had ~style~

The pro circuit is really lacking sprinters that have style or at least are likeable/hateable
characters in their own right.

I mean, Zabel and McWhiner are OK, but blokes like Vanderaerden, Kelly, the Tashkent Terror and Cipo
had ~class~ with a Capital ~C~.

"Lantern Rouge" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 08:00:24 +0950, lazysegall wrote:
>
> > We should also remeber the Cipo looked like a lot more of a challenger to Petachi then Zabel,
> > McEwen, Cooke, Freire or any other sprinter in the tour when Cipo was in the giro. Petachi is
> > probably the fastest man in the world, but at least Cipo can compete. Now the sprints are an
> > absolute joke. If Petachi isn;t dropped he wins by a mile.
>
> Yes and Cipo was a character too. He had ~style~

Ya, and I think his style sucks.

BTW, I'm not saying that you shouldn't like him. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

"Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > How about his "retirement" last year? forcing Franco Ballerini to
postpone
> > his planning for Squadra Azzuri last year until he made up his mind.
>
> > "I am not only the fastest cyclist in the world, I am also the best looking" - Cipo, sometime in
> > the early 90's.
>
> > He's exhibited plenty of self-centered behavior such as that. That
doesn't
> > mean you shouldn't be a fan of him - most people are. But don't try to
tell
> > me what my opinion should be. Cipo sucks.
>
> Cipo is funny and entertaining. Henry, you bust Pantani's chops for being an entertainer and
> then wanting privacy. But when Cipo acts up - as an entertainer - beyond just winning races, you
> bust him for lacking propriety or seriousness or class or something like that. He is serious,
> but also mercurial. There is a place for that. And after all the antics, he did come up with the
> goods at Worlds.

You've got your head up your ass because such opinions are subjective.

I don't try to tell you what you should like (and what you shouldn't like).

"Daniel Connelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> > "Daniel Connelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>There's no issue, then.
> >

> > "The Tour de France is not the best showcase for my talents" - Cipo,
after
> > dropping out of the 199(2?) Tour de France, frustrated that there were a series of successful
> > breakaways in the opening days. On a flat stage, he broke away solo, won the first point sprint,
> > then dropped out.
> >
> > How about his "retirement" last year? forcing Franco Ballerini to
postpone
> > his planning for Squadra Azzuri last year until he made up his mind.
> >
> > "I am not only the fastest cyclist in the world, I am also the best looking" - Cipo, sometime in
> > the early 90's.
> >
> > He's exhibited plenty of self-centered behavior such as that. That
doesn't
> > mean you shouldn't be a fan of him - most people are. But don't try to
tell
> > me what my opinion should be. Cipo sucks.
>

> WRT the "retirement" -- I can't really comment. If it was a negotiation
tactic,
> what's the complaint?
>
> WRT the other examples -- they're a decade old. Not terribly relevent.

You've got your head up your ass because such opinions are subjective.

I don't try to tell you what you should like (and what you shouldn't like).

Nev Shea <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> So the sprints could be more interesting with him there, and then he could add some entertainment
> by some antic like wearing a toga. But I don't think the race is really suffering without him.

I finally figured out who misses Cipo -- it's Lance! Actually, he would only miss having Cipo's team
to use like Heras did in last year's Vuelta (zebra clad lead out up the Angliru -- HA!) after Cipo
dropped out. That could help if any of these theories of other teams ganging up on Lance come true.

And if Cipo was in this Tour, he would surely drop out before the first mountain, seeing no reason
to continue just to get spanked by Petacchi again. Forget about his promises to ride to Paris -- he
would fake an illness or miss the time cut to save face.

NS

graduate of the Andrew Albright cyclocross school, and apprentice troll

"Nev Shea" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nev Shea <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > So the sprints could be more interesting with him there, and then he could add some
> > entertainment by some antic like wearing a toga. But I don't think the race is really suffering
> > without him.
>

> I finally figured out who misses Cipo -- it's Lance! Actually, he would only miss having Cipo's
> team to use like Heras did in last year's Vuelta (zebra clad lead out up the Angliru -- HA!)
> after Cipo dropped out. That could help if any of these theories of other teams ganging up on
> Lance come true.
>
> And if Cipo was in this Tour, he would surely drop out before the first mountain, seeing no reason
> to continue just to get spanked by Petacchi again. Forget about his promises to ride to Paris --
> he would fake an illness or miss the time cut to save face.

Usually he would fake an injury.

>From: Nev Shea [email protected]

>graduate of the Andrew Albright cyclocross school, and apprentice troll

So you've learned to look like a geek and get your butt kicked by New England riders. I knew
Andrew served a pupose. Bill C

Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> You've got your head up your ass

True

>because such opinions are subjective.

No, because I'm bothering to argue with you

> I don't try to tell you what you should like (and what you shouldn't like).

You're the one who started posting reasons why you don't like Cipo. When you start rationalizing it
or justifying your dislike, you are implicitly making it other than purely subjective. Now, if you
said "I hate the color blue" and I posted a bunch of reasons why blue was cool, that would be silly.

Ben rbr Professor of Aesthetics

Hey now would be a good time to start eating that Crow. At least Cipo would stay in the tour for a
few mountain stages and suffer before he dropped out. Petachi rode a grand total of 30 miles today
before packing it in. He was just about the only person that abandonded on that first "climb".

It sure makes the TDF director look smart for not inviting Cipo but welcoming Petachi.

"Nev Shea" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> And if Cipo was in this Tour, he would surely drop out before the first mountain, seeing no reason
> to continue just to get spanked by Petacchi again. Forget about his promises to ride to Paris --
> he would fake an illness or miss the time cut to save face.
>
> NS

"Jim Quinn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey now would be a good time to start eating that Crow. At least Cipo
would
> stay in the tour for a few mountain stages and suffer before he dropped
out.
> Petachi rode a grand total of 30 miles today before packing it in. He was just about the only
> person that abandonded on that first "climb".
>
> It sure makes the TDF director look smart for not inviting Cipo but welcoming Petachi.

I'll give him a benefit of doubt.

Didn't he suffered a rather nasty crash in GdI? And he came closer to finishing a GdI than
Mario did.

Jim Quinn wrote:
> Hey now would be a good time to start eating that Crow. At least Cipo would stay in the tour for a
> few mountain stages and suffer before he dropped out. Petachi rode a grand total of 30 miles today
> before packing it in. He was just about the only person that abandonded on that first "climb".
>
> It sure makes the TDF director look smart for not inviting Cipo but welcoming Petachi.

The Director of the tour invites TEAMS not individuals. Fasso Bartolo is the world no 1 team and had
EARNED a right to be there. THEY chose which team members to bring. Domina hadn't earned the right
to be there- quite simple. Cipo should have signed to a higher ranking team.

Jan

---

Jan wrote:
> The Director of the tour invites TEAMS not individuals. Fasso Bartolo is the world no 1 team and
> had EARNED a right to be there. THEY chose which team members to bring. Domina hadn't earned the
> right to be there- quite simple. Cipo should have signed to a higher ranking team.
>
> Jan

Very well stated. Certainly claims the world championship went unconsidered aren't fully justified,
as having the Road Champion on ones team improves ones UCI ranking. However, clearly there is
discretion in the selection of wildcards The claim has been the nature of Domina should have been
what was considered -- a team built around getting wins for Cipo, rather than accumulating a broad
base of UCI points.

It's too bad some of the French teams couldn't ahave been combined in a composite team.

Dan

In article <[email protected]>, Jim Quinn <[email protected]> wrote:
>Hey now would be a good time to start eating that Crow. At least Cipo would stay in the tour for a
>few mountain stages and suffer before he dropped out. Petachi rode a grand total of 30 miles today
>before packing it in. He was just about the only person that abandonded on that first "climb".

Fasso is down to three riders due to a virus, which, according to the team, is why Petacchi
dropped out.

--
Mike Iglesias Email: [email protected] University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
Network & Academic Computing Services FAX: 949-824-2069